Good info on upcoming PENRYN and NEHALEM

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Nehalem
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking

Do you think that PENRYN will give Intel the opportunity to regain performances crown, if it loose it following AMD''s Barcelona launch

Total: 30 votes

• Yes, for sure
  • 37 %
  • I think so, but I need to know more
  • 47 %
  • Probably not, it depend on AMD execution with Barcelona
  • 10 %
  • No, Barcelona will maintain AMD''s advance
  • 7 %
March 30, 2007 12:47:18 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

For everybody here that want's to know more then what BARCELONA has to offer, here's a link on information on upcoming PENRYN and NEHALEM.

I'm really excited about this upcoming year. Both AMD and Intel seems to be ready to deliver exciting product unless they screw up badly.

Let us know what you think about this. :D 

More about : good info upcoming penryn nehalem

March 30, 2007 1:51:54 AM

well thanks for the link but there's just too many "ifs" in your question, providing that we have no hard data.
March 30, 2007 2:31:53 AM

I know we don't have very much info yet. My point was only to know what people think of upcoming cpu.... no flame war intended :wink:
Related resources
March 30, 2007 2:39:18 AM

This reminds me of the cold war (Intel vs AMD = US vs Ruskies) :lol:  , nobody wants to release their plans and achievements. (j/k no flamage please) 8)
March 30, 2007 3:51:56 AM

I voted "yes, for sure" because Intel has stated (perhaps unofficially) that they will increase the clockspeed of Penryn if they need to in order to beat Barcelona. I don't think Barcelona will be a fantastic overclocker until it's a few steppings old.

The other caveats of my vote are that we're talking about desktop applications and gaming. In the server and HPC segment, I think Barcelona will be unanswered until Nehalem.
March 30, 2007 4:34:31 AM

Have there been any benchmarks at all for Barcelona? I hope it's a wonderful and extremely fast CPU, but for all I know it's between 386SX and 486DX. Do we have anything other than AMD's word for it that Barcelona will be good?

P.S. Not trying to start a flame war. I just want AMD to hurry up and have something on the shelves that can compete with the QX6700 and force all prices down a bit... I'll get my new CPU from whoever has the best product in August.
:( 
March 30, 2007 4:40:16 AM

At this stage in the game, the only info out there is what AMD has said. In one thread DaSickNinga alluded to having seen some convincing performance numbers for Barcelona, but that information was under NDA. I'd trust the man.

I think that if you're solid about buying in August there will likely be very little supply of the K10 chips, as the most likely launch date is "late summer" or August. For Brisbane, the time between launch and channel availability was a few to several weeks. If availability is low, retail pricing will be high, and it will be tough for the Barcelona to compete with the C2Q on a price/performance basis.
March 30, 2007 5:02:58 AM

Quote:
P.S. Not trying to start a flame war. I just want AMD to hurry up and have something on the shelves that can compete with the QX6700 and force all prices down a bit... I'll get my new CPU from whoever has the best product in August.

Aren't prices low enough yet? 8O A year ago a decent dual core processor would've cost $300 US minimum (X2 3800+). Now for that cash you can get an E6600! :D 
March 30, 2007 5:26:57 AM

Quote:

Aren't prices low enough yet? 8O A year ago a decent dual core processor would've cost $300 US minimum (X2 3800+). Now for that cash you can get an E6600! :D 
No, the prices will only be low enough when one or both companies are bankrupt. Then we will be able to buy chips from a good Chinese owned company. :p 

Just getting things rolling, this is going to be an entertaining flamer. :twisted:
March 30, 2007 12:55:07 PM

The thread does look like it's begging for flaming/fanboy wars, but that hasn't started yet. Maybe people are tired enough of that sort of thing that they're not bothering.

I think about the original question, and I realise we have great chips out now, and at very good prices, historically speaking. By the end of the year, high-end is going to be redefined, maybe even twice. And again in late 2008 when Nehalem comes out, and by which time Barcelona will be mature enough that we'll start to see some clock speed/overclocking headway.

It's been a good year for CPU buyers, and I think there's two more to come. As an enthusiast on a strict budget, it pains me to see how quickly my own hardware is light-years behind the times.
March 30, 2007 3:51:53 PM

I was sure the server was going to melt from all the heat. This price war appears, on it's surface, to be real good for the consumer. I just don't want to see either of the beloved CPU manufacturers crippled or destroyed.
March 30, 2007 4:03:16 PM

Compare the gross margins of the CPU manufacturing industry with any other manufacturing industry. The companies aren't in trouble of performing poorly overall. The worst thing I can see happening is a change in ownership, which might not be a bad thing anyway, so long as competition is preserved.

Again, think of the mark-up a CPU manufacturer can demand for a product, and then think that the person who sews your shirt together makes about 3 cents per item. I think stock holders are complaining because they've had a better than average situation for a long time, and now that competition is a major factor in the marketplace, consumers aren't getting ripped off as badly as before.

Besides, Intel has told investors that the price war will end in 2008.
March 30, 2007 4:33:52 PM

Quote:
Have there been any benchmarks at all for Barcelona? I hope it's a wonderful and extremely fast CPU, but for all I know it's between 386SX and 486DX. Do we have anything other than AMD's word for it that Barcelona will be good?

Between a 386SX and a 486DX... hmm... so you're saying that AMD's next processor is going to be either a 386 DX or a 486 SX... well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's the 486 SX! And if we're lucky it'll have an OverDrive socket as well.
March 30, 2007 11:56:54 PM

A change of ownership opens the door for one or both companies to be bought up by a Chinese company (the state) and I don't like that idea at all.
March 31, 2007 12:52:55 AM

As a Canadian, one has to get used to tycoons in the 'States buying up pretty much everything. FutureShop, Tim Horton's, now it looks like the biggest Canadian telecom business (Bell) is going to be owned in majority south of the border.

Chinese ownership, though, is different. It is quite concerning what the Chinese are buying. Would a citizen of China even have access to this forum through the censored internet? The thing is it's mostly American money coming back at you. People buy goods from WalMart... yeah, a lot of that money stays in the States, but a lot goes overseas. And when a Chinese worker makes 13 cents an hour, who do you think is keeping the profits?

I'm not one of the fundamentalist right-wing persuasion, but buying local has a lot of value to me.
March 31, 2007 1:05:40 AM

Yeah, I'm no fan of Walmart, with their destruction of all the small town economies, but the money has been pouring out of the US since the seventies, China came later. Only God knows what the future will bring, but I don't think it's going to be pretty.