Standby / HID Keyboard preventing from... Problem

gusbf

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
I have had some problems regarding "Standby Fans on" and "HID Keyboard device is preventing the machine from entering standby".

1) First I had the "HID keyboard" problem but this was solve by reinstalling WinXP (ONLY WinXP, NOT a single program).

2) Then the "Fans on" problem began and I began searching the net for a solution. Have tried the "Power Sheme Option" without a result. Have found out that S3 state CANNOT be used if you have enable an USB device and configured it with "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

3) My problem is just that I NEED to have S3 and an USB-device working together because of the following two reasons:

a) My setup is a HTPC which has not a powerbutton in front, only my keyboard and mouse may resume from it.

b) My HTPC uses a Pentium M processor together with a CT479 Adapter. Its a 100x16 = 1600Mhz processor but IF I set the HTPC in standby without checking the "Allow this device to bring..." on the USB keyboard then the HTPC will only resume from standby (by pressen the powerbutton) with a much lower multiplier (100x6 =600Mhz).
The strange thing is just that this problem doesn't happen when I check the "Allow
this device".

Have found out that when I install WinXP, as state earlier the ONLY problem is the
fans. Bios is set to:

Suspend mode: [Auto]
Repost video on S3 resume: [No]
ACPI 2.0 Support: [No]
ACPI APIC Support: [Yes]

If I then change my bios to this:

Suspend mode: [S3]
Repost video on S3 resume: [No]
ACPI 2.0 Support: [Yes]
ACPI APIC Support: [Yes]

Then the problem with "HID Keyboard device is preventing the machine from entering standby" begins and it will NOT be fixable by just change it back. You simple need to reinstall WinXP from the begining.

As you can read from above it is a very crytic situation and I have now spend about 40-50 hours over the last 1½ month searching for a solution without any result.

Looking forward to receive some responds...

nilness

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Your post is a bit confusing but as I understand it the main problem is if you have the htpc set up to be able to resume from the keyboard you are stuck with a low multiplier setting. Have you considered multiplier control software in that case, something like RMClock?

gusbf

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Thanks for you reply. I think the reason for the confusion is that I try to tell all about my situation.

I have tried the RMClock utility but it will not work with my motherbaord/CPU. The "CPU Performance/Power States" is empty and a value can therefor not be selected.

I would say that my main problem is to get the HID Keyboard to work with standby. If I can fix that problem the "multiplier"-problem will be solve automatically.