access denied in my computer desktop icon

I recently installed xp professional and downloaded the sp2. After all this i
ran a regvac and webroot window washer. Not quite sure which one is the
culprit, but anyway, here is my problem.
When I right click on my "My Computer" desktop icon and click manage, a
little box appears on the desktop saying "access denied". It also has the
word desktop at the top of this box. All the other right click functions work
ie right click properties and the system properties box appears ok. Is there
a reg link missing in the registry? Was it sp2 or regvac?
Please help
I just want to be able to right click on my computer desktop icon and click
manage, and have it working.
Any ideas?
Many thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about access denied computer desktop icon

    Hi John,

    If your regvac and webroot programs have an undo function, now would be the
    time to use them. Registry cleaners are especially suspect as they are known
    to remove needed entries. What is now missing from yours would be difficult
    if not impossible to figure out, so you may wind up doing a repair
    installation to recreate them (instructions in the link below). SP2 would
    not cause this (or any) issue relagated to permissions (which is what the
    problem is).

    Repair installation steps:

    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    >I recently installed xp professional and downloaded the sp2. After all this
    > ran a regvac and webroot window washer. Not quite sure which one is the
    > culprit, but anyway, here is my problem.
    > When I right click on my "My Computer" desktop icon and click manage, a
    > little box appears on the desktop saying "access denied". It also has the
    > word desktop at the top of this box. All the other right click functions
    > work
    > ie right click properties and the system properties box appears ok. Is
    > there
    > a reg link missing in the registry? Was it sp2 or regvac?
    > Please help
    > I just want to be able to right click on my computer desktop icon and
    > click
    > manage, and have it working.
    > Any ideas?
    > Many thanks

    Thanks Rick. I have tried many things. I could do a repair reinstall, but
    thought that if there was a registry permission link or something i could
    just type in the registry to make this work. Someone must have had this
    problem before. I am not using the regvac now. window washer is ok just on
    its basic settings.
    Is there anyway to get this working with a registry line of code? Or what
    ever you call it?
    Is there is, then it solves the problem. If not I will have to do a repair
    install. This still might not fix the issue.
    Cheers anyway

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi John,
    >
    > If your regvac and webroot programs have an undo function, now would be the
    > time to use them. Registry cleaners are especially suspect as they are known
    > to remove needed entries. What is now missing from yours would be difficult
    > if not impossible to figure out, so you may wind up doing a repair
    > installation to recreate them (instructions in the link below). SP2 would
    > not cause this (or any) issue relagated to permissions (which is what the
    > problem is).
    >
    > Repair installation steps:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently installed xp professional and downloaded the sp2. After all this
    > > ran a regvac and webroot window washer. Not quite sure which one is the
    > > culprit, but anyway, here is my problem.
    > > When I right click on my "My Computer" desktop icon and click manage, a
    > > little box appears on the desktop saying "access denied". It also has the
    > > word desktop at the top of this box. All the other right click functions
    > > work
    > > ie right click properties and the system properties box appears ok. Is
    > > there
    > > a reg link missing in the registry? Was it sp2 or regvac?
    > > Please help
    > > I just want to be able to right click on my computer desktop icon and
    > > click
    > > manage, and have it working.
    > > Any ideas?
    > > Many thanks

    Hi,

    I can't tell you what registry line was removed, so I can't tell you what
    one to put back. That's the problem I was alluding to earlier. The best bet
    is the undo file of the cleaner, otherwise.....

    --

> [...]
    >> > click
    >> > manage, and have it working.
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> > Many thanks

    >I recently installed xp professional and downloaded the sp2. After all this
    > ran a regvac and webroot window washer. Not quite sure which one is the
    > culprit, but anyway, here is my problem.
    > When I right click on my "My Computer" desktop icon and click manage, a
    > little box appears on the desktop saying "access denied". It also has the
    > word desktop at the top of this box. All the other right click functions
    > work
    > ie right click properties and the system properties box appears ok. Is
    > there
    > a reg link missing in the registry? Was it sp2 or regvac?
    > Please help
    > I just want to be able to right click on my computer desktop icon and

    Hi John,

    Looking for a starting point the first thing I would try ( This will be to
    see if there is a registry entry missing that prevents desired action).
    Go to Start
    Run
    Type in --
    compmgmt.msc
    Hit enter.
    If that does the trick you have a starting point.
    If it doesn't help search for:
    compmgmt.msc
    If C is your system drive it should be in:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    If not there use msconfig and expand it to the appropriate location:
    Systemdrive\windows\system32
    Check for operation.
    If the .msc file is in proper location and it works only when typed in then
    maybe someone with much more knowledge of the registry than I have can help
    you.
    If still no luck I can only hope that someone else can solve your problem.

    Oldguy

    Follow-up: see inline

    "Oldguy" <IwishIcouldRemember@the.volleyball.net> wrote in message

    > "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently installed xp professional and downloaded the sp2. After all
    >>this i
    >> ran a regvac and webroot window washer. Not quite sure which one is the
    >> culprit, but anyway, here is my problem.
    >> When I right click on my "My Computer" desktop icon and click manage, a
    >> little box appears on the desktop saying "access denied". It also has the
    >> word desktop at the top of this box. All the other right click functions
    >> work
    >> ie right click properties and the system properties box appears ok. Is
    >> there
    >> a reg link missing in the registry? Was it sp2 or regvac?
    >> Please help
    >> I just want to be able to right click on my computer desktop icon and
    >> click
    >> manage, and have it working.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Many thanks
    >
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Looking for a starting point the first thing I would try ( This will be to
    > see if there is a registry entry missing that prevents desired action).
    > Go to Start
    > Run
    > Type in --
    > compmgmt.msc
    > Hit enter.
    > If that does the trick you have a starting point.
    > If it doesn't help search for:
    > compmgmt.msc
    > If C is your system drive it should be in:
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    > If not there use msconfig and expand it to the appropriate location:
    > Systemdrive\windows\system32
    > Check for operation.
    > If the .msc file is in proper location and it works only when typed in
    > then maybe someone with much more knowledge of the registry than I have
    > can help you.
    > If still no luck I can only hope that someone else can solve your problem.
    >
    > Oldguy

    John,

    Just did a registry search and came up with the following:
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Manage\command]
    @="%windir%\\system32\\mmc.exe /s %windir%\\system32\\compmgmt.msc"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU]
    "c"="compmgmt.msc\\1"

    You can check and see if the above appears in your registry.
    If not, backup your registry then:
    Do a cut and paste of the material between the ------------- lines into
    notepad and save it as manage.reg
    Then do a right click on that file and select merge and then hit enter.
    Hope for the best and see if "Manage' now works.
    Again. If still no luck I can only hope that someone else can solve your
    problem.

    Oldguy

Desktops Computers Windows XP