Sign in with
Your question

Help me find the right linux!!

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 29, 2006 2:00:12 AM

I have an old Pentium 233, 32MB RAM with a 6gig hd. I've tried mandrake, konoppix and fedora... all were a joke trying to get them to run on this pc. I don't care what it is. I just want to start learning linux (but would really like some type of gui) I need a super slim, low mem linux so that I can run it somewhat smoothly on this age-old comp. I also don't want to have to boot from a cd or anything. I would just like to turn on the comp and have linux boot right up.

Can anyone reccommend anything?

More about : find linux

a b 5 Linux
March 29, 2006 3:43:48 PM

Quote:
I have an old Pentium 233, 32MB RAM with a 6gig hd. I've tried mandrake, konoppix and fedora... all were a joke trying to get them to run on this pc. I don't care what it is. I just want to start learning linux (but would really like some type of gui) I need a super slim, low mem linux so that I can run it somewhat smoothly on this age-old comp. I also don't want to have to boot from a cd or anything. I would just like to turn on the comp and have linux boot right up.

Can anyone reccommend anything?

For something that old you would need something like RedHat 5.x or 6.x or a very light modern distro.

I can boot Knoppix 4.0.2 or even FC4 i386 on a 300MHz AMD Geode with 256MB but it is very slow as you might expect.

The main problem on your machine is the lack of RAM.

Do you have a Pentium 3 or Athlon XP you can try?

You could pickup a working P3 or Athlon XP on ebay for about $150.

What are you planning to do on this machine?

Do you have any other machines laying around? If so what are their specs?

Are you aware of the fact you can dual boot Linux and virtually any other OS or that you can run Linux inside a virtual machine like VMWare ( free ) or QEMU ( free and open source ) under Windows or other operating systems?
!