64 athlon - windows 32 bit issues

edotom

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hi

I seem to have an strange behaviour when copying files on my 64 bit athlon pc with 32 operating system.

Aparently it doesn't copy files the right way.
I'm new to 64 processors.
Should I use a 64 bit operating system only?
doesn't it work right over 32 bit operating systems?

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Hi

I seem to have an strange behaviour when copying files on my 64 bit athlon pc with 32 operating system.

Aparently it doesn't copy files the right way.
I'm new to 64 processors.
Should I use a 64 bit operating system only?
doesn't it work right over 32 bit operating systems?

It works perfectly with 32 bit OSes. It is least likely that the problem is from CPU, and most likely a bad or conflicting driver for the ide bus. (these drivers are usually built into windows and not offered by vendors)

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Moreover if it is an IDE driver issue - then I surmise that you have an nForce Motherboard. The Nvidia IDE driver has been a problem since nforce1. If you can get it to uninstall (Nvidia's IDE driver) the windows generic IDE driver should function perfectly.

edotom

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
the problem occurs when copying files from the network.
I happened too with a parner which recently updated his computer to athlon 64.
The other computers don't have this issue. Just the ones with brand new 64 bit processors.
It also happened with internet downloaded files

edotom

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I use zone alarm
Other computers on the net use it and they have no problem with backups an iso files as we do over our powerful 64 athlons

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Might help if you explain what MB your using, and if your using more the 1 network card or nic that is on the MB.

Have you checked for any updated drivers (Nic/chipset/bios) you could D/L onto another system that could either fit on another media storage? (floppy, USB pen, or burned to CD)

Edit:

I've also read that some people end up un-installing NV network drivers, and things were back to normal.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Okay.. So the machine doesn't have on board lan nic, and only a wi-fi adapter is installed?

I'm just guessing if you have more then one nic active, and not disabled besides the wi-fi nic, it could be one problem. Firewalls can also cause corrupted files as well.

Also might help to know what chipset your using, is why I asked what kind of MB (motherboard) your using.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh, okay I see it has an on board nic. Is it disabled or enabled?

If it is enabled, I'd recommend rebooting to the bios and disable it. Double check when you get back in windows in 'Network Connections' that you only have one active nic card running, which should be you wi-fi connection.

This would be your MB I off MSI website:

K9VGM-V

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
heh, well, why didn't you say so when I was guessing? :lol: . o O(o'well)

Funny, how installing a wi-fi card would disable the nic card. I'd thought you have to do that manually in the bios. Guess it could be disabled within windows, which should be just as effective. Problem with not disabling it in the bios, the bios still assigns MB resources to the on board nic.

Well, only thing I can guess is the driver or some other network issue. (firewall, or wi-fi router).

Do you get a strong signal from the router?