.prn file

While listening to an online presentation that included charts, I attempted
to print-to-file a specific chart. I deleted the "*" that preceded the
".prn" extension and gave it a name. Then I tried to print the file to make
sure all went well. It didn't.

I got a message stating WINDOWS XP didn't recognize the program that the
file was related to. It directed me to an on-line site to find the program
but the site wasn't available for service until the 9th.

Q1) What program should be assigned to a "*.prn" file?
Q2) Why couldn't WINDOWS XP find something (WORD?) to print this file?
3 answers Last reply
More about file

    Printing to a file looks like a waste of time and space to me.

    Word doc somename.doc 36.0 KB. Select print to file.

    somename.prn file is created, file is 940 KB.

    Just send the original file, it's a lot smaller.

    File Extension Details for .PRN
    http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=prn

    FILExt - The File Extension Source
    http://www.filext.com/

    How to Print From a PRN File
    http://filext.com/info/showthread.php?t=13

    Print a document to a file
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051894411033.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O1VakArOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    John Gregory <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    John Gregory <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> typed:

    > While listening to an online presentation that included charts,
    > attempted to print-to-file a specific chart. I deleted the "*"
    > that
    > preceded the ".prn" extension and gave it a name.

    How did you do the print to file, and from what program?

    > Then I tried to
    > print the file to make sure all went well. It didn't.

    How did you try to do this? If, for example, you tried
    double-clicking the file, or opening it in some program, that's
    not how to do it, and won't work. See below.

    > I got a message stating WINDOWS XP didn't recognize the program
    > that
    > the file was related to. It directed me to an on-line site to
    > find
    > the program but the site wasn't available for service until the
    > 9th.
    >
    > Q1) What program should be assigned to a "*.prn" file?

    None. That's not what a prn file is or how it's used.

    > Q2) Why couldn't WINDOWS XP find something (WORD?) to print
    > this file?

    A prn file is an image of the page, formatted for a particular
    printer. The format varies enormously, depending on the
    particular printer, and is essentially a graphic image. Word has
    no idea what to do with such a file. The way to print a prn file
    is to go to Start | Run and issue the command

    copy \path\filename.prn lpt1 /b

    However that only works if you have a printer that's connected to
    a parallel port and if the creation of the prn file was done to
    the correct printer driver for your printer. It's more
    complicated if you have a USB printer.

    I'm not clear as to why you printed to a file in the first place,
    or how you did it. If the above command doesn't work for you,
    please clarify the situation for more help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I simply followed the instructions on the print window that popped up (a
    WINDOWS XP window I believe) when I chose to "print" one of the slides
    that appeared here:

    www.mopnsanto.com
    Select "Investor Information"
    Select 2nd Quarter conference call.

    The presentation defaulted to MS Media Player and I selected chart 13 to
    print. I chose "Print to file" because I know my printer on another floor
    was low on ink and I didn't really need the color. I changed the settings to
    print black and white only, gave the file a name with a ".prn" extension,
    and saved it to disc.

    I just finished reading the rest of you reply. I obviously chose the wrong
    thing and should have simply printed it out after changing the preference to
    black and white only. I've got a better understanding of a .prn file now.
    Fortunately, the original presentation will remain on the website for a bit
    and I can get a copy later.

    Thanks for the explanation. This happened once before but I failed to take
    the time to ask questions.

    > In news:O1VakArOFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > John Gregory <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> typed:
    >
    >> While listening to an online presentation that included charts, I
    >> attempted to print-to-file a specific chart. I deleted the "*" that
    >> preceded the ".prn" extension and gave it a name.
    >

    > How did you do the print to file, and from what program?
    >

    >> Then I tried to
    >> print the file to make sure all went well. It didn't.
    >

    > How did you try to do this? If, for example, you tried double-clicking the
    > file, or opening it in some program, that's not how to do it, and won't
    > work. See below.
    >

    >> I got a message stating WINDOWS XP didn't recognize the program that
    >> the file was related to. It directed me to an on-line site to find
    >> the program but the site wasn't available for service until the 9th.
    >>
    >> Q1) What program should be assigned to a "*.prn" file?
    >

    > None. That's not what a prn file is or how it's used.
    >

    >> Q2) Why couldn't WINDOWS XP find something (WORD?) to print this file?
    >

    > A prn file is an image of the page, formatted for a particular printer.
    > The format varies enormously, depending on the particular printer, and is
    > essentially a graphic image. Word has no idea what to do with such a file.
    > The way to print a prn file is to go to Start | Run and issue the command
    >
    > copy \path\filename.prn lpt1 /b
    >
    > However that only works if you have a printer that's connected to a
    > parallel port and if the creation of the prn file was done to the correct
    > printer driver for your printer. It's more complicated if you have a USB
    > printer.
    >
    > I'm not clear as to why you printed to a file in the first place, or how
    > you did it. If the above command doesn't work for you, please clarify the
    > situation for more help.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Windows XP