How do you unlock XP serial information (windows installat..

April 5, 2005 3:02:53 PM

How do you find windows installation serial key in windows XP?
I lost my CD case with my installation key and I want to install a new hard
drive.
I know the command is in start/run but I can't remember it.
Does anyone know the command?
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:02:54 PM

Assuming that you still have the old hard drive installed, go to
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml, download and run it

"Boody Bandit" wrote:

> How do you find windows installation serial key in windows XP?
> I lost my CD case with my installation key and I want to install a new hard
> drive.
> I know the command is in start/run but I can't remember it.
> Does anyone know the command?

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:24:38 PM

"putasolutions" <putasolutions@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Assuming that you still have the old hard drive installed, go to
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml, download and run it

THANK YOU!
I was so tired of tearing my house apart looking for it.
I already ran the keyfinder and it worked.
Thx again!
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:52:15 PM

Boody Bandit wrote:
> How do you find windows installation serial key in windows XP?
> I lost my CD case with my installation key and I want to install a new hard
> drive.
> I know the command is in start/run but I can't remember it.
> Does anyone know the command?

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: