Sign in with
Your question

Question for the Masses :D

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2007 8:46:31 PM

Looking to buy a new video card and have been reading up on all the latest between ATI and NVIDIA. I've also been talking to my friends who keep up with this sort of thing and depending on who I talk to, I get various answers. Seems their are people who are pro ATI or pro NVIDIA and have no problems bashing the other side. What I've been trying to do is find some of the facts that I've been told are the reason why they don't like ATI or NVIDIA. So far I haven't been able to find much to support some of the claims against NVIDIA, even searching here on Tom's I haven't found anything that specifically mentions this problem. The problem I'm talking about is a supposed documented fact that a DLL in NVIDA will crash your system on a regular basis.

My current card is a GeForce 5500 and has ran like a champ for me, over the years, but it's getting a little long in the tooth and thou haven't had any huge issues with game play, it's looming with DX10 coming out.

So, can anyone point me to hard facts about this crash problem NVIDIA seems to have, according to my friend who is a hard and fast ATI person.

Thanks for your time.

More about : question masses

March 29, 2007 8:57:36 PM

I totally agree.
March 29, 2007 9:23:07 PM

Does your 5500 crash your pc often?
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 29, 2007 9:24:03 PM

Just go with what you know ,if you have been running nvidea with no probs why change i like ati myself its a personal thing just find a card that does what you want within your budget
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 9:24:29 PM

Running an old FX5200 and an old ATI X300 on all versions of XP, plus Linux, I never had my system crash due to either of them. I know Vista is a major problem for both companies, but then again, I plan on not running Vista till 2008.

Overall, research both companies and figure out the best card for you. Honestly, I'm looking to upgrade the X300 to a 7600GT, but with new DX10 cards due out next month, I'm waiting.
March 29, 2007 9:29:21 PM

I've been on both sides of the ATI/nvidia arguement. I've owned ATI products and I've owned nvidia products. In fact, right now I own an ATI X1600 and a nvidia 7950GT OC in PCIe and a nvidia 6600GT OC in AGP.

From experience I can tell you that there is no such nvidia .dll that crashes your system on a regular basis. I've found the nvidia reference drivers to be more stable than the ATI.

ATI (before the AMD buyout) had horrible drivers and driver support. To this day my ATI displays weird graphic glitches in Unreal Tournement that the 7950 (or the 6600) doesn't.

I also have to say from experience that nvidia tries harder than ATI to correct driver problems. As such, I'm more of a nvidia fan.

That being said, pick a card that you like the specs on and read internet reviews. If you're basing your decision solely on those reviews though, pay close attention to WHO is advertizing on the sites you are reading. Obviously you should take any review of nvidia cards with a grain of salt on any site that's plastered with nvidia ads, and vice-versa on sites plastered with ATI/AMD ads.
March 29, 2007 9:35:18 PM

Quote:
I plan on not running Vista till 2008.

Overall, research both companies and figure out the best card for you. Honestly, I'm looking to upgrade the X300 to a 7600GT, but with new DX10 cards due out next month, I'm waiting.

Ok, so if you're not getting Vista for another 20 months, why on earth would you waste your money on a DX10 card when Microsoft says there will never be DX10 support for Windows XP?

I guess since you didn't specifically say you were going to buy a DX10 card I may be assuming too much. Perhaps you're waiting for the 7 series price drop? In that case, look at the 7950GT OC or the 7950GX2. They'll come down to the current price of a 7600 soon enough.
a c 176 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 29, 2007 10:26:28 PM

Listen to what these people are saying. For the longest time I used a TNT2. I wanted to get a real card, one that supports DX9. I suggest you do the same thing that I did.

The first thing to do is determine your budget. I decided I could afford to spend about $75 on a card. I looked at newegg and at the time I could get a 5200, or a 9250. I went and looked at ebay and found a refurbed 9600PRO AIW card for $70 counting shipping. I bought that. Not because it was an AIW, or an ATI card, but because it was the fastest that I could afford. If I found a 5700 or a 5900 for that price, I would have bought that. (notice I said bought and not bid, I don't mind buying things from an ebay store with a return policy.)

I killed that card (dum dum move on my part...) and did the same thing. Determine budget, find best card that doesn't go overbudget. The next card was a 9700pro. After that, it was my current card, an x1800XT. I could have bought an 7900GT, but I heard about their memory problem, and they were slight more in cost with slightly less in FPS. Because I've owned 3 straight ATI cards, am I an ATI fanboy? I don't believe so. If someone came to me and said they had $300 to spend on a video card, I suggest the 8800GTS. If they have $200, its the x1950pro/XT. If its $100, then I tell them to get a 7600GT. What card you buy should depend on your budget and usage. Whether its an ATI or nvidia should be one of the last things on your list.
March 29, 2007 10:38:12 PM

I have no rabid enthusiasm for either company, it seems silly to.
Really just get the best performer you can afford for either company.
Toms has a pretty easy guide the last few months (best bang for the buck) or something that seem to be pretty fair and straightforward.

For the record, I use an x1950xtx. if it was available at the time i'd have used an 8800gts 320mb for the same price, not because I'm suddenly "pro nvidia" I'm pro "getting the most out of my money."
I made the right choice at the time, it was the best card I could get.
Now, it isn't.
Big deal.
Pick a "this point and no higher" budget and get the best rated card at that price.
March 29, 2007 10:40:48 PM

Well said. :wink:
March 29, 2007 10:57:43 PM

well put!

stop worrying about what others told you about random files and start counting what your willing to spend. Also let us know what ur going to use the card for (basic computing use, vid editing, extreme gaming...etc).Then we shall give you a list of what we think would be good for you.
March 29, 2007 11:00:19 PM

@ razor

Uhh, I have no issues with any ATI cards and UT & most importantly there hasnt been any significant driver impact since AMD acquired ATI, so I'm not sure where your going, but your advice on stability is quite misleading. btw; a 7950GX2 will NEVER drop down that low....they'll kill production before it gets that low, it would cost to much to turn out chips.

anywho:

As for the cards....go with what suits you best as long as your seriously not loosing ground for being a fanboy. (what prompted you to buy an FX series is beyond me though)

I like Nvidia for the dual display support.... although ATI has greatly improved. I perfer ATI for the F@H and if I could get my hands on an 8800GTX I'm sure I'd perfer them for high end gaming.

Most midranged offers are quite close, I personally lean towards ATI because of my experience with them and what they offer feature and performance wise. - I know most people will be happy either way, so it really doesnt matter.
March 29, 2007 11:08:23 PM

I have had 4 Nivida cards (5200,5750,6600,7900) and i have no problems. on the other hand i have had friends who have had ATI cards and Nvidia cards go out on them.

It id not so must the chipset as it is who makes it . Go For ASUS, EVGA and other good companies that make quality stuff.

I don't have any solid evidence but I think Nvidia is better hands down.
March 29, 2007 11:08:48 PM

The fact remains, NVidia is evil.
March 29, 2007 11:17:24 PM

My personal belief in why the R600 hasnt reached market is really quite simple.

With Nvidia's HQ being in California and the physical geography issues that have come into play with the western coast...it was a matter of time before the "destruction" card came into play.

AMD/ATI had begun investing money into Cuban terrorists in the late 90's.
Building enough residual cash through import/export drug materials and agriculture, they began hiring independent contractors to construct channels around the coast and more specifically near NV's HQ. The reason why the R600 hasnt debuted.... all the Canadians $$ is going out west. The plan? Simple, detonate the charges and blame the massive landslide that ends NV as a company and tag it as "California falling into the ocean"

Really its quite genious what their doing.... bringing further meaning to the line "I blame Canada"
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2007 11:22:34 PM

Exactly what I'm doing: waiting for the prices to drop. I don't need a DX10 card, but when they hit, the 7 series should drop in price to the point I may be able to get a good deal on one.
a c 159 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 29, 2007 11:34:31 PM

In a game forum I frequent regularly, I see many postings about nvogl***.dll as having caused a crash. I see it just about as often as I see atiogl**.dll causing a crash :lol:  More often than not, that crash is due to improperly installed drivers (installed over older drivers rather than remove old, driver clean, install new).

Me, I have my Media PC (which runs ATI) and my Gamer PC (which runs NVidia). Neither one has encountered an ogl error in recent memory. As already mentioned, set your price point, do your research, and buy which ever fits your budget/needs.

-Wolf sends
March 29, 2007 11:45:03 PM

Well as an opinion I would agree with very one here. It sounds like the crash is being caused by something else then the Nvidia driver. Some odd software conflct is occuring.

As to buying a new card. I would say wait; I have heard a new version of DX10 is comming out which will make current DX10 cards cheaper.
March 30, 2007 12:00:41 AM

Quote:
@ razor

Uhh, I have no issues with any ATI cards and UT & most importantly there hasnt been any significant driver impact since AMD acquired ATI, so I'm not sure where your going, but your advice on stability is quite misleading. btw; a 7950GX2 will NEVER drop down that low....they'll kill production before it gets that low, it would cost to much to turn out chips.

Who's misleading who here? I never said that ATI wasn't stable. I said they have horrible drivers and driver support. However, stable with a big black square where a projectile graphic should be, in my book, makes a horrible driver.

The GX2 may never go that low (I will concede that), but I can see it coming down plenty before it's out of production. The GT, though, will come down to todays 7600 pricing.
March 30, 2007 12:07:16 AM

Horrible drivers usually means a harp on stability much like what ATI was bashed before the catalysts.

Either way, you've just shot yourself in the foot as their drivers arent anywhere in the same universe as bad as you've claim.
March 30, 2007 12:19:44 AM

Quote:
AMD/ATI had begun investing money into Cuban terrorists in the late 90's.
Building enough residual cash through import/export drug materials and agriculture, they began hiring independent contractors to construct channels around the coast and more specifically near NV's HQ. The reason why the R600 hasnt debuted.... all the Canadians $$ is going out west. The plan? Simple, detonate the charges and blame the massive landslide that ends NV as a company and tag it as "California falling into the ocean"
That's no excuse for nVidia's high council making living chicken sacrifices to please the ATI crapenator god, hey? You NV FANBOY!!!
March 30, 2007 12:21:25 AM

Quote:
Ok, so if you're not getting Vista for another 20 months, why on earth would you waste your money on a DX10 card when Microsoft says there will never be DX10 support for Windows XP?

For the pure raw power, frame rates, max any game out reason thats why. Windows XP does better with dx10 gpu's than vista does.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6164940/p-2.html

ps have you ever owned an ati?
March 30, 2007 1:03:27 AM

Quote:
For the pure raw power, frame rates, max any game out reason thats why. Windows XP does better with dx10 gpu's than vista does.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6164940/p-2.html

Those figures were based on the old drivers. Current ones perform better than XP.
March 30, 2007 1:11:30 AM

I have not seen any web sites showing any recent comparison between the old driver's and the new one's. :?
March 30, 2007 1:47:30 AM

Quote:
from my experience on these forums and the web in general i can say that you are in the minority of users who think ATI's drivers aren't that great. there are usually only a few people who actually believe and alot of hanger on's who like to jump on bandwagons.

oh and how is monthly driver releases bad?

sure, there may be persistent problems but i cannot think of any problems i have had that aren't fixed with the next driver release, come to think of it i just can't think of any problems.

go figure.

I have had cards that went with persistent driver issues for the better part of the cards life. A persistent driver issue is what makes a driver bad. If an issue is ignored for a half dozen driver releases, the driver is persistently BAD. Is it really that difficult to fathom?

I can't speak to the condition of current drivers because I currently only own one single X1600 that's in a machine that's not used for gaming. I can' however, speak from years of experience with ATI. I've been in the hardware business since ATI was supplying Commodore with their fist chip.

Unlike you, I'm not here to turn this into an ATI vs. nvidia debate. I gave my opinion, take it or leave it.

Case closed, over and out, Elvis has left the building...
March 30, 2007 1:53:36 AM

See what you started :tongue:
I can see this thread is headed for wasteland now.
March 30, 2007 2:18:26 AM

Personally, its my opinion that your opinion sucks.... but again, thats opinion. Because A) You've not provided much info other than "the drivers are bad" B) you havent given any credible source other than yourself and finally D) you havent even stated what the issue was. so.....

Tell me, what ATI cards have you owned, and more specifically what issue(s) have you come across? I'm curious....

Since you've been in this business so long, I'd like a detailed explanation, your experience with the problem and eventually your resolution of said thorn.

godspeed.
March 30, 2007 2:35:54 AM

Wow, thanks for all the responses and info all.. :) 

I kind of figured their wasn't a huge problem, but never hurts to check things out. :) 

If some of you thought I was upgrading to Vista, sorry to have mis-lead ya. Just say No to Vista, is my motto right now. :p 

Nothing their to make me want to upgrade just yet. :) 

Thanks again for all the info folks, was a big help, even with the rant type posts. :wink:
March 30, 2007 2:46:35 AM

You can't simply judge a product that way; some cards are simply better than others, no matter if they're ATI or Nvidia.
March 30, 2007 3:28:54 AM

Quote:
See what you started :tongue:
I can see this thread is headed for wasteland now.

This is why I rarely post. There's always someone who comes along and spoils it for everyone else.

It can head to the wasteland just fine without me. Some people were born to cause trouble, and there are those who aren't.
March 30, 2007 3:38:53 AM

I don't have to justify my opinion to you. I responded to the original poster. But, I will give you the most recent example.

ATI X1600 displays a black box in place of the projectile in UT 99, and UT 2004. It's been reported several times by several people. Unresolved as of January this year. Tested with same card on several different motherboard / CPU combinations.

The card is stable, but the driver is faulty.

As for a list of ATI cards I've owned... Hmmm... I'd have to think about that for a while, but I've owned a Rage Pro (PCI), an 8000 series (Radeon 8900 I believe, but I may be wrong), an X1600, and others.
March 30, 2007 3:47:44 AM

Quote:
I've been on both sides of the ATI/nvidia arguement. I've owned ATI products and I've owned nvidia products. In fact, right now I own an ATI X1600 and a nvidia 7950GT OC in PCIe and a nvidia 6600GT OC in AGP.

From experience I can tell you that there is no such nvidia .dll that crashes your system on a regular basis. I've found the nvidia reference drivers to be more stable than the ATI.

ATI (before the AMD buyout) had horrible drivers and driver support. To this day my ATI displays weird graphic glitches in Unreal Tournement that the 7950 (or the 6600) doesn't.

I also have to say from experience that nvidia tries harder than ATI to correct driver problems. As such, I'm more of a nvidia fan.

That being said, pick a card that you like the specs on and read internet reviews. If you're basing your decision solely on those reviews though, pay close attention to WHO is advertizing on the sites you are reading. Obviously you should take any review of nvidia cards with a grain of salt on any site that's plastered with nvidia ads, and vice-versa on sites plastered with ATI/AMD ads.

Hey man we all know that ATI is VASTLY superior to NVidia in every way and only blind idiot wom... dumb person would ever buy and NVidia unit. :wink: :wink: :wink:
-cm
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2007 3:50:58 AM

Quote:

This is why I rarely post. There's always someone who comes along and spoils it for everyone else.

And in this thread that might just be YOU. :tongue:

Quote:
(Radeon 8900 I believe, but I may be wrong)

Yeah you're wrong.

But hey who remembers the cards they owned.... oh wait, those who care enough to talk about how many they owned, especially if they had problems with them, glad they left such an impression on your with at least the name let alone their actions. :twisted:

Personally I've given up providing counterpoints for people like yourself, because it's your limited experience, whereas when everyone's experience is pooled together A=B and no one is without issue.

The best thing to do is simply post an objective list that shows a ton of problems with both;
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/1206/itogi...

The list leans more to one company or the other from month to month, but one thing remains the same, BOTH are on that list in significant numbers.

I'd love to think of the lack of Matrox bugs on that list to mean that there are no bugs, but of course it's because Matrox users don't have time to play games, except on AMD or nV cards using the TripleHead2GO. 8)
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2007 3:56:46 AM

Quote:
You can't simply judge a product that way; some cards are simply better than others, no matter if they're ATI or Nvidia.

I have to say this with only a twinge of sarcasm... :twisted:

If he's felt that the FX 5500 "has ran like a champ for me", I doubt he'll have much trouble with either company's current lineup from top to bottom, and likely has good times ahead like never before. 8)

I would just recommend he be sure to clean out his old drivers when installing the new card (regardless of company), and I think he'll be fine.
March 30, 2007 4:38:38 AM

You dont have to justify shit to me personally (I now know your an idiot) but to this community that your trying to serve...thats another story, and seeing as how I'm part of that community...

I can gaurantee I've owned and used more GPU's from either NV, ATI or 3DFX for that matter. I also guarantee out of the ATI GPU's I have in my possession ( 9250, 9550, 9600xt, 9700pro, 9800XT, X800XT, X1900XT)
*sold the X1800*

I can fire up said game and not have a single issue. So your basing your "expert" opinion on an extreme rarity....

And P to the ma fuggn S

Quote:

ATI X1600 displays a black box in place of the projectile in UT 99, and UT 2004.

Quote:

I can't speak to the condition of current drivers because I currently only own one single X1600 that's in a machine that's NOT USED FOR GAMING. I can' however, speak from years of experience with ATI.

I capitolized the part I thought most funny....... so you contradict yourself alot do you???

You might have been around this industry for quite some length, but as far as I'm concerned, you didnt learn much in that time frame.

And your a liar according to your posts....

Touche'???
March 30, 2007 6:02:07 AM

Halaman Dude :D 

Over the years I've had numerous ATI & NVIDIA vid cards ... all of 'em did their graphics "thing" perfectly within their native capabilities.

One significant thing to me personally that I experienced with every NVIDIA driver release was that the SOB would regularly dork itself, requiring reinstallation. After the 4th NVIDIA GPU I switched to an ATI and I've never ever had self-dorking display driver problems since. BTW, the self-dorking occurred under Win95, 98SE, and 2000.

I'd recommend that you hang on until you're ready to upgrade to Vista (SR1 when it is released) and then compare the desired price-performance you want from both NVIDIA & ATI then. :D 
March 30, 2007 8:40:20 AM

I also have had both ATI / Nvidia and have not really had a preference, it is who has the better deal. The last ATI card I had was a 9800 Pro since it was a better choice over the FX series at the time and I was able to OC it close to +40% (with the ZM80D) - was getting 6600gt speeds out of it. Well not with the stock drivers I had to use the omega drivers since they were optimized & the ATI drivers sucked.

Eventually I replaced it with a 6800GT since Nvidia was cheaper and less power consuming, and a 7800GT replaced that and I now just got a 8800GTS 320. It is always the same story - games get more demanding, I start OCing on stock cooling, I will spend ~$40 on a new GPU cooler and OC it until it is time to put it to the pasture. Or hand it down to my son or brother. If ATI makes a cheaper, more power efficient GPU that OCs like mad I will get it over Nvidia no questions asked.

Some random comments, if you are considering an HTPC/MPC nvidia & linux work well together, although I was impressed w/ my 9800 in XP at high resolutions was crisp and clean my 6800gt was slightly blurry trying to match it in 2d desktop with the HD15 interface. DVI may not be an issue any longer... Almost all linux / entertainment PCs I have seen go w/ an nvidia (FX or better) just for the driver support/convenience over the ATI. Also I have never had an XP/Nvidia driver issue (maybe because I used "driver cleaner pro" religiously?), the only burn I have seen was the 7800 series AGP bug and media playback as of late. The GATOS ATI/linux project merged with xorg a while back so it was nice to have ATI/linux support for my Radeon 7000 64M VIVO card (except the capture). If ATI would release their specs to the open source community it would be a great boon but it will just never happen.
March 30, 2007 10:58:15 AM

I think THG's best bang/buck guide for graphic cards makes this kinds of threads pretty time wasting...

AND

One question folks...

When installing a new driver version (lets say Catalyst 7.3 that's just been launched)...should one completely clean the old one or just do an update directly?

thanks...
March 30, 2007 12:52:17 PM

I haven't had an ati problem since the early 9800 days.
Yes their drivers seem to be a bit buggier than nvidias but you have to remember that most developers use nvidia cards and the architecture is slightly different.
You might, maybe, possibly have some display problems in a few more games with ati drivers (I own, and love my x1950xtx) but it's nothing so earth shattering that I would blindly buy nvidia.
Both are solid brands provided you get one from a solid 3rd party manufacturer. The one great thing about nvidia is that a few of their resellers, evga, xfx, bfg have lifetime warranties which make buying new tech, especially OC'd and very very very hot tech that much easier. Me, I've been fortunate, and I tend to recycle cards pretty often so that I never am out of warranty (just out of money because I can't stop upgrading, really someone help me). I suspect many people are like me, they upgrade before they are ever out of the 3 year warranty period anyway.
Go with what fits your budget. You will be pleased with either. Honestly, the benchmarks prove that there are no clear winner except at specific price points. For the most money, the best single card is the 8800gtx, followed by the 640mb and 320mb gts respectively. I'm a fan (not fanatic) of AMD/ATI in general, although I'd be a liar and stupid to say I'd "never" buy Intel (i'm not going to look a gift conroe in the mouth, I'm just happy with my 939 opty for now) or Nvidia (I previously owned and loved my 7800gt which is now my gfs). After that it gets a bit hazy and the ati cards look great at some attractive prices. THG's recent video card value guide was pretty far I'd follow their guidelines.
March 30, 2007 12:58:33 PM

buy a card, any card, because as with anything, when you buy it and get it, you'll always realise you got the bad one and that the new and improved is already out.
March 30, 2007 2:49:38 PM

Never heard of that one in all these years. I've mainly used Nvidia cards, not because of fanboyism but due to the fact when I've built new they generally are on top at the given time. I have owned two ATI cards for Desktops and one for laptop so far.

I will say this on issues though. While I love my new 1950Pro AGP card because it gave me new lease on games like Oblivion and Quake 4 etc recently over my old 6800GT I was using, the card is not nearly as stable.
I've been monitoring temps regularly and have good ventilation inmy case so I am having to believe, along with many many reports I've read on hardware forums, that even with good cooling and a good card the drivers just aren't as stable. I'm not trying to bash ATI because they have made some awesome GPUs over the years but currently I have more crashes, not related to heat, and more random errors or "pauses" in gameplay with it than I do my 6800GT. I suffer the occasional stagger in gameplay or crash because they are not TOO frequent and only get me killed that extra time on occasion. But in my next gaming rig I will be hard pressed to go ATI to play any game where this could make a huge diff like most online FPSs and MMOs.

Nothing beats being Raid Leader and causing a wipe on a pull that went wrong due to a sudden GPU hiccup or crash :) 

So in closing, if you get a card that the drivers are really mature for in the ATI camp then you're good to go. If its a new card i'd swing to Nvidia.Hopefully they will improve the 1950Pro driver for AGP, for some reason it was behind in drivers compared to the PCI-E version? odd.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 30, 2007 3:57:09 PM

Best to always use the catalist uninstall you can sometimes get away with installing over the top but in my experiance its best to clean install.

Mactronix
March 30, 2007 4:39:04 PM

Quote:
I think THG's best bang/buck guide for graphic cards makes this kinds of threads pretty time wasting...

While they do tell the best per-dollar bang-per-buck, threads like this show there are instances where drivers will have issues, be it instability or performance. It is a shame when it erupts into a flame war :cry:  personally I would rather hear of the hardware specifics when people mention problems, and also prefer to read it from forum threads over newegg comments :lol: 

Quote:
When installing a new driver version (lets say Catalyst 7.3 that's just been launched)...should one completely clean the old one or just do an update directly?

I always use the cleaner, it only takes a second & it's a free d/l. Run it just before you power down to remove your current card and you have a nice clean slate when you put in the new one.
March 30, 2007 4:44:58 PM

I personly would wait for the R600 X2800 XTX2, its about time that ATI will finally dominate the GFX market with these new cards.

Hopefully amd and ati can come up with a killer soulution to destro nvidia, but then again, the CATALYST drivers suck!! :lol: 

guess that we will have to just wait and see :wink:
March 30, 2007 4:52:22 PM

never had problems with either companies.

Buy whatever is in your budget! :p 
March 30, 2007 5:04:12 PM

Quote:

And in this thread that might just be YOU. :tongue:

Quote:
(Radeon 8900 I believe, but I may be wrong)

Yeah you're wrong.

But hey who remembers the cards they owned.... oh wait, those who care enough to talk about how many they owned, especially if they had problems with them, glad they left such an impression on your with at least the name let alone their actions. :twisted:

Personally I've given up providing counterpoints for people like yourself, because it's your limited experience, whereas when everyone's experience is pooled together A=B and no one is without issue.

The best thing to do is simply post an objective list that shows a ton of problems with both;
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/1206/itogi...

The list leans more to one company or the other from month to month, but one thing remains the same, BOTH are on that list in significant numbers.

I'd love to think of the lack of Matrox bugs on that list to mean that there are no bugs, but of course it's because Matrox users don't have time to play games, except on AMD or nV cards using the TripleHead2GO. 8)

Nicely put as usual Grape.
March 30, 2007 5:22:46 PM

Quote:
The plan? Simple, detonate the charges and blame the massive landslide that ends NV as a company and tag it as "California falling into the ocean"

Really its quite genious what their doing.... bringing further meaning to the line "I blame Canada"

And people wonder why I call my Nevada desert sand "Future Beachfront Property". But I keep waiting for the future. What's the delay with those charges detonating?
March 30, 2007 6:14:13 PM

You sure you didn't get a bad card?
I've had no stability problems on mine, it's not oc'd, nor do I have any special cooling on it either.
March 30, 2007 8:05:43 PM

I'll add my two cents:

Been using and testing both Nvidia and Ati cards for the last... geez, I guess almost 15 years now.

Anyway, can't think of either an Ati or Nvidia driver bug worth mentioning in the last few years. Of course both will have quirks and what have you in rare specific titles - but I sure as hell haven't seen anything either of them have a problem with that's so bad I'd choose one over the other based on driver support.

Nah, best card for the money. That's where the smart money's at.
March 30, 2007 8:30:30 PM

I've not had any problems with my video cards.I know that sometimes if you install the drivers with an anti virus running in the background you will get a driver conflickt and that will crash your system.But at no time have I ever had a serious problem with nvidia drivers.Hope this helps some.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
!