K8L, is it worth waiting for ?

babalapia

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I want to buy a new pc ,but the report it said that the K8L was 40% higher than the C2D,I dont know about the truth

What can i do now? waiting or going to buy a E4300? :?:

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I want to buy a new pc ,but the report it said that the K8L was 40% higher than the C2D,I dont know about the truth

Go with AMD if you want to wait another 7-12 months and most likely end up disappointed.

AMD won't release benchmarks on their K8L and are comparing it to what will be Intel's budget line processors at the time of its release.

K8L is all AMD fluff at this point.

babalapia

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I am still using a AMD Athlon XP 2500+(oc to 3200+),bought at four years ago,that is the reason i like AMD more,I just hope the K8L can have a good performance as C2D so that i can give myslef a reason to buy it

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
i just ordered a x2 3600. i hope i like it but i have seen alot of ppl talking good about it. i know it will rock 8) and be better then my p4 1.5ghz :oops:

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

There are a lot of estimates out there right now, but nothing really solid so until we all get some solid benchmarks, we're all in the dark... I think it's fair to say that clock-for-clock the AMD is going to be a faster processor... but that could be a problem for AMD as their initial round is going to be clocking in around 2.3 GHz while Intel is cruising past 3.0 GHz.

I think it's great we all want to be educated buyers, but education and prognastication or two completely different concepts.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
i just ordered a x2 3600. i hope i like it but i have seen alot of ppl talking good about it. i know it will rock 8) and be better then my p4 1.5ghz :oops:
I actually owned a P4 1.5 and it was a dog of a processor to say the least... shame on Intel for pushing that crap on us! And just to set the record straight... I didn't actually BUY it... it was a hand-me-down.

Gianti

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Don't wait for AMD... they wont have anything good in the upcoming months, just get the C2D after the price drop. From all the specs it looks like E6600 and higher will rip upcoming AMD's CPU apart.

Gianti

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Don't wait for AMD... they wont have anything good in the upcoming months, just get the C2D after the price drop. From all the specs it looks like E6600 and higher will rip upcoming AMD's CPU apart.

There is no way that can be determined since there are no benches for the new cpu's from AMD so your statement is just utter crap.

Crap? Don't think so. I've seen them and worked with them, so can't be really crap. Engineering versions of these CPUs were out a long time ago.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

There is no way that can be determined since there are no benches for the new cpu's from AMD so your statement is just utter crap.

Crap? Don't think so. I've seen them and worked with them, so can't be really crap. Engineering versions of these CPUs were out a long time ago.

Where did you get it?
Give us proof :D

Gianti

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

Where did you get it?
Give us proof :D

Engineering samples are used for testing and development by large OEMs. They are shipped out 6-9 months before release. As a proof I can post cell phone shot if the chip a bit later.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Oh, so you mean the lowest-clocked dual core K10 extremely early engineering sample was beaten by an E6600?

Way to go, tool.

There is no way to tell how things will really pan out. K10 will be good, but how good is really up in the air. Your system pales in comparison to any modern system. A C2D build now would work out very, very well for you. Conversely, if you want to stick with AMD, that could work out very well for you also by simply building a system now with an X2 3600+, overclocking to the ~2.8Ghz range and waiting for Agena / Kuma (codenames for the non-server quad-core versions and dual-core versions of K10, respectively) to be released.

Gianti

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I mean that Santa Rosa (2c) and Barcelona (4c) are very unimpressive with engineering samples that were received lately, not talking about P0 versions (7 months ago). It's not the best practice to compare these vs C2D, as they are server CPU's. However, I've seen that there is no way you can get same performance from Barcelona as you can get from Tigerton (upcoming Intel's server chip) and the same trend will follow into the desktop market. They are different in terms of performance for different applications, and the only application were AMD can compete is where the RAM access is the key and that holds true for low-mid amounts of RAM (up to 16G). In this area AMD's CPUs perform a bit better but not significantly better.

Desktop CPUs will follow the same rules here. K10 and whatever comes next will be matching or exceeding C2 only in RAM access, until Intel will release it's integrated mem controller... In all other areas AMD's CPUs are loosing to the respective competitors from Intel by a sizable margin.

sailer

Splendid

If I remember correctly, AMD did not say its new cpu would be 40% faster than C2D, but 40% faster than the current AMD cpu. A bit of a difference there, though it still means the new AMD will be very fast.

Whether or not its worth waiting for is a more of questions that can only be determined later. No one knows at this point how it will compare to Intel's chips, what price it will be, or even how long you'll have to wait before its available.

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
:arrow: Buy C2D now,until AMD actually releases Barcelona everyone is re-hashing old rumors and speculation,maybe it will be better maybe it won't.

Gianti

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
BTW the Barcelonas used in testing are p1 2.8GHz samples

Not possible, Barcelonas will top at about 2.3GHz this year.

In early summer you will see OEMs coming out with 4 cpu servers having 2.8 Barcelonas and up 128G of RAM on board. I have a few early builds in the lab that are still not ready for prime time, but in a month or so it will be taping out. So I would expect to see market appearance this summer.

By the way anand and tom will have a coverage of the upcoming IDF which will have a builds with new Intel's CPUs. That's when we'll see a lot of independent benchmarks.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

No, that's only the quad-cores. There are 2.9Ghz dual-cores announced for launch or near-launch.

But no 2.8Ghz models, :roll:

It sounds like a bunch of FUD from an Intel fanboy to me. He has no proof.

I could just as easily say "Yeah, I work for a large system builder. We got some K10 ES and they destroy the Intel systems. Here, let me show you this cell phone picture of an X2 4200+ I have laying around and tell you that it's a K10 ES."

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

In early summer you will see OEMs coming out with 4 cpu servers having 2.8 Barcelonas and up 128G of RAM on board. I have a few early builds in the lab that are still not ready for prime time, but in a month or so it will be taping out. So I would expect to see market appearance this summer.

By the way anand and tom will have a coverage of the upcoming IDF which will have a builds with new Intel's CPUs. That's when we'll see a lot of independent benchmarks.

I seriously doubt your information as AMD's fabrication process is not good enough to ramp such a high-clock quad-core CPU.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
No, you did not!? :oops:

No, I'm still waiting for Microsoft Bob 2.0! :lol:

but in a month or so it will be taping out. So I would expect to see market appearance this summer.

TIME OUT!

That would mean that it tapes out in May and hits the market a couple of months later? I have it from an authority significantly higher than Deities (Jumping Jack) that the time from taping out to market is more like 8 months!

Am I smoking something weird or are you? :lol:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

I seriously doubt your information as AMD's fabrication process is not good enough to ramp such a high-clock quad-core CPU.

You're right. Read my last post. 2.3Ghz is the highest expected quad-core as of now, unless AMD really feels the need to release a 2.5Ghz model later this year to compete.