Neotriple

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Well, recently, my moniter has been turning on and off when I'm surfing the internet. I realized it was only when I clicked on links from time, but it was happening more frequently.

I tried switching out my 7900 GS to a 7900 GT. Same problem. I tried switching DVI ports on my video card..same problem.

I switched the power supply connector from a regular pci-express plug, to a pci-express splitter that splits into two molex connectors - no luck.

I've checked the heat on my computer, and everything is running fine [30C for my e6600, 36-ish for my video card].

Not sure what could be causing the problem, I don't think it's my power supply, as I have a 700 watt OCZ GamerXstream.

Some specs:

e6600 at the stock settings.
EVGA 680i
7900 GS, then tried a 7900 GT
700 watt OCZ GamerXstream
Wireless WPN311 adapter [PCI slot]

Those are the only things I think could be triggering the problem. I also tried a complete, brand new re-install of Windows.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Well, recently, my moniter has been turning on and off when I'm surfing the internet. I realized it was only when I clicked on links from time, but it was happening more frequently.

i had a similar problem with an old crt a few years ago, with flickering and random shrinking of viewable area and such, it was quite weird. alas, my problem sadly ended with the death of the monitor. it seems like you've tested a lot of possible culprits, if another monitor is at all accessible as chungdokwan suggested, that would be the best route. is your monitor new? nice? ...perhaps you could find a tv that you could try...?

Neotriple

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Well, it's fairly new, about 2-3 months.

Well, I set up for an RMA for the moniter. I don't think it could be a problem with a computer, but I'll definately find out when I get my new motherboard in the mail in a couple of days.

Mondoman

Splendid
He means "sync", not sink, but that's not it. Sounds like a problem with your monitor, or, as an extreme outside chance, with your screen saver/power saving settings in windows/BIOS.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Right click desktop>properties>screen saver>power>turn off monitor> set it to never. Case closed.

could be it. otherwise, a rma might not be a terrible idea. i mean you've sorted all hardware stuff out for teh most part.

Neotriple

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
But why would it be doing it WHILE I'm working?

Edit:

I put in an old moniter, and it seems to be working fine, except for some startup problems, which is most likely my motherboard.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Oh PS: Sceptre customer service was great! He let me tell him my information to RMA it on phone etc. Hats off to Sceptre!

Neotriple

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Alright, sorry for the double post, but I hope this will get your attention =\.

I switched moniters, and I continue to have this problem. Any input?

Mondoman

Splendid
That brings us back to the BIOS/Windows power saving and screen saver settings.

If not one of those, why don't you describe in much more detail exactly what is happening, how often it happens, and under what circumstances it happens.

unclepauly

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Alright, sorry for the double post, but I hope this will get your attention =\.

I switched moniters, and I continue to have this problem. Any input?

Have you tried my suggestion from a couple posts back? I had the same problem and that fixed it. It seems windows gets confused about when to actually turn the monitor off and goes haywire.

Neotriple

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Alright, yes, I have tried the turning off moniter settings, again still happens.

About the BIOS and power saving - My computer ran fine for a couple of weeks, and this suddenly started happening. I hadn't changed anything in the BIOS, and everything in BIOS is normal, and on default. I've cleared CMOS, re-installed Windows, but still nothing has fixed it.

I'm thinking it could be the pci-express slot on the motherboard.