Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 disc.. not loading?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 29, 2009 4:50:39 PM

Hello everyone, I am trying to upgrade my vista pc to 7 with the oem upgrade disc, but it is not loading from vista. I have also tried setting the boot to dvd drive and attempting a clean install, but still no luck. Any suggestions? Could I have gotten a bad disc? Or is there something I am missing....

More about : windows disc loading

a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 29, 2009 6:47:32 PM

Do you know what DVD drive you have? Could you post the model number? At this point, it is possible that you have a bad disk, but lets make sure the dvd drive itself is not to blame here, first.
m
l
November 29, 2009 7:15:39 PM

Edit: I tried some other discs that did not work, so i don't think its the disc

Edit Edit: I forgot to mention that I deleted my win7 RC partition, which is when i believe this trouble started, as after doing so I attempted to boot from vista cd and repair but it wouldn't let me

It is a samsung 20x with lightscribe, Says TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N ATA device, and I previously had problems with the device not being recognized at all, so I went into the whole regedit scenario and deleted upper/lower filters. I went back into regedit today and found the upperfilters found thier way back, and I deleted them. I have had lots of trouble with burning discs since I built my pc, also.

sorry for the huge post, I am just not sure which could be the cause of it
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 29, 2009 8:59:57 PM

Not a problem... i don't mind reading a bit, and some of my posts beat this one by a mile...

Maybe try updating the firmware for the samsung drive? I had an LG drive stop burning and reading disks altogether, just recently. Removing Upper and Lower filters didn't help it, so I flashed the firmware again (there were no updates since I last did it, but I figured, what the hell... it doesn't work anyway) and it started working perfectly.
November 29, 2009 9:18:49 PM

Thanks, so how exactly do I do that? I thought all drives ran on generic drivers
m
l
November 29, 2009 9:51:10 PM

Actually, just reinstalled the firmware, no luck, sounds like its making some weird noise as well, and when I put a disc in it will load for a little, with the little disc/cursor popping up occasionally for about a minute, then it will say insert disc and the ODD pops out
Edit: actualy, on second thought maybe I didn't upgrade the firmware correctly. But just to be clear, if it was a firmware-solvable problem, would it also stop the ODD from working in the BIOS? Is the firmware built in to the ODD or is it on the HDD?
m
l
November 29, 2009 10:11:49 PM

Thank God, lol, I messed around in my case a bit and it is now recognizing it, in addition to flashing the firmware, thanks for answering man, enjoy the "best post" honor
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 29, 2009 10:20:08 PM

Glad to hear it's working now!
m
l
!