woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Following a discussion on the subject I downloaded the demos for several defrag programs and here's what I found:
It narrowed down to two apps, O&O and Vopt. The others, esp the freeware, had spyware imbedded or were downright bad and caused system crashes. Both of these do a more through job than the standard Windows, and both had a small net increase in HD performance, on the order of 1-5%. The Vopt was very fast and had one neat option of putting application files physically together on the drive. O&O Professional is geared to networks and has extensive defrag options. The one clear advantage of both is increased system stability under heavy load, which us overclockers love :mrgreen:
Both are around $40 and I recommend either for hardcore power users and gamers who can spring for that extra percent performance.

For everybody else, defrag all the time to stay healthy.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I have used O&O for a little over a year now and it is very good, I run it in safe mode :)

The only issue I have with O&O is that I need to dissable the service it runs for game resources ;)