XP Pro - can't connect to internet after reinstall

After spending 13 hours dealing with Adobe installation support, their
"solution was "Do a clean install of XP and try installing again."

I had XP up and runniong on my machine with no connection problems at
all, using the drivers for the on-board LAN that came on the
Motherboard install disc. After the reinstall, I can't get connected to
the internet.

Specs: AMD Athlon 64 CPU, Asus A8V-E deluxe MB w/ onboard Marvell
Gigabit LAN and onboard 1394 controller. 2GB Crucial PC3200 RAM.
Western Digital HD. Toshiba DVD+RW drive. Windows XP Pro w/SP1 on the
install disc.

I can connect to the internet for a moment before the connection stops
transferring data. I cannot successfully close the connection. If I
try, the computer hangs. Task manager will not end the connection.
Shutdown always hangs on "Saving your settings."

I have tried removing and reinstalling the LAN and 1394 devices in
Device Maneger and removing and reinstalling the drivers. I have done
three clean reinstallations of the OS on a formatted drive. I simply
cannot get a reliable copnnection to the internet - the problem is the
same every time.

When I orignally set this system up a couple of weeks ago I got
connected to the internet just as soon as I had installed the LAN
driver from the Mobo install disc. It's all the same hardware and
software, only now I can't get connected.I didn't select any different
options when I reinstalled.

Adobe asked me to install the OS on another machine and try installing
the software that wouldn't install before on that, so I did and it
worked. So I clean installed XP on my new machine and the software
installed but I can't connect now.

I'm completely at a loss. None of the KB articles I found addressed the
issue I'm havin. Earthlink support said it's an OS problem.

Any ideas? My blood pressure is dangerously high right now.

Thanks
-Mike

On 5 Apr 2005 21:40:16 -0700, dominant7@hotmail.com wrote:

> After spending 13 hours dealing with Adobe installation support, their
> "solution was "Do a clean install of XP and try installing again."
>
> I had XP up and runniong on my machine with no connection problems at
> all, using the drivers for the on-board LAN that came on the
> Motherboard install disc. After the reinstall, I can't get connected to
> the internet.
>
> Specs: AMD Athlon 64 CPU, Asus A8V-E deluxe MB w/ onboard Marvell
> Gigabit LAN and onboard 1394 controller. 2GB Crucial PC3200 RAM.
> Western Digital HD. Toshiba DVD+RW drive. Windows XP Pro w/SP1 on the
> install disc.
>
> I can connect to the internet for a moment before the connection stops
> transferring data. I cannot successfully close the connection. If I
> try, the computer hangs. Task manager will not end the connection.
> Shutdown always hangs on "Saving your settings."
>
> I have tried removing and reinstalling the LAN and 1394 devices in
> Device Maneger and removing and reinstalling the drivers. I have done
> three clean reinstallations of the OS on a formatted drive. I simply
> cannot get a reliable copnnection to the internet - the problem is the
> same every time.
>
> When I orignally set this system up a couple of weeks ago I got
> connected to the internet just as soon as I had installed the LAN
> driver from the Mobo install disc. It's all the same hardware and
> software, only now I can't get connected.I didn't select any different
> options when I reinstalled.
>
> Adobe asked me to install the OS on another machine and try installing
> the software that wouldn't install before on that, so I did and it
> worked. So I clean installed XP on my new machine and the software
> installed but I can't connect now.
>
> I'm completely at a loss. None of the KB articles I found addressed the
> issue I'm havin. Earthlink support said it's an OS problem.
>
> Any ideas? My blood pressure is dangerously high right now.
>
> Thanks
> -Mike

Mike, it's apparent that you're upset. You've told us a lot but not about
the right things. How did Adobe get into the picture? What software are you
having trouble installing? Error messages?

What kind of connection do you have to the internet? How is the LAN setup?
Does it share an internet connection or is a router used or? Any error
messages? Later in your post, you say that you can get connected but cannot
disconnect?

I get the feeling that part of your concerns is that the motherboard LAN
drivers worked for connecting but the XP drivers are problematic? You
mention trying to reinstall the motherboard drivers. Is that successful or
no?

Anyhow, take a few deep breaths and then post back with specifics on the
problems you're trying to resolve. I'm not saying that I will know the
answer but without more info, no one will be able to offer any useful

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On 6 Apr 2005 09:21:11 -0700, dominant7@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi Sharon
>
> I bought the Adobe Creative Suite 1.3 upgrade. One of the components
> would not install on my system (Pagemaker Plugin Pack). It would not
> give me the opportunity to select a drive to install to, and reported
> that there was not enough room on C: to install to (even though there
> was) and the installer would not continue.
[snipping of the rest of the install info]

I don't know all of the things Adobe had you try. Unless they are aware of
any special problems with their use of the installer, I hesitate to say
this, I think they may have been on the wrong track. There is a way to
"clean up the MS Installer." MVP Rick Rogers (aka Nutcase) has outlined the
process nicely here:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation

Microsoft writes an installer mechanism. The software vendors implement it.
Sometimes they make a mistake in their implementation and have an
installing issue they need to sort. However, on the other side of things:
the installer keeps some info about each software installation (that used
MSI to install) on your drive. That info can become corrupt or damaged from
failed installed and uninstalls. Or conflicting information from multiple
packages from the same vendor. The process recounted at Rick's site helps
to sort out most of the problems that can occur on the MSI side of things.

Doesn't help now as you have these issues resolved but may want to bookmark
that site in case you ever run into a similar problem in the future.

> I connect to the internet through PPPOE on an Alcatel Speed Touch Home
> DSL modem. The connection is not shared - the computer plugs directly
> into the modem. There is no LAN except in the sense that the connection
> to the modem is from the Ethernet port. In Internet
> Options/Connections/LAN settings, "Automatically detect settings" is
> not checked. I didn't have to do any LAN settings when I set the
> machine up the first time and was able to connect, and I didn't have to
> do any LAN settings when I set up the old test machine. As soon as the
> drivers were installed and my login info was entered, the connection
> was enabled. So I'm a little bit at a loss to answer that question.
> What specifically should I be looking for? In Network Connections I see
> my "Earthlink" connection, then below that are the LAN connection
> (Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet) and a 1394 connection.

With your setup, you shouldn't have to put anything special into the
connection properties (unless required by ISP to authenticate with their
network).

What about your IE settings? It's been a while since I've had DSL (now have
cable) but if I remember correctly, I had Internet Options> Connections:
set to "never dial." Background updates still occur with this setting or
will notify you they need a connection which you can then initiate.

I have to run to an appointment right now. I will post again on the rest of
your connection info when I return later today.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank you for your advice, Sharon. I'll try scanning for adware/spyware
when I get a moment as well as trying Earthlink and the other resources
you mentioned.

Does the fact I can connect to my ISP without problems on another
machine with the same OS indicate anything regarding the potential DNS
server problems you mentioned?

Do you think there might be a possibility that the on-board ethernet
hardware coincidentally went bad around the time I was doing all my
reinstalling? I think I will try disabling the on-board ethernet and
putting in a PCI card and see if that does anything. Unfortunately the
time I lost messing with this problem has put me under the gun at work,
so I'm kind of bunched up for troubleshooting time until Monday.

Thanks again for your help!

-Mike

On 7 Apr 2005 21:13:38 -0700, Mycranium wrote:

> Does the fact I can connect to my ISP without problems on another
> machine with the same OS indicate anything regarding the potential DNS
> server problems you mentioned?

Yes, it does and I missed that. It means that DNS problems is not as likely
of an explanation for your problem. I've had this on my mind since DNS
poisoning has been under discussion in another group that I participate in.
It is a current event and is being monitored and analyzed by those in the
know about these kind of things. See the following article for more info.
(http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2005-04-07)

> Do you think there might be a possibility that the on-board ethernet
> hardware coincidentally went bad around the time I was doing all my
> reinstalling? I think I will try disabling the on-board ethernet and
> putting in a PCI card and see if that does anything. Unfortunately the
> time I lost messing with this problem has put me under the gun at work,
> so I'm kind of bunched up for troubleshooting time until Monday.

This is also possible and considering the low cost of NICs is certainly
worth a try. Have seen many mysterious problems disappear when a failed or
faulty NIC is replaced. Replacing a problem piece of hardware should of
course help. It's just usually one of the last things we (I) think of to
check.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

farnerbb

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I have almost the exact same problem. XP Pro SP3, with some further details. Both my PC and wifes' attach to the same router. My PC loses internet connectivity, but hers does not. Disabling my connection does not complete properly, nor does re-enabling it. Doing a Shutdown/Restart, it hangs on Shutdown. Power-button-off will cause the problem to go away, until the next time internet access dies. Packets seem to be sending and receiving much of the time (not always) but there is no connectvity to the network via Firefox or TBird email. I run AVG paid, and RegCure Pro.