Sign in with
Your question

ATI crossfire on a normal mother board?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2007 6:28:42 PM

hi, i have a MSI K8 939 pin RS480M2 mother board.. It might sound strange but i m planning to buy a graphic card, a top end one. thinking of x1950xtx but i donno if it supports on my mother board.. also if this one does.. can sumone tell me the requirements like power supply.. i have a normal priya (says 500W on it ) power supply. and also can i put a x1950xt crossfire card on my motherboard? if that doesnt work gotta change my mother board.
plz help

thx in advance.
March 30, 2007 7:45:04 PM

Yes it will work on that motherboard at (PCI Express x16 Graphic Interface). You will need around 30amps on +12V of rails to be safe. That motherboard does not support CF. You will need a different mobo to CF.

Here is a good place to pick a PSU.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
March 30, 2007 7:48:00 PM

it doesnt support CF means.. cant i install even one crossfire x1950xt card into mine mobo??
Related resources
March 30, 2007 8:04:19 PM

Quote:
it doesnt support CD means..cant i install even one crossfire x1950xt card into mine??

Not sure what you are asking.

????
March 30, 2007 8:55:09 PM

ok buddy.. so dat means i can have a regular X1950XT with my pc.. but not the CF one..
thanx for dat info.. btw any gud motherboard recomendations with crossfire support?
March 30, 2007 9:57:42 PM

Yes thats correct.

I had ASUS A8R32-MVP mobo about a year ago and was an impressive mobo, no problems, was running a x2 3800 and an fx55 and 57 with x1900xtx.
March 30, 2007 10:34:35 PM

I love ATi. However, if you are looking for a top-end video card right now, go with Nvidia's 8800 series.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2007 11:27:30 PM

Quote:
ok buddy.. so dat means i can have a regular X1950XT with my pc.. but not the CF one..
thanx for dat info.. btw any gud motherboard recomendations with crossfire support?

Don't understand the need for affectations when it seems clear you guys aren't understanding each other. Maybe that's just me....

But what you seem to be asking (e you're not even clear to me) is whether you can use a Crossfire Card on a normal board. The answer is YES, any X16 board. You don't have to get a regular X1950XT instead if you can find an Xfire one for cheaper. But there's no advantage to a Crossfire version of the card over a regular one.

And what he's trying to make sure you understand is there is no option to add another card on that board to enable the crossfire functionality.

Anywhoo, think that covers it from both ends.
March 31, 2007 9:02:42 AM

Quote:

Don't understand the need for affectations when it seems clear you guys aren't understanding each other. Maybe that's just me....

But what you seem to be asking (e you're not even clear to me) is whether you can use a Crossfire Card on a normal board. The answer is YES, any X16 board. You don't have to get a regular X1950XT instead if you can find an Xfire one for cheaper. But there's no advantage to a Crossfire version of the card over a regular one.

And what he's trying to make sure you understand is there is no option to add another card on that board to enable the crossfire functionality.

Anywhoo, think that covers it from both ends.

now thats wat i actually needed..after lot of confusion .. i think i can think for a confirmation one last time.

THIS IS THE CROSSFIRE CARD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
NOW CAN I PUT THAT ON MY BOARD??
simple yes or no.. the rest i got it. :D 
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2007 5:55:10 PM

Yep it'll work, but the description is wrong.

It's not a 'crossifre card' it's a 'crossfire ready card'

Here's a Crossfire card on the right, compared to a normal croffsire ready card;

Anywhoo, that'll be fine, actually any of them would be fine, but with a true crossfire card you'd loose 1 output for the dongle connector.
!