ATI's "HDTV Wonder" PCI Tuner Card?

Has anyone used this expansion card in their PC? I added it to a new
computer I just built a few weeks ago, and love the results...so far. I did
have some problems with it locking up my System at first, but after I
downloaded the latest Drivers from ATI all the problems went away. This
card will just ignore anything like the "broadcast flag" and make near
perfect recording on a HDD of ANY Digital broadcast HD or SD. It also has a
NTSC cable ready tuner for old analog TV as well...just to be complete. At
about $190 or less at NewEgg.com, it's a steal.

DER
6 answers Last reply
More about hdtv wonder tuner card

    rigelNOT9@hotemail.com wrote in

    > Has anyone used this expansion card in their PC? I added it to a
    > new computer I just built a few weeks ago, and love the results...so
    > far. I did have some problems with it locking up my System at
    > first, but after I downloaded the latest Drivers from ATI all the
    > problems went away. This card will just ignore anything like the
    > "broadcast flag" and make near perfect recording on a HDD of ANY
    > Digital broadcast HD or SD. It also has a NTSC cable ready tuner
    > for old analog TV as well...just to be complete. At about $190 or
    > less at NewEgg.com, it's a steal.
    >
    > DER

    Can it record 2 HD streams at once?

    Nope, sorry. It only has one tuner. I watch one channel on my HDTV and
    record the second on my PC (when I want to).

    DER

    I think ATI is saying it will work with MCE 2005, which will support one,
    two, or three tuner cards, So we're talking about $400 for two tuners plus
    about $140 for an OEM copy of XP MCE 2005.

    <rigelNOT9@hotemail.com> wrote in message
    > Nope, sorry. It only has one tuner. I watch one channel on my HDTV and
    > record the second on my PC (when I want to).
    >
    > DER

    I get an error message telling me my Nvidia card need an updated driver.
    But ATI and NVidia has me chasing my tail.
    Anybody know of a newsgroup (FAQ) that can offer me some help?

    I sure wish I did! My problem with the HDTV Wonder card is not as bad as
    yours, but then I'm using the Asus AX-600XT PCI-Express vid card. Being
    based on the ATI Radeon chip it works kind'a OK with the ATI HDTV Wonder
    card. Plus the AX-600XT vid card has a Three-wire Component Video output to
    permit you to drive a full sized HDTV. With this combo I can record OTA HD
    broadcast and then play them back on my HDTV downstairs. Also the RF Remote
    works thru the walls so I can control the Computer from in front of the
    HDTV...also neat! The problem I'm having is that the "retro" analog tuner
    also built in the HDTV Wonder card seems to work OK until you try to "close"
    the display on your computer monitor. It will lock up my WinXP Pro system
    every time! Task Manager or any other attempt to get "it" to exit will
    fail. I'm left with this big "white hole" in the center of my monitor
    screen where the Analog TV display used to be. The only fix is to reboot.
    I've gone to ATI's web site and down-loaded/installed all the latest drivers
    for both the HDTV Card and the Vid card. Hey, so I only use it for HD, but
    that is why I got it. It does make for an inexpensive HiDef HDD Recorder,
    that works great so long as you don't try to watch anything on Analog Cable.
    I'm recording on a WD 250GB SATA HDD that gives me more that 35 hours of HD
    recording.

    DER

    www.rage3d.com is a forum w/lots to offer -- see the multimedia section

    "Seedy" <seedyNOSPAM@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > I get an error message telling me my Nvidia card need an updated driver.
    > But ATI and NVidia has me chasing my tail.
    > Anybody know of a newsgroup (FAQ) that can offer me some help?

HDTV Home Theatre