Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

movix sound problems on A8N-SLI

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
March 21, 2006 7:44:09 PM

Yo, I got this MoviX LiveCD, can run it fine, but when I play videos no sound comes out, also at the MoviX loading screen it states - 'no sound card was detected' or something like that.
Would I have to install Realtek ALC850 drivers somehow?(from a floppy)?
Or are there any similar programs that can detect my audio?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.


BTW - If you dont know wot Movix is, look it up on wikipedia, its a great linux LiveCD to play videos/CD's etc without even a hard drive
March 22, 2006 8:42:11 AM

Quote:
Yo, I got this MoviX LiveCD, can run it fine, but when I play videos no sound comes out, also at the MoviX loading screen it states - 'no sound card was detected' or something like that.
Would I have to install Realtek ALC850 drivers somehow?(from a floppy)?
Or are there any similar programs that can detect my audio?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.


BTW - If you dont know wot Movix is, look it up on wikipedia, its a great linux LiveCD to play videos/CD's etc without even a hard drive



I haven't tried MoviX but I use Knoppix ( another great Linux Live CD and DVD ) and it works most of the time.

How recent a version of MoviX is it? Older versions some times have issues.

I have FC4 installed on more than 4 machines and the audio works on all of them -- ASUS A8, A7, MSI K8, and a laptop.


Please open a terminal window and run the following commands:

[code:1:6cabd8a298]
cat /proc/cpuinfo > hw_info
cat /prom/meminfob >> hw_info
lspci >> hw_info
dmesg >> hw_info
lspci -vvvvvvvv >> hw_info
lsdev lspci >> hw_info
date >> hw_info
uname -a >> hw_info
[/code:1:6cabd8a298]

then PM me the contents of the hw_info file
March 22, 2006 12:42:51 PM

Once I have made the hw_info file how do I put it on a floppy so I can put it on the PC that has an internet connection.

BTW - I think it is a problem with ALSA sound drivers.

I might get knoppix , but I only have 1 Disc Drive and no HDD,so will I be able to use Knoppix to play videos if I have to take the Live CD out.
Related resources
March 22, 2006 12:57:06 PM

Quote:
Once I have made the hw_info file how do I put it on a floppy so I can put it on the PC that has an internet connection.

BTW - I think it is a problem with ALSA sound drivers.

I might get knoppix , but I only have 1 Disc Drive and no HDD,so will I be able to use Knoppix to play videos if I have to take the Live CD out.



If your MoviX system has internet access and a web browser you could PM it to me from there. Otherwise you could put it on a USB flash drive:

[code:1:64ff939a2e]
mkdir /usb
mount /dev/sda /usb # USB flash drives are normally assigned /dev/sda - /dev/sdz

# you can run dmesg to see what device entry it was assigned

cp -i hw_info /usb
sync
umount /usb
[/code:1:64ff939a2e]

or floppy:

[code:1:64ff939a2e]
mkdir /floppy
mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
cp -i hw_info /floppy
sync
umount /floppy
[/code:1:64ff939a2e]



The Knoppix Live CD or DVD cannot normally be ejected I'm afraid :-(

However you could install another optical drive for as low as $20 or a DVD recorder for $39.99 DELIVERED from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
March 24, 2006 11:44:49 AM

Still got no sound. But no worries I'm getting my HDD soon, so I will be installing some full linux distro's. Just one thing though - I have found some drivers for Linux on my mobo CD and one of them is for the audio, if I put them on a floppy would I be able to, load them into MoviX or wud they need compiling somehow.

BTW - I really appreciate your help so far
March 24, 2006 12:14:48 PM

Quote:
Still got no sound. But no worries I'm getting my HDD soon, so I will be installing some full linux distro's. Just one thing though - I have found some drivers for Linux on my mobo CD and one of them is for the audio, if I put them on a floppy would I be able to, load them into MoviX or wud they need compiling somehow.

BTW - I really appreciate your help so far



I doubt the drivers are going to work... if you can modprobe or insmod that sound driver it should work.

You could also check to see if there's a newer version of MoviX.

Versions using the 2.6.1x Kernel are a lot better.

Good luck
!