denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Has anyone ever put a nice fresh copy of XP on their system, with a few handful of favorite programs, say about 10 or so, WITHOUT ever installing any windows updates yet, and notice how fast everything is??? Windows shuts down and starts up in 3-5-7 seconds, I mean fast!

I am suspicious of updates, does anybody else know what I mean?`

I also used Avast AV instead of Norton this time for now. Norton is slow as molassess and has to do all this and that before you can really get going on something. Well, I can usually get into a game but then that annoying status monitor pops up in the middle of it.

I guess I am just venting because I am trying to find out what in the world it is that causes WINDOWS XP to get so slow eventually, and it can hardly be my RAM or start up programs. But something does it and I almost want to say it is those dang updates themselves.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I don't need luck. It's a fact. Been virus/adware free for over a year now. Been to plenty of malicoius warez sites. Nothing. Try it yourself before you go opening your mouth.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Lots of folks still download email to a program on their computer, or file share with others, which are great ways to get a virus. If your really careful and computer savvy, you might get away with this. But giving this advice out to just anyone without knowing their level of computer competence is irresponsible. Just because you may do it, and it can be done, doesn't mean everyone should, or can. For the majority of people out there this kind of advice would prove to be doom.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Alright You guys... 8O

You both have good points and I appreciate your input. There are many good programs out there to try, and I am just experimenting with differen't ones to get the best performance, so I am open to anything.

Just wondering if anyone experienced the same issues with Windows XP...

For awhile, Windows was taking like 30 passess to finally boot on my X2 machine, and this was after a fresh install. Well, I finally gave into updates because it was bugging the daylights out of me, and now it boots in 5-10 passess like it should...

Funny but I don't ever have that problem with my Pentium D system...

Sometimes windows takes a noticeably long time to boot and I thought perhaps my hard drive was the reason but I am not sure... Any ideas? Or anybody experience this same thing???

:)

sturm

Splendid
I have an install of windows that has been running for 2 years now without any problems. It still boots the same as it did when I finished loading all my stuff on it.
Yes a fresh install is going to be fast. Your registry is small, no startup programs, no weird entries, no nothing to slow it down.
I regulary use registry cleaners, spyware/adware cleaners, run antivirus and a firewall. Firewall due to wifes work requirements.
My other computer is going on 1 year now with no problems.