I think this is my final build! *crosses fingers*

WarZephyr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Alrite i think this is it... tell me what u think and could u tell me if it will play games like bf2142, stalker, vanguard:soh, etc etc?

drumroll plzzzzz

HOT NEW! X-Discovery Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display

ULTRA ATX Power Supply(700 Watts XVS Modular)

(Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS

(Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard

Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA)

320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Creative Labs SB Audigy SE

Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

+ all the little things like keyboard, drives, etc etc

= 1707$

:D

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
It will play all those games and more. If no OC, then the E6600 is perfect.
Make sure PSU is adequate for your system.

WarZephyr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
cool. cant waiit, ahhh.

ye isnt vista only like 2 gigs?

so the e6600 isnt good for overclocking?
and
by the system do u mean everything, cuz i thouht 700w would be good enough.

andy more comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
cool. cant waiit, ahhh.

ye isnt vista only like 2 gigs?

so the e6600 isnt good for overclocking?
and
by the system do u mean everything, cuz i thouht 700w would be good enough.

andy more comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

2Gigs is perfect for vista

E6600 is plenty power for non OCers. But, since it looks like you will OC with that watercooling kit then you may get yourself a cheaper E6300. Saving money is an option for you. E6300 OCs very well and so does the E6600. The only difference is the 4MB L2 cache but that shouldnt be a deal breaker!

Your PSU is nice

dietzjack

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
You have an 8800GTX and a Core 2 and 2GB of RAM. Of course it will play all the latest games. Just wondering what your resolution is. You will be fine as long as it's not 2560x1600.
Also Vista will give you a slight performance hit and cause compatibility problems with older games, if you are interested in playing those. Especially OpenGL games. The ones you mentioned should work fine w/ Vista.
PSU: Ultra has a terrible reputation for all their products. If their claimed PSU rating is correct, then you will be more than fine. You need about 450W for your system stock, or 600 for significant overclocking. Nvidia is notorious for lying about how much your Nvidia-powered system needs in terms of PSU.

WarZephyr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Ye that was gonna be my next question. Would it be wiser to get windows xp and upgrade later, or just get vista right now? Cuz im goin to be playing my old games but i will be playing new releases much more.

And ill look up reviews for the psu cuz if ultra isnt good i might have to just pay the extra money and get thermaltake...as a last option.

thx

wilcoxon

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If you have the hard drive space, I would recommend dual-booting Vista and XP (use Vista for everything except where you find problems). To install a dual-booth, install XP first then install Vista as a secondary OS (apparently it gives you the option). The only caveat is that Vista must be installed on a different partition/drive than XP.

For a PSU, I would highly recommend reading this guide and following the link to the Tiered PSU list or PSU Rankings.

faceless

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

If you think 2GB is perfect for vista then tell me this, when you install untivirus program + spyware program + firewall + other gadgets + playing game online you really think you'll be using less than 2GB? Once you break the 2GB you'll dip into your Virtual Memory and you don't want that. I have XP Pro installed on mine and when I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R online my Peak Memory goes over 2GB. So you can imagine what it would take to play on Vista.

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

If you think 2GB is perfect for vista then tell me this, when you install untivirus program + spyware program + firewall + other gadgets + playing game online you really think you'll be using less than 2GB? Once you break the 2GB you'll dip into your Virtual Memory and you don't want that. I have XP Pro installed on mine and when I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R online my Peak Memory goes over 2GB. So you can imagine what it would take to play on Vista.

Obviously never used Vista^

Why the hell would you even instal a memory hogging antivirus unless you don't know what you are doing? Vista comes with a antispyware program. As for firewall, if you wont use the built in one and lets say you get a free one or w/e I NEVER seen firewall software hog memory. Vista also handles memory more effieciently the XP. So please, big PLEASE quiet down na.

As for the topic get win XP first before vista. Win XP now comes with a uprgade coupon, so whenever you feel like upgrading do so. I'm running vista on my laptop and it is great, however, some important programs just got their vista driver and it was a bummer for me to wait. To be on the safe side, go with XP now and Vista upgrade later.