COMPAQ Windows Installation problems - ARRRRGH!!

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I'm trying to help someone reinstall their Compaq Presario S3150UK PC which has just developed a severe problem. She told me that she had her power cut on and off several times in succession due to building work in a neighbouring flat - I suspect this has contributed to the problem.

The computer would load with the screen saying the computer has not been properly shut down and that I can do the following:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

NONE of the above options work as they all loop back to the same menu as the PC simply restarts. I don't even get the Windows XP logo being displayed!! I decided that I would try and reinstall Windows XP onto this hard disk only there is a further problem. The setup initializes and shows the blue screen which prepares all the files prior to selecting a partition and beginning the installation. However the entire computer just stops on "Setup is Starting Windows" prompt - the hard disk doesn't show any activity (whereas it did when the previous files were being prepared) and the CD drive stops blinking and the CD just stops altogether.

It seemed the hard disk failed completely as it kept turning on and off.
So I replaced the hard disk with a new one and tried to install it on there - same problem!!

What is the problem?? - the computer was working perfectly fine and now it just suddenly stops. To add salt to the wound attempts to reinstall XP even on a new Hard Disk are impossible.

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Not at hand no - I did however try other power plugs in the computer but this didn't make a difference??

Could the power supply be at fault? - the computer turns on fine and the other devices work OK!

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
A dying power supply could cause those symptoms.

If thats the case why issit that the rest of the computer works fine, including the Optical Drives and the motherboard?? :-S Very strange way of dying I thought the whole computer just wouldn't turn on?

Any other thoughts on this

A dying power supply can still provide power to a computer... but whether that power is stable enough is another matter entirely. Usually, if you're getting random rebooting or blue screens, the first thing you should check is the power supply. Even if the computer powers up... there could still be a problem.