The Case For A DualSocket Penryn Enthusiast MoBo

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
No, it's not just because I'm lusting for one. (And I am!) 8)

I think it makes total sense. Not just to rub AMD's face in the 4X4 diaper. But for a top end killer machine that although might not be the ultimate gaming platform would certainly make image/video manipulators and other high end workstation users drool.

Yes, I know that there are motherboards on the market and more coming that will accomodate two Penryns, but those are server boards that will require registered RAM. I'd love to see a motherboard that will accomodate that fat and lovely 1.6G FSB with non-reg RAM designed specifically for the poweruser. After all, EEC RAM hasn't done anything special for me lately so I don't care.

What do you guys think are the chances and/or desireability and/or marketability and/or technical obstacles for such a motherboard?

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
No, it's not just because I'm lusting for one. (And I am!) 8)

I think it makes total sense. Not just to rub AMD's face in the 4X4 diaper. But for a top end killer machine that although might not be the ultimate gaming platform would certainly make image/video manipulators and other high end workstation users drool.

Yes, I know that there are motherboards on the market and more coming that will accomodate two Penryns, but those are server boards that will require registered RAM. I'd love to see a motherboard that will accomodate that fat and lovely 1.6G FSB with non-reg RAM designed specifically for the poweruser. After all, EEC RAM hasn't done anything special for me lately so I don't care.

What do you guys think are the chances and/or desireability and/or marketability and/or technical obstacles for such a motherboard?
Yay! V8 FTW! Vroom! :tongue:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Keep in mind it would be going up against the next generation QuadFX (OctoFX?), with dual (or more) R600 derivatives.

Generally, I'd say Intel HAS to to keep up with that, just in terms of threaded application performance.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Keep in mind it would be going up against the next generation QuadFX (OctoFX?), with dual (or more) R600 derivatives.

Generally, I'd say Intel HAS to to keep up with that, just in terms of threaded application performance.

That's what I was hoping someone would say. Do you think that they will carry through with a non-EEC version? Not that registered RAM is that much more expensive these days, but it would be a great expense to avoid, especially since I want a minimum of 8GB!

Yay! V8 FTW! Vroom! :tongue:

Put the pedal to the metal! I wanna hear them 8 cores ROAR! :lol: