HDTV connections

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 14, 2004 11:07:56 PM

Hi, I am searching for a PCI card which can accept HDTV signal but I am a
novice, and I would appraciate some help.

First, I have a HDTV cable converter from my cable company, which has both
component output & DVI output. As I have heard, to receive true HDTV, one
use use either one of stated two compnents. But all the HDTV cards in the
market don't seem to have DVI-In or Component-In, and I am wondering why. My
cable company told me that I can only get SDTV from S-Video, composite, or
regular TV cable-in.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

More about : hdtv connections

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 12:50:26 AM

On 14-Oct-2004, "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote:

> First, I have a HDTV cable converter from my cable company, which has both
> component output & DVI output. As I have heard, to receive true HDTV, one
> use use either one of stated two compnents. But all the HDTV cards in the
> market don't seem to have DVI-In or Component-In, and I am wondering why.
> My
> cable company told me that I can only get SDTV from S-Video, composite, or
> regular TV cable-in.

If it's HDTV, it will have either component or DVI input (or perhaps both).
If you have a TV without an HD-capable analog (component) or digital (DVI)
input, then you don't have an HDTV (or you have a very very very
non-standard HDTV).

If it's the latter, you should be able to order some sort of converter from
the manufacturer.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 2:06:45 AM

If your HDTV has DVI or component inputs, you can use either one to connect
your cable box with the TV. The SD signals will reach the TV that way,
along with the HD signals. At least that's the way it works with my HDTV
cable box, a Scientific Atlanta box with component outs.

Maybe the cable company is differentiating between digital and analog
signals. You can only get digital signals from your digital HDTV box, but
they probably have all the SD stations coming out of that as well as the
others. Or you can run your cable through a splitter so that the digital
feed goes into the TV via component or DVI and the analog feed goes into the
TV via coax out of the wall.

All this assuming you do have an HDTV-ready TV and you don't have cable
card, in which case you run cable into the TV right out of the wall even for
HDTV.

mack
austin

"The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am searching for a PCI card which can accept HDTV signal but I am a
> novice, and I would appraciate some help.
>
> First, I have a HDTV cable converter from my cable company, which has both
> component output & DVI output. As I have heard, to receive true HDTV, one
> use use either one of stated two compnents. But all the HDTV cards in the
> market don't seem to have DVI-In or Component-In, and I am wondering why.
My
> cable company told me that I can only get SDTV from S-Video, composite, or
> regular TV cable-in.
>
> Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

October 15, 2004 2:38:11 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. But I think I was not clear on my question. I
have "Two" HDTV Cable Converters. One works with my HDTV, which works
perfectly. Another I want to connect to my computer. In order to receive
HDTV signal, I will need a HDTV capture card or TV Card with component or
DVI input.

However, it seems that all "claimed" HDTV card such as ATI HDTV Wonder,
WinTV-HD do not have component or DVI inputs. This makes me wonder how they
get HDTV signal.

Thanks.

"FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@example.invalid> wrote in message

> On 14-Oct-2004, "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote:
>
> > First, I have a HDTV cable converter from my cable company, which has
both
> > component output & DVI output. As I have heard, to receive true HDTV,
one
> > use use either one of stated two compnents. But all the HDTV cards in
the
> > market don't seem to have DVI-In or Component-In, and I am wondering
why.
> > My
> > cable company told me that I can only get SDTV from S-Video, composite,
or
> > regular TV cable-in.
>
> If it's HDTV, it will have either component or DVI input (or perhaps
both).
> If you have a TV without an HD-capable analog (component) or digital (DVI)
> input, then you don't have an HDTV (or you have a very very very
> non-standard HDTV).
>
> If it's the latter, you should be able to order some sort of converter
from
> the manufacturer.
>
> --
> Chris
>
> Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
> see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:09:42 PM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:38:11 +0000, The One wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your reply. But I think I was not clear on my question. I
> have "Two" HDTV Cable Converters. One works with my HDTV, which works
> perfectly. Another I want to connect to my computer. In order to receive
> HDTV signal, I will need a HDTV capture card or TV Card with component or
> DVI input.
>
> However, it seems that all "claimed" HDTV card such as ATI HDTV Wonder,
> WinTV-HD do not have component or DVI inputs. This makes me wonder how they
> get HDTV signal.

Don't all those cards have OTA tuners in them, such that you plug an
antenna into it?

> Thanks.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:09:52 PM

On 14-Oct-2004, "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your reply. But I think I was not clear on my question. I
> have "Two" HDTV Cable Converters. One works with my HDTV, which works
> perfectly. Another I want to connect to my computer. In order to receive
> HDTV signal, I will need a HDTV capture card or TV Card with component or
> DVI input.
>
> However, it seems that all "claimed" HDTV card such as ATI HDTV Wonder,
> WinTV-HD do not have component or DVI inputs. This makes me wonder how
> they
> get HDTV signal.

Ahh... I understand now.

HDTV cards for computers are merely ATSC tuner cards. They are only good for
receiving OTA (over the air) HDTV and displaying it on your computer. As
such, they only have an "antenna in" jack. Even if this input uses a "coax"
connector, it won't allow you to receive HD from your cable box because (I'm
almost certain) cable boxes only transmit HD signals via DVI or Component
outs. If you tune the cable box to an HD channel, the coax out will contain
a "scaled down" NTSC signal.

What you need is an HDTV card that has a QAM tuner rather than ATSC. I have
yet to find one.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 8:06:49 PM

Dvico makes the Fusion line of cards that include a QAM tuner as well as OTA
8vsb. I have one but have never hooked it up to cable to try it out. Cheap
too.

> What you need is an HDTV card that has a QAM tuner rather than ATSC. I
have
> yet to find one.

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 9:39:27 PM

"FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@example.invalid> wrote in message

> On 14-Oct-2004, "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, thanks for your reply. But I think I was not clear on my question. I
> > have "Two" HDTV Cable Converters. One works with my HDTV, which works
> > perfectly. Another I want to connect to my computer. In order to receive
> > HDTV signal, I will need a HDTV capture card or TV Card with component
or
> > DVI input.
> >
> > However, it seems that all "claimed" HDTV card such as ATI HDTV Wonder,
> > WinTV-HD do not have component or DVI inputs. This makes me wonder how
> > they
> > get HDTV signal.
>
> Ahh... I understand now.
>
> HDTV cards for computers are merely ATSC tuner cards. They are only good
for
> receiving OTA (over the air) HDTV and displaying it on your computer. As
> such, they only have an "antenna in" jack. Even if this input uses a
"coax"
> connector, it won't allow you to receive HD from your cable box because
(I'm
> almost certain) cable boxes only transmit HD signals via DVI or Component
> outs. If you tune the cable box to an HD channel, the coax out will
contain
> a "scaled down" NTSC signal.
>
> What you need is an HDTV card that has a QAM tuner rather than ATSC. I
have
> yet to find one.
>
> --
> Chris
>
> Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
> see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em

ah, I didn't even realize QAM and OTA.had diference. I mean I heard it
before, but didn't paid much attention. Thanks for point me to the right
direction.

I have another question though. With QAM, I am suppose to connect to the
cable line directly? I am not sure if I will receive correct signals by "not
going through the cable box". Especially those non-public brocasting
channels such as Discover HDTV, which is probably encrypted...

Only if I can find any PCI board with either a DVI input or RGB Input...
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 9:49:38 PM

Hi, thanks for the great info. I checked the website. It is very
interesting. They use a software based decoding instead of hardware based.
They even provide the demo software and saved HDTV streams for visitors to
test quality.

However, to use a QAM tuner, I am guessing I would have to connect the tuner
directly to the cable line, and very likely I won't receive the proper
signal.

I was hoping to find a pci card, not necessarily a tuner card, could be a
simple capture card with either RGB input or DVI input. But I have yet to
find one.

Thanks for help.

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dvico makes the Fusion line of cards that include a QAM tuner as well as
OTA
> 8vsb. I have one but have never hooked it up to cable to try it out.
Cheap
> too.
>
> "FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@example.invalid> wrote in message
>
> > What you need is an HDTV card that has a QAM tuner rather than ATSC. I
> have
> > yet to find one.

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:02:38 PM

> However, to use a QAM tuner, I am guessing I would have to connect the
tuner
> directly to the cable line, and very likely I won't receive the proper
> signal.

Yes, quite likely you won't have the proper signal as most cable companies
use some sort of encryption and require box of some kind to decode it. But
you never know until you try it.

> I was hoping to find a pci card, not necessarily a tuner card, could be a
> simple capture card with either RGB input or DVI input. But I have yet to
> find one.
>
> Thanks for help.

There is another thread about that exact device, the consensus is that it
just isn't going to happen. Too much data, too fast, too much copy
protection. Luckily most HD providers have some sort of DVR available
currently or in the near future-cable boxes will soon be required to have
firewire output so you can offload your recorded video. By the way, those
Dvico sample videos you saw are in .TS format. There is a HD binaries
newsgroup that carries nothing but TS files of full movies and TV shows.

--Dan
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 1:47:16 AM

> "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
> > However, to use a QAM tuner, I am guessing I would have to connect the
> tuner
> > directly to the cable line, and very likely I won't receive the proper
> > signal.
>
> Yes, quite likely you won't have the proper signal as most cable companies
> use some sort of encryption and require box of some kind to decode it.
But
> you never know until you try it.
>
> > I was hoping to find a pci card, not necessarily a tuner card, could be
> > simple capture card with either RGB input or DVI input. But I have yet
> > find one.
> >
> > Thanks for help.
>
> There is another thread about that exact device, the consensus is that it
> just isn't going to happen. Too much data, too fast, too much copy
> protection. Luckily most HD providers have some sort of DVR available
> currently or in the near future-cable boxes will soon be required to have
> firewire output so you can offload your recorded video. By the way, those
> Dvico sample videos you saw are in .TS format. There is a HD binaries
> newsgroup that carries nothing but TS files of full movies and TV shows.
>
> --Dan

Here is probably one of such device.
http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html . It has a DVI input.
Looks like pro-sumer product. I wouldn't dare to ask the price. Buying a
HDTV would probably cost less.

What is the name of the TS newsgroup? And what player or codec should I use?
I renamed the extension to mpg, so I could play it with Windows Media
Player. The image quality is amazing, but the sound wasn't demuxed properly.
The FusionHDTV player didn't work for me at all. It kept saying demux error,
directx 8.1 or higher required." I have directx 9 so it must be the codec
problem.

Thanks for the info.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 1:51:19 AM

Disregard what I said about that card, it wasn't it...

> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
> > > However, to use a QAM tuner, I am guessing I would have to connect the
> > tuner
> > > directly to the cable line, and very likely I won't receive the proper
> > > signal.
> >
> > Yes, quite likely you won't have the proper signal as most cable
companies
> > use some sort of encryption and require box of some kind to decode it.
> But
> > you never know until you try it.
> >
> > > I was hoping to find a pci card, not necessarily a tuner card, could
be
> > > simple capture card with either RGB input or DVI input. But I have yet
> > > find one.
> > >
> > > Thanks for help.
> >
> > There is another thread about that exact device, the consensus is that
it
> > just isn't going to happen. Too much data, too fast, too much copy
> > protection. Luckily most HD providers have some sort of DVR available
> > currently or in the near future-cable boxes will soon be required to
have
> > firewire output so you can offload your recorded video. By the way,
those
> > Dvico sample videos you saw are in .TS format. There is a HD binaries
> > newsgroup that carries nothing but TS files of full movies and TV shows.
> >
> > --Dan
>
> Here is probably one of such device.
> http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html . It has a DVI input.
> Looks like pro-sumer product. I wouldn't dare to ask the price. Buying a
> HDTV would probably cost less.
>
> What is the name of the TS newsgroup? And what player or codec should I
use?
> I renamed the extension to mpg, so I could play it with Windows Media
> Player. The image quality is amazing, but the sound wasn't demuxed
properly.
> The FusionHDTV player didn't work for me at all. It kept saying demux
error,
> directx 8.1 or higher required." I have directx 9 so it must be the codec
> problem.
>
> Thanks for the info.

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 11:22:46 AM

"The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote (in part):

>"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> By the way, those
>> Dvico sample videos you saw are in .TS format. There is a HD binaries
>> newsgroup that carries nothing but TS files of full movies and TV shows.
>>
>> --Dan
>
>What is the name of the TS newsgroup?

alt.binaries.hdtv. You might have to subscribe to a premium news
service such as EasyNews or TeraNews to get it. My RR server doesn't
carry it, and probably won't. I doubt Time Warner is eager to help
its customers download movies in HD.

> And what player or codec should I use?

VideoLAN Client (VLC) will play .ts files without extra codecs. It's
also the only player I know of that can handle bin/cue format directly
w/o first converting the .bin file to .mpg. It's free from
www.videolan.org. Each new version seems to trade one set of serious
bugs for another (just like Windows). The latest (0.7.2) sometimes
won't show video in a window, just full-screen. And I find my
computer works better if I reboot after using it.

My current favorite all-around viewer is Zoom Player
(www.inmatrix.com). It can handle .ts files with the addition of the
Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder (www.elecard.com). It's a tad
slower than VLC, but I find it much easier to use, with many more
features that are actually useful.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:23:45 PM

Here's an addition to my previous post. Go to
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread... and
scroll down to nm88's post of 05-12-04 06:33 AM. He tells exactly how
to set up Zoom Player to play TS files using Universal OpenSource MPEG
Splitter instead of the Moonlight-Elecard Decoder. I just found this,
haven't tried it, but it looks good. Especially since all the parts
are free.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:00:43 PM

"Del Mibbler" <mibbler@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote (in part):
> >What is the name of the TS newsgroup?
>
> alt.binaries.hdtv. You might have to subscribe to a premium news
> service such as EasyNews or TeraNews to get it. My RR server doesn't
> carry it, and probably won't. I doubt Time Warner is eager to help
> its customers download movies in HD.

It has been weeks or months since I looked at that newsgroup, I seem to
remember seeing posts about a news service that is somewhat affiliated with
the newsgroup. They charge ~$15 a month for unlimited access, not a bad
deal for HD geeks/pirates. I tried searching for the news provider just now
but couldn't find it.

If I could get no HD service, I would be all over that newsgroup!

--Dan
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:06:28 PM

"The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
> Here is probably one of such device.
> http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html . It has a DVI input.
> Looks like pro-sumer product. I wouldn't dare to ask the price. Buying a
> HDTV would probably cost less.

I didn't look at the link, and I saw that you know it isn't what you want.

A DVI capture card that could record HD would be illegal as far as I know,
HDCP protection is no joke.

However there are cards that accept component input or SDI input, but then
you are faced with the problem of what are you going to do with that data?
The data rates are too high for a consumer PC to compress real time and
while uncompressed you couldn't store the vast amount of data. It would
take SERIOUS money to build a machine to capture uncompressed HD.

Please continue your quest, but keep in mind there are a LOT of people
(myself included) who have gone down the same path you are on and decided it
just isn't going to happen. Again, any questions just ask.

--Dan
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 5:51:07 AM

> "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
> > Here is probably one of such device.
> > http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html . It has a DVI input.
> > Looks like pro-sumer product. I wouldn't dare to ask the price. Buying a
> > HDTV would probably cost less.
>
> I didn't look at the link, and I saw that you know it isn't what you want.
>
> A DVI capture card that could record HD would be illegal as far as I know,
> HDCP protection is no joke.
>
> However there are cards that accept component input or SDI input, but then
> you are faced with the problem of what are you going to do with that data?
> The data rates are too high for a consumer PC to compress real time and
> while uncompressed you couldn't store the vast amount of data. It would
> take SERIOUS money to build a machine to capture uncompressed HD.
>
> Please continue your quest, but keep in mind there are a LOT of people
> (myself included) who have gone down the same path you are on and decided
it
> just isn't going to happen. Again, any questions just ask.
>
> --Dan

Puma PCI Video Windows and Acquisition Card Data Sheet

http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html

This link is from a UK company, so legally probably they can get away with
it? I re-read that page more carefully this time. It does have a DVI-input.
It probably cost a ton of money.

I also found this neat gadget which can accept HDTV signal for playing on a
CRT or LCD monitor. This is not a PCI card, so it cannot capture the video.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/accessories/tvvideopr...
/
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:04:58 AM

> Here's an addition to my previous post. Go to
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread... and
> scroll down to nm88's post of 05-12-04 06:33 AM. He tells exactly how
> to set up Zoom Player to play TS files using Universal OpenSource MPEG
> Splitter instead of the Moonlight-Elecard Decoder. I just found this,
> haven't tried it, but it looks good. Especially since all the parts
> are free.
>
> Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>

Thank you very much for the info! I am going to try it!

Interestingly you also mentioned that Elecard codec works with .ts, I think
my decoder is elecard, but demuxer was something else... Perhaps I should
try to install the codec again. If it is the case, I think media player
would be able to run it. PowerDVD, my favorite, does not work at all.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:46:36 PM

> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
>> > Here is probably one of such device.
>> > http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html . It has a DVI input.
>> > Looks like pro-sumer product. I wouldn't dare to ask the price. Buying
>> > HDTV would probably cost less.
>>
>> I didn't look at the link, and I saw that you know it isn't what you
>> want.
>>
>> A DVI capture card that could record HD would be illegal as far as I
>> know,
>> HDCP protection is no joke.
>>
>> However there are cards that accept component input or SDI input, but
>> then
>> you are faced with the problem of what are you going to do with that
>> data?
>> The data rates are too high for a consumer PC to compress real time and
>> while uncompressed you couldn't store the vast amount of data. It would
>> take SERIOUS money to build a machine to capture uncompressed HD.
>>
>> Please continue your quest, but keep in mind there are a LOT of people
>> (myself included) who have gone down the same path you are on and decided
> it
>> just isn't going to happen. Again, any questions just ask.
>>
>> --Dan
>
> Puma PCI Video Windows and Acquisition Card Data Sheet
>
> http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html
>
> This link is from a UK company, so legally probably they can get away with
> it? I re-read that page more carefully this time. It does have a
> DVI-input.
> It probably cost a ton of money.
>
> I also found this neat gadget which can accept HDTV signal for playing on
> CRT or LCD monitor. This is not a PCI card, so it cannot capture the
> video.
> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/accessories/tvvideopr...
> /

The link specifically says that the card does not capture from DVI (but that
a future version may).
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 3:41:59 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
> > "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
Buying

> >> I didn't look at the link, and I saw that you know it isn't what you
> >> want.
> >>
> >> A DVI capture card that could record HD would be illegal as far as I
> >> know,
> >> HDCP protection is no joke.
> >>
> >> However there are cards that accept component input or SDI input, but
> >> then
> >> you are faced with the problem of what are you going to do with that
> >> data?
> >> The data rates are too high for a consumer PC to compress real time and
> >> while uncompressed you couldn't store the vast amount of data. It
would
> >> take SERIOUS money to build a machine to capture uncompressed HD.
> >>
> >> Please continue your quest, but keep in mind there are a LOT of people
> >> (myself included) who have gone down the same path you are on and
decided
> > it
> >> just isn't going to happen. Again, any questions just ask.
> >>
> >> --Dan
> >
> > Puma PCI Video Windows and Acquisition Card Data Sheet
> >
> > http://www.primagraphics.com/ds/pumapci.html
> >
> > This link is from a UK company, so legally probably they can get away
with
> > it? I re-read that page more carefully this time. It does have a
> > DVI-input.
> > It probably cost a ton of money.
> >
> > I also found this neat gadget which can accept HDTV signal for playing
on
> > CRT or LCD monitor. This is not a PCI card, so it cannot capture the
> > video.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/accessories/tvvideopr...
> > /
>
> The link specifically says that the card does not capture from DVI (but
that
> a future version may).

yes... But it's good if someone just want to watch HDTV on monitor...
!