While listening to an online presentation that included charts, I attempted
to print-to-file a specific chart. I deleted the "*" that preceded the
".prn" extension and gave it a name. Then I tried to print the file to make
sure all went well. It didn't.

I got a message stating WINDOWS XP didn't recognize the program that the
file was related to. It directed me to an on-line site to find the program
but the site wasn't available for service until the 9th.

Q1) What program should be assigned to a "*.prn" file?
Q2) Why couldn't WINDOWS XP find something (WORD?) to print this file?

Printing to a file looks like a waste of time and space to me.

Word doc somename.doc 36.0 KB. Select print to file.

somename.prn file is created, file is 940 KB.

Just send the original file, it's a lot smaller.

File Extension Details for .PRN
http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=prn

FILExt - The File Extension Source
http://www.filext.com/

How to Print From a PRN File
http://filext.com/info/showthread.php?t=13

Print a document to a file
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051894411033.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:O1VakArOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
John Gregory <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

John Gregory <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> typed:

> While listening to an online presentation that included charts,
> attempted to print-to-file a specific chart. I deleted the "*"
> that
> preceded the ".prn" extension and gave it a name.

How did you do the print to file, and from what program?

> Then I tried to
> print the file to make sure all went well. It didn't.

How did you try to do this? If, for example, you tried
double-clicking the file, or opening it in some program, that's
not how to do it, and won't work. See below.

> I got a message stating WINDOWS XP didn't recognize the program
> that
> the file was related to. It directed me to an on-line site to
> find
> the program but the site wasn't available for service until the
> 9th.
>
> Q1) What program should be assigned to a "*.prn" file?

None. That's not what a prn file is or how it's used.

> Q2) Why couldn't WINDOWS XP find something (WORD?) to print
> this file?

A prn file is an image of the page, formatted for a particular
printer. The format varies enormously, depending on the
particular printer, and is essentially a graphic image. Word has
no idea what to do with such a file. The way to print a prn file
is to go to Start | Run and issue the command

copy \path\filename.prn lpt1 /b

However that only works if you have a printer that's connected to
a parallel port and if the creation of the prn file was done to
the correct printer driver for your printer. It's more
complicated if you have a USB printer.

I'm not clear as to why you printed to a file in the first place,
or how you did it. If the above command doesn't work for you,
please clarify the situation for more help.

Please reply to the newsgroup

I simply followed the instructions on the print window that popped up (a
WINDOWS XP window I believe) when I chose to "print" one of the slides
that appeared here:

www.mopnsanto.com
Select "Investor Information"
Select 2nd Quarter conference call.

The presentation defaulted to MS Media Player and I selected chart 13 to
print. I chose "Print to file" because I know my printer on another floor
was low on ink and I didn't really need the color. I changed the settings to
print black and white only, gave the file a name with a ".prn" extension,
and saved it to disc.

I just finished reading the rest of you reply. I obviously chose the wrong
thing and should have simply printed it out after changing the preference to
black and white only. I've got a better understanding of a .prn file now.
Fortunately, the original presentation will remain on the website for a bit
and I can get a copy later.

Thanks for the explanation. This happened once before but I failed to take
the time to ask questions.