Finally building a PC! Tell me what y'all think

cspaintball9256

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Alright so after weeks and weeks of researching I've decided on all the components I want for my PC. Let me know if any of yall see any poor choices, know of any better value products, any tips, etc. Thanks!

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW
Floppy drive: NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
Disc Drive: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X
Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Sound Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card (already own and want to keep this)
Mouse and keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 w/ optical mouse
Monitor: SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Operating System: Windows XP home w/ sp2

I'm mainly going to be using this computer for recording, audio editing, mixing, mastering etc. and also for some gaming. I'm not too interested in overclocking at this point. Thanks in advance to any of you who take the time to scan over this and give feedback.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Alright so after weeks and weeks of researching I've decided on all the components I want for my PC. Let me know if any of yall see any poor choices, know of any better value products, any tips, etc. Thanks!

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW
Floppy drive: NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
Disc Drive: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X
Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Sound Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card (already own and want to keep this)
Mouse and keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 w/ optical mouse
Monitor: SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Operating System: Windows XP home w/ sp2

I'm mainly going to be using this computer for recording, audio editing, mixing, mastering etc. and also for some gaming. I'm not too interested in overclocking at this point. Thanks in advance to any of you who take the time to scan over this and give feedback.

How much do you plan to spend, and what is your intention of use on this computer?

This is a good list, minor changes though:

Powersupply - kick it for this. If you decide to upgrade, it may not boast the Amps nor the wattage for a futureproof video card, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817128002

Its modular, so you can disconnect the extra cables you don't need from it.

Motherboard - If you have a intention of overclocking, I would suggest this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012

Great motherboard, great price.

Processor - If you wait until April 22nd, their will be a significant price drops in a lot of hardware. Processors being one of them. You could snag a E6420 for 183 bucks. Its stock at 2Ghz, with a 4MB cache! Also will be a good overclocker like the rest of the C2D's present.

Video card: If you can pony up the extra cash for a 8800GTS, it'll be a fantastic jump. But if you can only afford the 7600GT, then thats fine. Could always upgrade to a mid-range DX10 card later.

Overall, everything else looks fine.

Have fun :)

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
PSU: Not big enough. Try the TT 750W.
Case: Looks good. Maybe the Antec 900?
Floopy Drive: Can't go wrong with a floppy drive. Not much perfrormance gain from one to another.
Hard Drive: I am partial to Seagate Barracudas.
Disc Drive: I have the same one in my brother's rig.
Motherboard: The ASUS P5B or the Gigabyte DS3 are better choices.
CPU: Wait for April 22 and get an E6600 for the same price as the current E6400.
Memory: Good stuff.
Video Card: I would definately get at least an 8800GTS.
Sound Card: Better than on-board.
Mouse: How about a Logitech MX7?
Monitor: Scepter has 20.1" LCDs for $189.99.
OS: XP Pro x64 is your best choice now. I will seed it for you if you want...

cspaintball9256

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
alright so i've ordered everything and made some changes, got the gigabyte ds3 and waited and got the e6600. but i have one question that hopefully shouldn't be a problem..

I plan on using a spare IDE harddrive that I am currently using in this old pc in addition to the SATA one i bought because i figured that'd be an easy way to transfer all the files i wanted to keep to the new computer. well i also bought a IDE dvd/cd drive and there is only one IDE connector on my motherboard. Now how exactly should I wire this up? I assume it's ok for the harddrive and dvd drive to be connected on the same IDE cable, but does it matter which one is connected to the furthest end and which one is in the middle connector? do i need to mess with any jumper settings to change from master to slave, etc...?

The location of the IDE connector on the motherboard is at the very bottom so the easiest way is for me to connect the dvd drive to the furthest end, then in the middle, connect the harddrive..then to the motherboard. Let me know if this will work out. I appreciate it.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
That'll be fine, your optical drive will be the master and hard drive the slave. Set the jumpers to correspond to that, or just set them both to CSEL and let the board figure it out.

cspaintball9256

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
ok so I built it last night and booted it up and everything went great until i installed vista...

now the installation went fine but when i got to the screen where it asked me what hard drive to install vista to, I decided i would create a new partition...so I clicked the drive options (advanced) button and clicked new....it went back to the selection screen and now there was the partition also listed so I chose that.

After it installed and I got on here, I found out that in Computer, I am able to see my two hard drives...but my 250gb one that I created a partition for is now only 25gb...because that was the size i made for a partition for vista...

so where is the rest of my hard drive is my question...I obviously misunderstood the whole partition creating stuff so if anyone could straighten out this most likely silly misake, I would appreciate it.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
No, go back in to the drive options and should have something to add a partition or format a partition. I am not sure about Vista, or XP for that matter. I always use Partition Magic.

cspaintball9256

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
oh ok i understand, so lets say I just want the rest of the 250gb hdd to be its own volume, I just create another partion for 225gb on that hdd...right? But how exactly would I do that without having to return to the beginning of the installation? or at least, how would it be done in xp so I could mess around and try to figure it out in vista?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
WTF is the difference now? He bought the parts, built the rig and it is working great. We all make choices and sometimes they are not what the majority would do. I guess we are not clones 8O

cspaint -> Great, glad I could help :D