claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wont install.I had a problem that I posted here in another forum and got some advice.Nothing worked so I decided to reinstall WINXP PRO SP2.It goes thru the setup,reformat,copy files etc.When it reboots it goes to a blue error screen that says at the top...<"Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer>" Right under this it says,<IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL>.Then there is a hole lot of other info.Does anyone have any idea whats wrong and why Windows wont install??

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Have you loaded any drivers yet? If so, one is likely offending. If not, I'd run a diagnostic on the hard drive and memory, as they would be the two most likely culprits. You can get the hard drive diagnostic from your hard drive manufacturer's website. For memory, I prefer DocMemory from simmtester.com, or you could use memtest.

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you loaded any drivers yet? If so, one is likely offending. If not, I'd run a diagnostic on the hard drive and memory, as they would be the two most likely culprits. You can get the hard drive diagnostic from your hard drive manufacturer's website. For memory, I prefer DocMemory from simmtester.com, or you could use memtest.

It was running so all of the drivers are installed.How can you run diagnostics if it wont go into windows??I'm not real computer savy so I need simple answers.... :?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
The diagnostic tools are bootable. That means that you don't have to have an operating system installed. You obviously have a computer to use or you wouldn't post here, so go do what Cache suggested and download the utility from your drive manufacturers website and then downlaod one of the memory testers that he suggested. Then make a bootable CD for each one using something like Nero.

Also, I know your space bar works, so use it once after commas and twice after the end of a sentance.

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The diagnostic tools are bootable. That means that you don't have to have an operating system installed. You obviously have a computer to use or you wouldn't post here, so go do what Cache suggested and download the utility from your drive manufacturers website and then downlaod one of the memory testers that he suggested. Then make a bootable CD for each one using something like Nero.

Also, I know your space bar works, so use it once after commas and twice after the end of a sentance.

Ok I tried to get docmemory but the floppy drive in my wifes computer wont work. I had a floppy with memtest and tried it. Here is what the screen showed.
MEMTEST-86 V2.8
2411MHz
L1 CACHE UNKNOWN
L2 CACHE UNKNOWN
MEMORY 2048M
ON
UNEXPECTED INTERRUPT HALTING..

claypidgon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I made a diagnostic CD from this site......here and did the HD est and the memory test and it showed no problems...Windows still wont install.... :cry:

sturm

Splendid
try removing all expansion cards except for the video card, if it has one.
leave only 1 hard drive, 1 cd-rom, memory and video card, and of course the cpu.
Reinstall windows and see if the error still occurs.