Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Controller
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
March 31, 2007 12:33:10 AM

I bought a IDE HDD last year and I'm upgrading all my system the next week. I found out that the IDE on P965 motherboards is supported by the JMicron controller chip that has various problems. It also needs a driver to be installed. And here comes the question: will I be able to boot from that HDD? I hope I won't need to buy another one...
On the other hand, is there any other alternative, like a motherboard with nForce 650i chipset ? Or it's a JMicron controller chip on those too?

More about : pata hard drive p965 motherboard

March 31, 2007 1:27:54 AM

I think you would need to go with a 975 motherboard. Your probably better off just getting a cheap SATA drive and using the PATA as storage
March 31, 2007 2:08:58 AM

Another option, and I don't know how well it works, is to get a SATA to PATA adapter. They are pretty cheap. Also I have heard that you need a SATA optical drive to install XP. These things may have been resolved I'm not up on the latest information.
Related resources
March 31, 2007 2:50:01 AM

Or get a cheap ata controller off of ebay! Kind of a crapshoot, but I found a great ata100 board for just under $20.00 with raid to boot!

-The String
March 31, 2007 8:26:00 AM

Buying an adapter may get me into potential problems, and I am not sure about thhe 975 chipset, regarding the IDE support. Right now I seriosly think on buying a motherboard withnForce chipset. But before I do annything stupid I should know clearly: did anyone had any problems regarding IDE connectivity with nForce 650i chipset? (say... Asus P5N-E-SLI or MSI P6N SLI Platinum)
March 31, 2007 9:07:51 AM

Not all 965-based boards use the JMicron controller - the GA-965-DQ6 certainly doesn't.
March 31, 2007 3:23:57 PM

I like that board, When I upgrade that's the board that I am going to get. I don't know whether it can boot from the PATA though.

@billystringer I pretty sure that there would be problems booting to a PCI card.

@Chiri The SATA adapter is cheap and will probably work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For $40.00 to $50.00 you can buy an 80GB hard drive and boot to it. This thread has become an exercise in futility. Here is a link, I'm done.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
March 31, 2007 3:35:18 PM

Quote:
I like that board, When I upgrade that's the board that I am going to get. I don't know whether it can boot from the PATA though.

@billystringer I pretty sure that there would be problems booting to a PCI card.

@Chiri The SATA adapter is cheap and will probably work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For $40.00 to $50.00 you can buy an 80GB hard drive and boot to it. This thread has become an exercise in futility. Here is a link, I'm done.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Well I can guarantee you that there are no problems booting off of this card because I do it all the time. It even has a jumper to disable the card's bios if you just want to use it for more drives. Based on my experience, and this guy's requirements, I think it would be a great solution!

-The String
March 31, 2007 4:24:05 PM

So the MB BIOS sees the drive on the PCI card and allows you to choose it as the boot drive?

Edit:I priced the PCI cards on Newegg. they are $18-$19. An 80GB drive $43, the difference is 43-19= $24. So it costs $24 dollars to not have to dork around with a PCI setup. Hmmm, that's a hard choice. But who knows it might be fun to spend hours dorking with your new computer trying to get it to boot for the first time. So I say save the $24, it will be a good learning experience. :twisted:
March 31, 2007 8:38:10 PM

Yes, exactly!

Bios's vary of course, but some of them do have a setting for "boot other devices", which would be what you use in this case. But if that setting isn't available, then you just disable all bootable drives (you can leave A and D on tho), and then the pci card's bios will pick it up. Really quite cool and lets Raid-0 on an old celeron box! 8O 8)

-The String
March 31, 2007 8:45:11 PM

Interesting. Still not worth taking the chance for the small difference in additional cash.
March 31, 2007 9:09:27 PM

hello,

i have a msi p965 neo-f and the jmicron works fine. just do NOT install any drivers by using f6 when installing xp. that way i had a lot of trouble installing. just install with no drivers and it works perfekt. once you are in xp you can install intel drivers and jmicron.

my pata cdrom and harddisk work native with the controller so no worries, get yourself a nice p965 board.
March 31, 2007 10:53:23 PM

All in all, I'm surprised any manufactures are having trouble implementing such a mature technology. I mean it's like a businessman having trouble tying his shoes for crying out loud! :roll:

-The String
March 31, 2007 11:27:42 PM

It boots without problem: don't install any drivers with F6.
March 31, 2007 11:32:08 PM

Or it is like the industry changed standards, and chose SATA as teh future leaving behind ATA legacy drives... and the OP wanted to use his existing ATA hard drive, with out buying another one...
imo, I would go ahead and get a SATA boot drive, and use teh ATA one for storage/data...
Problem solved...
March 31, 2007 11:48:48 PM

just read! there is no problem.........
April 1, 2007 1:27:58 AM

Agreed, $40-$50 for an 80GB drive is a no brainer
April 1, 2007 7:27:38 AM

Thanks meljor, it's exactly the answer I was seeking. Even the motherboard was on my wishlist. I'll stop on GA-965P-DS3 though.

I do intend to buy another HDD rather than an adapter, as soon as I have the money. The problem was how will I boot up in the mean time, and thanks everyone for your solutions.

PS: I do hate Intel for forgeting about PATA, but I don't hate them enough to give up on Core 2 Duo.
April 1, 2007 12:07:09 PM

Quote:
All in all, I'm surprised any manufactures are having trouble implementing such a mature technology. I mean it's like a businessman having trouble tying his shoes for crying out loud! :roll:

-The String

I agree whole heartedly. There is no excuse to abandon PATA so soon, and make it the red headed stepchild of the computing industry.
April 1, 2007 1:03:01 PM

Quote:
I bought a IDE HDD last year and I'm upgrading all my system the next week. I found out that the IDE on P965 motherboards is supported by the JMicron controller chip that has various problems. It also needs a driver to be installed. And here comes the question: will I be able to boot from that HDD? I hope I won't need to buy another one...
On the other hand, is there any other alternative, like a motherboard with nForce 650i chipset ? Or it's a JMicron controller chip on those too?

Most of the p965 that use JMicron are selling with a new chip revision. If you get the latest from asus or gigabyte you'll have no problem.
April 2, 2007 2:33:49 PM

It's about time.
April 5, 2007 10:14:04 PM

Quote:

Most of the p965 that use JMicron are selling with a new chip revision. If you get the latest from asus or gigabyte you'll have no problem.

Second that. The J-Micron problems with my board were fixed months ago with a BIOS Rev.
!