Sign in with
Your question

Intel demos Penryn at 3.33 ghz at Channel Expo 007

Last response: in CPUs
March 30, 2007 5:45:23 AM

Intel talks specifically about Penryn

http://www.chipzilla.com/default.aspx?article=38566

This is what is NEW and has not yet been posted (as far as I know)

Penryn is already running at 3.33 ghz ! :lol: 

Cache is 24 way set associative (sort of implied going from 4 to 6 megs of cache, but this confirms it)

1600FSB,

Half speed clock multipliers
March 30, 2007 6:24:53 AM

8)

3.66 GHZ Penryns are going to make 2.5 GHZ Barcelonas life rather difficult.
March 30, 2007 6:50:41 AM

Quote:
8)

yeh.. providing that AMD actually releases Barcelona in May (not a paper launch).
if AMD decides to wait a little longer... then they'll just find themselves to be between a hard place and a rock.

barcelona is due to launch... in May, and we haven't seen a single benchmark from it. i really wonder why AMD has to hide it, if they really need this chip to save themselves from sinking.
Related resources
March 30, 2007 6:52:58 AM

nice find...

ya i agree its high time amd did come up with barcelona...they will lag behind a lot if not...
March 30, 2007 7:01:41 AM

Quote:
nice find...

ya i agree its high time amd did come up with barcelona...they will lag behind a lot if not...

what i'm curious is, if Barcelona would take over the performance champ from intel, will their desktop version (Agenia?), outperforms Conroe by the same margin?

i'm not sure about this information, but since Barcelona is highly specialized for server segment, i don't know if Agenia would actually outperforms Conroe (i mean, Penryn) by the same margin. since AMD's manufacturing process may not allow jaw-dropping overclocking ability (6000+ vs. X6800), AMD may still lose the war in the desktop segment.

however, nontheless, IMO, whether or not Barcelona's release will perform up to par, it can only save AMD, but not necessarily propel AMD to become another Intel.
March 30, 2007 7:54:36 AM

I dont see how AMD can launch B in May. Thats a month away and there still hasnt been a single benchmark.
March 30, 2007 8:27:21 AM

Good job Intel. Increasing the FSB speed (whereas 1066 is more than enough today, let alone 1333), and lowering the multipliers - I'm sure, all the overclockers will "thank" them.
March 30, 2007 9:26:24 AM

It's definitely interesting. But I think it's wrong for those to say that the consumer wins, which we've heard so much lately. Keep in mind the only reason we are getting such fabulous deals and price slashes is because intel is playing dirtier then ever (I am not a AMD or Intel fanboy..I'm a performance fanboy..whoever has the best chip has my purchase). But the problem is if Barcelona fails and AMD slowly begins to go under...It's actually a bad situation for the consumer...After the fall, prices will begin to rise...Intel will have no real competitor...And by that, advancements on technology will slow in order to milk more cash out of the consumer before switching onto the next big thing.

Overall I'm actually thumbs down for all this aggressive play..>Although I love the performance of these new chips and can't wait for penryn and Barcelona...I really hope AMD can hold themselves up...Cause afterall..Atm they are at a huge disadvantage...and if all this goes uphill for intel and they get what we want..the consumer is not going to get what they want...you can be happy now about the price cuts but in the long run...If intel wins...we're going to be dishing out more money for slower advancements in the CPU market.
March 30, 2007 10:36:31 AM

Quote:
8)

I think that might just be the reason behind AMD's suspicious silence. Their roadmap calls for 2.5GHz Barcys to hold the fort until late 2008 by which time they'll be so hopelessly outclassed that they might as well save themselves the relabeling and just introduce them as Semprons! :twisted:
March 30, 2007 12:05:12 PM

lol your so evil

but semprons? give them SOME credit..

maybe... a64? no.. a256 =O

actually dnt mind me..

oh oh .. the AX4+..... ++++++++++++

8O
March 30, 2007 12:38:46 PM

My selfish opinion is that Intel and AMD owe us cheaper, faster chips for the lack of innovation over the last 3 - 4 years. Yes, I include AMD as well. The Athlon64s were great when they came out, but prices were too high (on the upper level Athlon64s) and advancement in processor strength too slow. It seemed like they were sitting on their thumbs because Intel was snake bit. Although I liked what Hyperthreading did for my DCC apps, for most of that period Intel basically repackaged their P4 family chips with little increments of added value, i.e. Northwood to Prescott, 533Mhz FSB to 800Mhz FSB, socket 478 to 775 with no real benefit, renaming series from P4+Ghz to P4+(5xx, 6xx,) adding 64bit and VT for some procs.

Intel might now just be trying to bury AMD with better, cheaper chips, but IMHO they are just catching up to where they should be on performance.

And AMD, they really should have instituted price drops with AM2, when C2D was still on the horizon and cloaked in speculation. More people would have committed to the AMD platform (X2s) instead of waiting for Conroe. But no, they waited until they had no substantial advantage over Intel chips to start competing in earnest.

I’d be happy if they both companies crank out crazy-fast & cheap chips and compete for my business this year.
March 30, 2007 12:39:09 PM

Pretty dang sweet. AMD has awakened the sleeping giant.
March 30, 2007 12:48:33 PM

actually, have processors with fsb1600 will be a godsend to overclockers, because by having a processor with that they have to garante that on the mobo, stick a c2d in there have a 100% guaranteed fsb1600, how can you go wrong?
March 30, 2007 1:02:46 PM

Quote:
Good job Intel. Increasing the FSB speed (whereas 1066 is more than enough today, let alone 1333), and lowering the multipliers - I'm sure, all the overclockers will "thank" them.
:lol: 
March 30, 2007 1:28:33 PM

Yeah that's all well and good if your into the whole performance thing, but does intel have a 4X4??? :lol: 

So who on this forum was bit on that one for a $400 MB???
March 30, 2007 1:33:53 PM

Quote:
nice find...

what i'm curious is, if Barcelona would take over the performance champ from intel, will their desktop version (Agenia?), outperforms Conroe by the same margin?

i'm not sure about this information, but since Barcelona is highly specialized for server segment, i don't know if Agenia would actually outperforms Conroe (i mean, Penryn) by the same margin. since AMD's manufacturing process may not allow jaw-dropping overclocking ability (6000+ vs. X6800), AMD may still lose the war in the desktop segment.

however, nontheless, IMO, whether or not Barcelona's release will perform up to par, it can only save AMD, but not necessarily propel AMD to become another Intel.

Barcelona is a CPU. Look at what Opteron did for FX.
March 30, 2007 1:35:38 PM

Doom and Gloom.

You all take this too seriously.
March 30, 2007 1:37:54 PM

Quote:
Doom and Gloom.

:lol: 
March 30, 2007 2:28:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's all well and good if your into the whole performance thing, but does intel have a 4X4??? :lol: 

Intel has it and you will see first 4x4 Intel based products arriving this fall.
About AMD and Intel... well AMD s still stron in the server market due to the mem controller... however it wont last long.

And Barcelona wont be able to hold against Tigerton and Dunington from the Intel, which will surface around mid summer.
March 30, 2007 3:48:38 PM

Quote:
lol your so evil

but semprons? give them SOME credit..

maybe... a64? no.. a256 =O

actually dnt mind me..

oh oh .. the AX4+..... ++++++++++++

8O

Yeah, I'm evil! :twisted:

But look at the Sempron argument this way: It's now early Q4 2008. The top Barcy is still 2.5GHz (their roadmap, not mine). By now Penryn is well established in the high 3's, 1.6G FSB. Today's top Sempron is 2.2GHz. If we look at the absolute performance difference between the S3800+ and a QX6700 we're really not that far off in spread as between a 2.5 Barcy and a 3.6 Penryn!

So... It's a Sempron! :D 
March 30, 2007 4:15:30 PM

wow.. why did JJ signed his post as Jeff? :lol: 

dang 1600 FSB? goodluck to the future o/c'ers of that one!
March 30, 2007 4:21:52 PM

Quote:

Intel has it and you will see first 4x4 Intel based products arriving this fall.
About AMD and Intel... well AMD s still stron in the server market due to the mem controller... however it wont last long.

And Barcelona wont be able to hold against Tigerton and Dunington from the Intel, which will surface around mid summer.
just food for thought, maybe the reason why AMD hasn't release any benchmark, is because they want to tweak it to the point that Barcelona has about 2~3 years to live before AMD research for the next architecture?
March 30, 2007 4:40:59 PM

Quote:

just food for thought, maybe the reason why AMD hasn't release any benchmark, is because they want to tweak it to the point that Barcelona has about 2~3 years to live before AMD research for the next architecture?

I would hope they wouldn't wait 2 to 3 years to start R&D. I think that's how they got themselves into this situation they're in now.
March 30, 2007 4:49:26 PM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 30, 2007 5:15:15 PM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Nehalem will have an integrated memory controller.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

from the link

Nehalem will no longer use a FSB but a serial point to point interconnect. Even more revolutionary is the fact that Nehalem will have an integrated memory controller (IMC) and that the number of serial interconnects is variable (Intel's version of "HyperTransport"). Another potentially groundbreaking move is that some Nehalem CPUs will have a GPU integrated (Intel's version of "Fusion"). With an integrated memory controller, new interconnect, and potentially integrated graphics, Nehalem will obviously require a new socket.
March 30, 2007 5:34:12 PM

Ouch.
It seems AMD just can't beat Intel in the desktop.
From what little I know, AMD will do better with pushing the ATI cards because ATI can still beat Nvidia.
For CPUs, I think it's down to blade servers and econo budget chips for office use.
March 30, 2007 10:51:52 PM

ohhhh i geeettt iiitttt....

* runs across the street to the intel camp*
March 31, 2007 12:51:43 AM

Quote:
I dont see how AMD can launch B in May. Thats a month away and there still hasnt been a single benchmark.

well maybe you are young and dont remember the details of the classic Athlon launch in 99

there were no benchmarks either till about a month out from launch when firingsquad.com got a ES of the K7- 550

so it has happened b4...
March 31, 2007 12:53:19 AM

Quote:
Ouch.
From what little I know, AMD will do better with pushing the ATI cards because ATI can still beat Nvidia.
For CPUs, I think it's down to blade servers and econo budget chips for office use.

i hope u can stand by these words if u are wrong...most people who make abolute statements with no facts...tend to switch forums than admit they are wrong
March 31, 2007 2:01:17 AM

Gogogo AMD!!!!!! No! Not THAT way!

Amd? Where are you? Stop hiding in that corner... 8O
March 31, 2007 3:12:36 AM

Quote:

well maybe you are young and dont remember the details of the classic Athlon launch in 99

there were no benchmarks either till about a month out from launch when firingsquad.com got a ES of the K7- 550

so it has happened b4...

The 90 nano-meter PresscHOT/NetBUST chip also had zero pre-release day benchmarks as well.

The fact that there are no benches tells up it's either a disaster (Prescott) or a standup double (Athlon) or maybe something different.

The only fact is, again, that we have no facts :) 
March 31, 2007 3:59:45 AM

*sings a song* we have no facts!! we have no facts!!! blah blah blah!*

seriously though...i think both companies are moving as quickly as each other with intel in the lead because of shear size and years as a chip producer...but the technology is moving at about the same pace...which means amd is going to be able to win at least at SOMETHING!!! and i know it'll have something to do with datacenters...
March 31, 2007 4:23:17 AM

Quote:
ohhhh i geeettt iiitttt....

* runs across the street to the intel camp*

Welcome! Pull up a chair and have a coffee! :lol: 
March 31, 2007 11:08:47 AM

Quote:
Ouch.

i hope u can stand by these words if u are wrong...most people who make abolute statements with no facts...tend to switch forums than admit they are wrong
No facts, I'm just going by the long history since the first Radeon and the K6. The K8 seems to still scale better than the C2D in more than 2-way servers (at least until the Nehalem). I also never known ATI to fall way beind Nvidia (more so since the 9700 Pro). Just general statements and I don't expect anyone to disagree.
March 31, 2007 11:19:37 AM

i think i know where you gettin at...

but still.. come join us at the intel camp! captrobertapril is shouting us free coffeees! !!
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2007 12:36:42 PM

Quote:
Doom and Gloom.

What the bleak future for amd for the next year?
March 31, 2007 12:55:13 PM

Quote:
8)

who knows it may be like the pentiums vs athlons again. the 3ghz pentiums were crap against their rival athlons.
March 31, 2007 2:57:07 PM

Quote:
but still.. come join us at the intel camp! captrobertapril is shouting us free coffeees! !!

Man, not just free coffee! Starbucks Lattes, Macchiatos, even Frappucinos and all in Venti size!

Intel can afford it. After all, it's celebrating the Dawn of the Age of the Monopoly! :twisted:
April 1, 2007 5:57:39 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

microsft : age of monoploy

choose from amd intel or via and battle it out in price wars on an epic scale!
!