Mixing Nvidia card with ATI mobo

I'm building a new box with the P5W DH Deluxe board but was thinking of using the Geforce 8800 GTX GPU until I read that the P5W is set up for the ATI Crossfire. I have no immediate plans of using dual video cards. I'm more concerned with "mixing" video systems. As long as I stay with a single card, do I need to worry about conflicts between Nvidia and ATI? Thanks for the help.

Cheers!
6 answers Last reply
More about mixing nvidia card mobo
  1. PCI-X is PCI-X.Whether the board supports crossfire or sli is irrelevent unless you want to run two cards.But if you are only running one video card in a pci-x slot then you should have no problems.You will need to upgrade to a board that supports sli if,at a later date,you decide to go with sli.Goodluck.

    Dahak

    AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
    EVGA NF4 SLI MB
    2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
    4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
    WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
    ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
    THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
    COOLERMASTER MINI R120
    3DMARK05 13,471
  2. Quote:
    PCI-X is PCI-X.Whether the board supports crossfire or sli is irrelevent unless you want to run two cards.But if you are only running one video card in a pci-x slot then you should have no problems.You will need to upgrade to a board that supports sli if,at a later date,you decide to go with sli.Goodluck.

    Dahak

    AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
    EVGA NF4 SLI MB
    2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
    4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
    WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
    ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
    THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
    COOLERMASTER MINI R120
    3DMARK05 13,471


    PCI-X is NOT pci-e, for your information. PCI-X is pci bus for with wider bus, used on server motherboard, while PCI-e is PCI express, the new standard.

    To OP, if an ATI card can be used with an Intel chipset, just like a nvidia one, then it means that both video card use the same standard. so, if both card has the same standard, and work with their brand chipset, then it means that the chipset has standard pci-e slot. so, if the slots are standard, and the video card are standard, why shouldn't they work toghether?
  3. Quote:
    I'm building a new box with the P5W DH Deluxe board but was thinking of using the Geforce 8800 GTX GPU until I read that the P5W is set up for the ATI Crossfire. I have no immediate plans of using dual video cards. I'm more concerned with "mixing" video systems. As long as I stay with a single card, do I need to worry about conflicts between Nvidia and ATI? Thanks for the help.

    Cheers!

    Don't worry about it. Go to TH's site (this site but the review section) and search for reviews on video cards. There's a review in which they looked at mixing chipsets and video cards. They found it doesn't matter and there was even an ironic twist of one chipset, for e.g., ATI board, performing better with the "opposite" video card (in this example, nvidia) and vice versa. As for a board with ATI Crossfire, there is no problem using a nvidia video card. Just go by price and read reviews on the various cards you're interested in. Then decide.
  4. That is no problem.
    I just built a system based on the P5W DH Deluxe board and my GeForce 7600GT ran fine on it. That I had all kinds of other problems with this board is another story (ended up, in rage, this Saturday racing downtown to get an Intel board instead - MUCH more stabile, however not so feature rich as the Asus).
  5. Quote:
    That is no problem.
    I just built a system based on the P5W DH Deluxe board and my GeForce 7600GT ran fine on it. That I had all kinds of other problems with this board is another story (ended up, in rage, this Saturday racing downtown to get an Intel board instead - MUCH more stabile, however not so feature rich as the Asus).

    That Asus is a good board but based on the 975X chipset. I think it is better than the Intel boards. What was the problem? You could have tried the Asus forums here or the Asus website for the forums there.

    I think the 975X chipset boards don't overclock as well as the other chipset boards, too. It depends what you're trying to do.
  6. Quote:

    That Asus is a good board but based on the 975X chipset. I think it is better than the Intel boards. What was the problem? You could have tried the Asus forums here or the Asus website for the forums there.

    I think the 975X chipset boards don't overclock as well as the other chipset boards, too. It depends what you're trying to do.


    Well it depends on how you set your criteria on what makes a board good or better. Certainly, if you look for snassy features, Asus is way ahead. Speaking pure assembly quality, who knows.
    I had several problems with the P5W board, all of which isolated would have been acceptable, but adding up it was too much. Examples: My NIC never got to work on it. Not sure if it was the PCI slot or what was malfunctioning. The RAID0+1 option by cross-configuring the EZ_RAID with the other RAID controller seemed not-so-elegant and I suspect that was the reason Symantec Ghost had problems detecting the drives (in fact, Ghost crashed) - the drive performance is also lower than what I got from 0+1 on the Intel board, but that might be due to OS not sure. Though working in Windows XP 32, I never got the onboard sound to work on Vista 64, although I downloaded and installed "Vista x64" drivers from Asus website.

    I am not at all "anti Asus", in fact for several years up until now I have been using Asus exclusively on mobos. My last Socket 939 A8N-Sli I was extremely happy with, and Asus seemed the natural choice when I built this system.

    The Intel board I got instead I must say I am very pleased with it. I am not into overclocking nor all the fancy features Asus comes with, thus therefore the Intel is "enough" for me.
    To make things easier, when I installed Vista 64 on it, all drivers were found by Vista and I didn not have to struggle with anything here. Getting the latest drivers from Intel website was a blessing - easy and straight forward, which I think asus can learn from since on Asus driver pages it sometimes can seem ambigious which driver one should get (they usually post several (newer and/or older) drivers for same component which sometimes can seem confusing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus ATI Nvidia Motherboards