steeeler58

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Ok, my primary hard drive is beginning to make some strange noises so I'm thinking that I should probably replace it. Thing is, I would liek to keep all of my installed software (I don't have all the install disks) and settings. Can someone steer me in the right direction so that I can make an image? or restore point that I can use on a new hard drive? Can I do this with freeware or do I need to buy something?? I appreciate your help!

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
If you get a new drive before the old one dies, most hard drive manufacturers have a copy program that will make an exact copy of your old drive onto a new one. If you want to make an image, you'll need some third party software like Acronis True Image, Casper XP, or Norton Ghost. All these are pay programs. I'm not sure about the free offerings, although I'm sure there are at least some.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
When it comes to this sort of thing you owe yourself to get decent (i.e. backed up by a support line) software - I lost a whole 200GB drive by using freeware for performing a major operation like this.

Just a warning, good luck!