Best HDTV under $3000

OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
quality image.

Any opinions are appreciated!

- Sleepy (www.hdtv1.com)
21
answers
Last reply
More about best hdtv 3000

    Sleepy wrote:
    > OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    > suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    > even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    > quality image.
    >
    > Any opinions are appreciated!
    >
    > - Sleepy (www.hdtv1.com)

    Sony 34XBR960

    Breathtaking picture quality!!!

    If you're most concerned with picture quality and you don't mind the
    bulky size of rear-projection sets, I highly recommend the following
    models:

    57"
    Hitachi 57S500 (2003 model without tuner)
    or Hitachi 57S715 (2004 model with integrated ATSC tuner)

    Toshiba 57HX93 (not 57H93, there is a signifigant difference)
    Sony's KDP-57WS550

    65"
    Hitachi 65S500
    Toshiba 65HX93
    Sony KDP-65WS550

    I wouldn't recommend anything less than 51". The larger the screen the
    better you can appriciate HD quality. If you're sitting 5-6 feet from
    the screen you should have at least a 51" set, you're setting 9-10
    feet from you screen you probably want at least a 57" set.

    65" is as large as you can get inside your budget.

    Regarding the manufactuers. Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony all make
    outstanding product, trick of it is making sure you get the right
    "series" of product. For Hitachi look for model numbers with a S in
    the middle (57S500, 51S500, etc...) for Toshiba look for model numbers
    with an HX in the middle, HX models should be labeled "Cinema Series".
    There are features in the "higher end" models that are worth their
    nominal $100-$200 extra cost. You may have to shop around for a
    retailer that carries the high-end series (hint: skip Best Buy, unless
    you set on Sony)

    Let your eyes be the judge, and find a knowledge sales assoiciate that
    can explain the differences between models and series.

    -Jeremy

    Sleepy wrote:

    > OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    > suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    > even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    > quality image.

    I'm very happy with my RCA 38" CRT. It's big and heavy, but the picture
    is second to none. It comes with DirecTV tuner built in. Ready for
    HDTV.

    http://www.hometheatermag.com/directviewandplasmatvs/95/

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:52:01 -0400, Sleepy <sleepy@sleepy.net> wrote:

    >OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    >suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    >even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    >quality image.
    >
    >Any opinions are appreciated!
    >
    > - Sleepy (www.hdtv1.com)

    Best images I've seen are glass. LCD and PLASMA seem to have
    artifacts in the pixels that really destroy the HD when displaying
    high motion. My monitor is a Panosonic 32inch. I think it retails
    for $1100 but I got it for $700 (scratch on side). Went to Frys
    (local electronics store) and they had a Sony 42inch glass. Didn't
    see the picture and wouldn't buy an HDTV without first seeing it in
    play, including high motion.

    I had a Sony 60" LCD RPTV for awhile (floor model we took back -- have a new
    KDF-60XS955 on the way) and never saw a single "artifact in pixel" while
    watching sports for 3 weeks. Incredible picture, still or motion. (Took it
    back for startup problems, not the picture)

    mack
    austin

    "Diver" <Diver@Home.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:52:01 -0400, Sleepy <sleepy@sleepy.net> wrote:
    >
    > >OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    > >suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    > >even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    > >quality image.
    > >
    > >Any opinions are appreciated!
    > >
    > > - Sleepy (www.hdtv1.com)
    >
    > Best images I've seen are glass. LCD and PLASMA seem to have
    > artifacts in the pixels that really destroy the HD when displaying
    > high motion. My monitor is a Panosonic 32inch. I think it retails
    > for $1100 but I got it for $700 (scratch on side). Went to Frys
    > (local electronics store) and they had a Sony 42inch glass. Didn't
    > see the picture and wouldn't buy an HDTV without first seeing it in
    > play, including high motion.

    I think this is good advice. You can get a damn good CRT-based RPTV for
    well under $3,000. We had a Sony 48" SD RPTV for years and loved it.

    For SD pictures, your 3:4 diagonal screen size should be about 1/3 the
    distance between the screen and your eye. So, if you sit 12 feet away, a
    48" TV is about right. But you can go bigger for HDTV because of the higher
    resolution.

    We chose the 60" size for our 16:9 HDTV, partially because the 3:4 SD
    picture is still about 48" screen size. Now that we've watched HDTV at that
    size, I would not want to go smaller.

    mack
    austin

    "JDeats" <jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
    > If you're most concerned with picture quality and you don't mind the
    > bulky size of rear-projection sets, I highly recommend the following
    > models:
    >
    > 57"
    > Hitachi 57S500 (2003 model without tuner)
    > or Hitachi 57S715 (2004 model with integrated ATSC tuner)
    >
    > Toshiba 57HX93 (not 57H93, there is a signifigant difference)
    > Sony's KDP-57WS550
    >
    > 65"
    > Hitachi 65S500
    > Toshiba 65HX93
    > Sony KDP-65WS550
    >

    > I wouldn't recommend anything less than 51". The larger the screen the
    > better you can appriciate HD quality. If you're sitting 5-6 feet from
    > the screen you should have at least a 51" set, you're setting 9-10
    > feet from you screen you probably want at least a 57" set.
    >
    > 65" is as large as you can get inside your budget.
    >
    > Regarding the manufactuers. Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony all make
    > outstanding product, trick of it is making sure you get the right
    > "series" of product. For Hitachi look for model numbers with a S in
    > the middle (57S500, 51S500, etc...) for Toshiba look for model numbers
    > with an HX in the middle, HX models should be labeled "Cinema Series".
    > There are features in the "higher end" models that are worth their
    > nominal $100-$200 extra cost. You may have to shop around for a
    > retailer that carries the high-end series (hint: skip Best Buy, unless
    > you set on Sony)
    >
    > Let your eyes be the judge, and find a knowledge sales assoiciate that
    > can explain the differences between models and series.
    >
    > -Jeremy
    >

    > Sleepy <sleepy@sleepy.net> wrote in message
    > > OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    > > suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    > > even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    > > quality image.
    > >
    > > Any opinions are appreciated!
    > >
    > > - Sleepy (www.hdtv1.com)

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:09:22 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
    <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:

    >I had a Sony 60" LCD RPTV for awhile (floor model we took back -- have a new
    >KDF-60XS955 on the way) and never saw a single "artifact in pixel" while
    >watching sports for 3 weeks. Incredible picture, still or motion. (Took it
    >back for startup problems, not the picture)
    >
    >mack
    >austin
    >

    >"Diver" <Diver@Home.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:52:01 -0400, Sleepy <sleepy@sleepy.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    >> >suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    >> >even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    >> >quality image.
    >> >
    >> >Any opinions are appreciated!
    >> >
    >> > - Sleepy (www.hdtv1.com)
    >>
    >> Best images I've seen are glass. LCD and PLASMA seem to have
    >> artifacts in the pixels that really destroy the HD when displaying
    >> high motion. My monitor is a Panosonic 32inch. I think it retails
    >> for $1100 but I got it for $700 (scratch on side). Went to Frys
    >> (local electronics store) and they had a Sony 42inch glass. Didn't
    >> see the picture and wouldn't buy an HDTV without first seeing it in
    >> play, including high motion.

    Saw the artifacts on Olympic broadcast in diving. When still, the
    picture was perfect HD, when diving, worse than analog. I asked the
    salesman who responded with the problems that all LCD/Plasma's have
    this problem. I thought about that for awhile and decided that if I
    spent so much money on a monitor (I was eying a 60" model) I sure
    would be angry. It's most likely the salesmand didn't know what he
    was talking about or there would be many angry owners out there.
    Someone else posted a good recommendation to this thread, let you eyes
    be the judge. See HD before you buy.

    RCA 61-inch DLP. I bought mine on sale at Circuit City for $2800 in July.
    Great picture quality and size does matter.

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:39:57 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:09:22 GMT, "Mack McKinnon" wrote:
    >>
    >>I had a Sony 60" LCD RPTV for awhile (floor model we took back -- have a new
    >>KDF-60XS955 on the way) and never saw a single "artifact in pixel" while
    >>watching sports for 3 weeks. Incredible picture, still or motion. (Took it
    >>back for startup problems, not the picture)
    >
    > Saw the artifacts on Olympic broadcast in diving. When still, the
    >picture was perfect HD, when diving, worse than analog. I asked the
    >salesman who responded with the problems that all LCD/Plasma's have
    >this problem.

    Umm... The Olympic diving image problem was at the source. Everyone
    saw the same horrible pixelation. I know I did on my CRT
    rear-projector. Lesson learned. Salesmen are clueless idiots, and
    are not to be taken seriously.

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:05:39 GMT, dizzy <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:39:57 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:09:22 GMT, "Mack McKinnon" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I had a Sony 60" LCD RPTV for awhile (floor model we took back -- have a new
    >>>KDF-60XS955 on the way) and never saw a single "artifact in pixel" while
    >>>watching sports for 3 weeks. Incredible picture, still or motion. (Took it
    >>>back for startup problems, not the picture)
    >>
    >> Saw the artifacts on Olympic broadcast in diving. When still, the
    >>picture was perfect HD, when diving, worse than analog. I asked the
    >>salesman who responded with the problems that all LCD/Plasma's have
    >>this problem.
    >
    >Umm... The Olympic diving image problem was at the source. Everyone
    >saw the same horrible pixelation. I know I did on my CRT
    >rear-projector. Lesson learned. Salesmen are clueless idiots, and
    >are not to be taken seriously.

    Never saw the diving pixelaton on my panosonic.

    You're ignorance speaks for itself.

    >Salesmen are clueless idiots, and
    > are not to be taken seriously.

    I also happened to see those artifacts on an Olympic broadcast, on display
    models at Fry's. But the salesman there at the time told me that they came
    down from the network, that was using poor equipment and/or transmission
    that caused the action to break up every time an athlete moved. (A real
    problem for sports.)

    You might expect a salesman to say something like that, true or not, but,
    sure enough, during the three weeks I had my Sony HDTV, I don't recall
    seeing another sporting event plagued by pixilations. So, I think the
    salesman was right, that this was just a problem with the NBC HDTV broadcast
    of the Olympics. I don't think you should worry about sporting events such
    as football or baseball pixilating once you get your HDTV. Not a problem.

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:09:22 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
    > <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I had a Sony 60" LCD RPTV for awhile (floor model we took back -- have a
    new
    > >KDF-60XS955 on the way) and never saw a single "artifact in pixel" while
    > >watching sports for 3 weeks. Incredible picture, still or motion. (Took
    it
    > >back for startup problems, not the picture)
    > >
    > >mack
    > >austin
    > >

    > >"Diver" <Diver@Home.com> wrote in message

    > >> Best images I've seen are glass. LCD and PLASMA seem to have
    > >> artifacts in the pixels that really destroy the HD when displaying
    > >> high motion. My monitor is a Panosonic 32inch. I think it retails
    > >> for $1100 but I got it for $700 (scratch on side). Went to Frys
    > >> (local electronics store) and they had a Sony 42inch glass. Didn't
    > >> see the picture and wouldn't buy an HDTV without first seeing it in
    > >> play, including high motion.
    > >
    > Saw the artifacts on Olympic broadcast in diving. When still, the
    > picture was perfect HD, when diving, worse than analog. I asked the
    > salesman who responded with the problems that all LCD/Plasma's have
    > this problem. I thought about that for awhile and decided that if I
    > spent so much money on a monitor (I was eying a 60" model) I sure
    > would be angry. It's most likely the salesmand didn't know what he
    > was talking about or there would be many angry owners out there.
    > Someone else posted a good recommendation to this thread, let you eyes
    > be the judge. See HD before you buy.

    Sleepy sleepy@sleepy.net wrote:

    >OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    >suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    >even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    >quality image.
    >
    >Any opinions are appreciated!

    Sony 34XBR960. I have last year's model, the 34XBR910, and IMHO it is the
    best, sharpest picture you can get. The TV is only 34", but the picture is
    better than larger non-tube TVs at twice the price.

    Michael W.
    Chicago, IL, USA

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:18:33 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:05:39 GMT, dizzy <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>Umm... The Olympic diving image problem was at the source. Everyone
    >>saw the same horrible pixelation. I know I did on my CRT
    >>rear-projector. Lesson learned. Salesmen are clueless idiots, and
    >>are not to be taken seriously.
    >
    >Never saw the diving pixelaton on my panosonic.

    Then you didn't watch diving.

    It was in the broadcast, period.

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:55:00 -0400, "Scott" <crpediem@ptdprolog.net>
    top posted:

    >You're ignorance speaks for itself.

    Said the stupid top poster. The irony.

    dizzy <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:18:33 GMT, Diver@Home.com (Diver) wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:05:39 GMT, dizzy <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Umm... The Olympic diving image problem was at the source. Everyone
    > >>saw the same horrible pixelation. I know I did on my CRT
    > >>rear-projector. Lesson learned. Salesmen are clueless idiots, and
    > >>are not to be taken seriously.
    > >
    > >Never saw the diving pixelaton on my panosonic.
    >
    > Then you didn't watch diving.
    >
    > It was in the broadcast, period.

    I watched the diving and did not see any pielation.
    Chip

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:
    > dizzy <dizzy@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    > > >Never saw the diving pixelaton on my panosonic.
    > >
    > > Then you didn't watch diving.
    > >
    > > It was in the broadcast, period.
    >
    > I watched the diving and did not see any pielation.
    > Chip

    Oops, I used to know how to spell! Pixelation, of course.
    Chip

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    I made a typo, not an ignorant statement.

    "Scott" <crpediem@ptdprolog.net> wrote:
    > You're ignorance speaks for itself.

    "You're" is wrong. It should be "your".
    Who is the ignorant one now?
    Raoul

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:52:01 -0400, Sleepy wrote:

    > OK guys, I have a $3000 budget to buy an HDTV. Anybody have any
    > suggestions for the best buy? I'm not too iinterested in features, or
    > even size necessarily. I'd prefer to just have a crystal-clear high
    > quality image.
    >
    > Any opinions are appreciated!
    >
    > - Sleepy (www.hdtv1.com)

    I have the 50" Sony LCD RPTV, I'm very happy with it. The Sony is just
    under 3K if you don't buy the stand or an extended warranty. The 42" is
    about $500 cheaper, it's probably identical electronics with a smaller
    screen.

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:23:58 -0400, "Scott" <crpediem@ptdprolog.net>
    wrote:

    >I made a typo, not an ignorant statement.

    You don't get it, do you? You're a top-posting moron. Nothing you
    say has any weight.

    >>>You're ignorance speaks for itself.
    >>
    >> Said the stupid top poster. The irony.

HDTV TV Crystal Home Theatre