My Computer can't find CD Drive

ThePriest

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Recently, i purchased a new IDE 80-wire cable, and replaced my old 40-conductor one. I used to connect the hdd and the cd-rw the following way on the previous pc. they were all on one cable, hdd was master, cd-rw was slave and everything worked fine. now when i put the cables the same way, it doesnt find any of the drives, but when i put the cd-rw as master, and the hdd as slave, it find both of them in the bios, windows boots normally, but cd-rw does not appear on computer. when i go to device manager, it doesnt give me any errors or conflicts, but it also doesnt list the cd-rw. What do i need to do to make the cd-rw visible in my computer again?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The hard drive should be set to Master and be connected at the top of the cable and the DVD should be set to Slave. Could also try a different data cable

ThePriest

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
It finally found it. I did what you suggested, i set up the hdd as master and the cd-rw as slave AND the way the cables were connected before, and it found everything. i guess after connecting the cables the other way before, i moved some of the jumpers. i tried setting the cd as master and the hdd as slave, as the cable seemed a bit too short. Thanks for the fast reply