Sign in with
Your question

Linux as a router...

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 1, 2006 2:00:23 AM

I currently having router problems, but am very low on cash. I have seen what Linux can do, including it becoming a router / smart switch. Now I am a person who see's a problem and finds a solution, which is why I'm here. I've seen, in the past, your all and mighty resourcefulness.

I know of the Freesco distribution, but I need something more GUI and Windows-like based. The distro must be able to be stable while handling heavy traffic (500 to 1000 mbit / sec, both up and down from 5 to 20 computers). If possible, a distro with a remote control GUI interface, but a text interface will do fine that I can run on Windows 2000 Professional (any service pack) to XP Professional (any service pack) and Windows NT 4.0 (lastest service packs) to 2003 server (lastest service packs). Lastly, an auto updater would be nice. Easy install would also. Must fit on one to two standard 700 MB CD-R and install on a HDD 2000 MB in size at least.

If you can find everything here in one distro, I will bow and kiss you feet or where they stood.

More about : linux router

a b 5 Linux
April 1, 2006 2:48:51 AM

Quote:
I currently having router problems, but am very low on cash. I have seen what Linux can do, including it becoming a router / smart switch. Now I am a person who see's a problem and finds a solution, which is why I'm here. I've seen, in the past, your all and mighty resourcefulness.

I know of the Freesco distribution, but I need something more GUI and Windows-like based. The distro must be able to be stable while handling heavy traffic (500 to 1000 mbit / sec, both up and down from 5 to 20 computers). If possible, a distro with a remote control GUI interface, but a text interface will do fine that I can run on Windows 2000 Professional (any service pack) to XP Professional (any service pack) and Windows NT 4.0 (lastest service packs) to 2003 server (lastest service packs). Lastly, an auto updater would be nice. Easy install would also. Must fit on one to two standard 700 MB CD-R and install on a HDD 2000 MB in size at least.

If you can find everything here in one distro, I will bow and kiss you feet or where they stood.

Sounds like you're looking for smoothwall...

http://smoothwall.org/about/screenshots/
April 21, 2006 1:14:45 PM

Smoothwall is ok, but I find IPCop to be the best distro for firewalls, I use it for corporate use, and yes it's free! :D 

http://www.ipcop.org/
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
April 21, 2006 1:36:15 PM

Quote:
Smoothwall is ok, but I find IPCop to be the best distro for firewalls, I use it for corporate use, and yes it's free! :D 

http://www.ipcop.org/

Aye, ipcop should be great too :-D

There's also freesco, m0n0wall and others but Smoothwall and ipcop are among the most popular ones.
October 22, 2006 12:06:39 AM

what about the old mandrake single network firewall?
or astaro?
October 25, 2006 9:32:23 PM

Just out of curiousity, will openBSD work for something like that? From what I heard it is VERY secure and ostensibly one would want a very secure system if it is going to act as their router, yes?

-Zorak
a b 5 Linux
October 27, 2006 7:12:11 PM

But of course any BSD will work, but it is going to take some more configuration...or you could just use a preconfigured one like pfSense. There's literally tons of free (as in beer and speech) ready-to-serve(pun intended) distros based on Linux and BSD kernels, it's just a matter of picking one to fit your needs and hardware.
!