Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please help me get ms-dos 6.22 on my old comp!

Last response: in Windows XP
March 30, 2006 12:51:56 PM

Ok, here is my situation. My main computer is a laptop with NO floppy drive but I do have a cd burner. My old pentium computer has a floppy and a cd drive. right now im getting comflicting information. Yesterday it was saying I have "FreeCom" when I typed "ver" not it just says "No Operating System Found" unless I boot from an old win98 startup floppy.

I want to get rid of freecom and get ms-dos 6.22. I've tried burning a "bootable" cd with ms-dos install files on it i downloaded from microsoft using nero. However it simulates the a drive when i use it and doesn't let me axcess the c drive. When I boot into the hard drive or use the win98 floppy to boot, I can't find the D: drive. I just want to completely wipe the harddrive and install a fresh ver of ms-dos 6.22.

I'm probably doing something extreemly stupid, thats what you comp techs are here for right? lol. Can anyone help me out?

More about : dos comp

April 10, 2006 4:15:18 AM

Quote:
However it simulates the a drive when i use it and doesn't let me axcess the c drive. When I boot into the hard drive or use the win98 floppy to boot, I can't find the D: drive. I just want to completely wipe the harddrive and install a fresh ver of ms-dos 6.22.

I'm probably doing something extreemly stupid, thats what you comp techs are here for right? lol. Can anyone help me out?

You are saying that when you boot from the CD, you end up at the "A" DOS prompt?

Did you try switching to other drives besides C? See if a B or D drive shows up.

Assuming that your D drive would normally be your CD, I'm guessing neither the floppy or the HD are loading CD drivers, which you would need in order to "see" your CD drive.

As long as you can burn CDs, try searching for Ultimate Boot Disk.... it's a CD .iso that has a ton of freeware utilities that might make this easier for you.
!