Brooder

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
My computer has recently started randomly locking up with some regularity. It has been pretty stable since I built it last year. The lock ups have been fairly common since transferring from cable modem to dsl service. I also installed a few pc games on it too. Any suggestions?

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Startup in safe mode with networking, go to administrator and go online to this site and scan your machine. Let me know if your machine locks up while in safe mode too please!

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Brooder

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Last night I ran a full AdAware scan, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Norton Antivirus 2006 scans with no hits. I also have a hijack this scan report that I could post if you think it would help. Is it necessary to do the on-line virus scan if I just did a full Norton scan?

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
The nasty of infections is, if its infected, your onboard anti-virus has been compromised and will give you false results. When a customer brings in a machine with Norton and has symtoms of a virus I go to the Exclusions file, and if there is Anything there, the machine has an infection. But, when the customer brought the machine in they said, "It can't be infected, because I ran a scan on it."
Your machine might not be infected! It could be; Heat, dirty power, or software that needs a patch