factory restore

Hi everyone
to cut a VERY VERY VERY LONG story short here is my question

Is it dangerous to restore your computer back to factory settings a few
times in such a small period of time - 3 times in one month. It has already
been done twice due to computer being stuck in a loop when trying to upgrade
it.

i have xp home edition pre installed and i was hoping for the last time, to
restore it back to factory settings!! I just brought internet norton security
2005 and it loaded correctly but i had to take it off for certain reasons and
now it loads with many erros. i was hoping to start all over again!!!!

will any damage be done!! I have been told no that is what it is for but
even in such a small period of time - any advice would be great

thanks :)

Hi,

> Is it dangerous to restore your computer back to factory settings a few
> times in such a small period of time - 3 times in one month. It has
> already
> been done twice due to computer being stuck in a loop when trying to
> upgrade
> it.

No, that's what it is there for. A word of advice, make regular backups of
any file critical to you.

> i have xp home edition pre installed and i was hoping for the last time,
> restore it back to factory settings!! I just brought internet norton
> security
> 2005 and it loaded correctly but i had to take it off for certain reasons
> and
> now it loads with many erros. i was hoping to start all over again!!!!

Typical of Norton (Symantec) products. One more reason I avoid them like the
plague. Symantec has many "clean up" utilities available to aid in proper
removal of their software. You may benefit by using one appropriate to your
product. Check at symantec.com

> will any damage be done!! I have been told no that is what it is for but
> even in such a small period of time - any advice would be great

No, again, there shouldn't be.

> thanks :)

You're welcome.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
> to cut a VERY VERY VERY LONG story short here is my question
>
> Is it dangerous to restore your computer back to factory settings a few
> times in such a small period of time - 3 times in one month. It has
> already
> been done twice due to computer being stuck in a loop when trying to
> upgrade
> it.
>
> i have xp home edition pre installed and i was hoping for the last time,
> restore it back to factory settings!! I just brought internet norton
> security
> 2005 and it loaded correctly but i had to take it off for certain reasons
> and
> now it loads with many erros. i was hoping to start all over again!!!!
>
> will any damage be done!! I have been told no that is what it is for but
> even in such a small period of time - any advice would be great
>
> thanks :)

No there is no problem doing that (over and over again, if need be).
The only 'inconvenience' would be that you loose all your work that has been
done since the last restore, so backup (at the very least) your data before
doing the restore.

george