FC5 - with no internet

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I have fedora core 5, and it does everything I want, apart from playing videos.
Is it possible to make it play videos, without the internet , coz apparently yum and pup need internet.

I would have thought that the codecs necessary were available on the FC5 CD's.

I have mplayer and vlc RPM's on a CD, im pretty sure that VLC comes with all the necessary codecs or whatever I am missing.

Somebody said i should try this in a Command Line:

rpm -ivh 'filename'.rpm

Would that work?
Any help would be appreciated.

linux_0

Splendid
I have fedora core 5, and it does everything I want, apart from playing videos.
Is it possible to make it play videos, without the internet , coz apparently yum and pup need internet.

I would have thought that the codecs necessary were available on the FC5 CD's.

I have mplayer and vlc RPM's on a CD, im pretty sure that VLC comes with all the necessary codecs or whatever I am missing.

Somebody said i should try this in a Command Line:

rpm -ivh 'filename'.rpm

Would that work?
Any help would be appreciated.

You need:

http://www4.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.tar.bz2

+

http://www4.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/fonts/font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2

+

http://www4.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20050412.tar.bz2

+

a skin from here:

http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

+

this install guide:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mplayer-fedora.html

You can install rpm's like this:

rpm -Uvh whatever.rpm # upgrade - it will install if it's not installed

or this:

rpm -ivh whatever.rpm # install

You can login as root and install things using the package installer unfortunately that defaults to downloading the install files from the online repositories.

What kind of internet connection do you have, if any?

You could download all the necessary files burn them to CD and then install from CD.

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I have internet on this computer (2MBps), but my new computer has no internet, until I get a wireless router.

It is my new computer I am using FC5 on, unfortunately.

I will try putting all those files on a CD, thank you for your reply.

linux_0

Splendid
I have internet on this computer (2MBps), but my new computer has no internet, until I get a wireless router.

It is my new computer I am using FC5 on, unfortunately.

I will try putting all those files on a CD, thank you for your reply.

Don't you have a CAT5 patch cord?

I can send you one @ cost just tell me how many feet you need.

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Nope, dont have a CAT5 patch cord, but dont worry, I will have my router on 18th, so its not that big a problem.

Thank you for the offer.

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Yes , but it is all abit too much for me to learn.

Anyway I have started using blag linux, based on FC3 i think, it plays movies so it is ok, problem is solved.

Thank you for all your help.

linux_0

Splendid

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
BTW , I have got xine and vlc working on FC5, by bringing PC downstairs to borrow the modem and doing a install using internet.
Works great.

But xine runs abit slowly sometimes , it gives a message that says 'dropped frames too high, machine too highly loaded, slow machine or program not configured correctly'.

My machine has 512MB RAM and an A64 3200+ , so it is not too slow, I am going to upgrade to 1GB , but still 512MB should be enough, so I'm pretty sure it a setting that is at fault.

I'm scared to experiment with graphics settings beacause I changed the graphics driver from vesa to nv the other day (not in xine, in the FC5 settings) and I had to reinstall FC5 ( the screen was all messed up, didnt know how to roll back graphics drivers)

Any ideas what xine settings i should experiment with?

BTW - I am doing this message on FC5, much easier than I expected , to use the internet on FC5

linux_0

Splendid
BTW , I have got xine and vlc working on FC5, by bringing PC downstairs to borrow the modem and doing a install using internet.
Works great.

But xine runs abit slowly sometimes , it gives a message that says 'dropped frames too high, machine too highly loaded, slow machine or program not configured correctly'.

My machine has 512MB RAM and an A64 3200+ , so it is not too slow, I am going to upgrade to 1GB , but still 512MB should be enough, so I'm pretty sure it a setting that is at fault.

I'm scared to experiment with graphics settings beacause I changed the graphics driver from vesa to nv the other day (not in xine, in the FC5 settings) and I had to reinstall FC5 ( the screen was all messed up, didnt know how to roll back graphics drivers)

Any ideas what xine settings i should experiment with?

BTW - I am doing this message on FC5, much easier than I expected , to use the internet on FC5

:-D

I can log in and fix it for ya as long as you have a decent internet connection.

Or if you prefer I can talk you through it.

You didn't have to reinstall. FC5 was not really broken just slightly stuck.

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I would prefer you give me a few command line instructions on how to fix graphic driver settings, that way I can learn it better for the future ( I have started learning some command line instructions form linuxcommand.org).

When I messed up my graphics driver, I inserted CD1 of the FC5 install discs, and used the boot option 'linux rescue'.
It led me to a CLI but I had no idea what to do.

As for xine, I have researched on the xine website (along with the error mesage, it gave me a link to their FAQ), and I have a few things to try:
1 - Using xv driver
2 - hdparm /dev/hda
3 - typing xine-check in a CLI
4 - And a few settings to play with.

linux_0

Splendid
I would prefer you give me a few command line instructions on how to fix graphic driver settings, that way I can learn it better for the future ( I have started learning some command line instructions form linuxcommand.org).

When I messed up my graphics driver, I inserted CD1 of the FC5 install discs, and used the boot option 'linux rescue'.
It led me to a CLI but I had no idea what to do.

As for xine, I have researched on the xine website (along with the error mesage, it gave me a link to their FAQ), and I have a few things to try:
1 - Using xv driver
2 - hdparm /dev/hda
3 - typing xine-check in a CLI
4 - And a few settings to play with.

Which version of the nVidia driver did you try?

A new version was released yesterday!!!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8756.html
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8756/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_1.0-8756.html
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8756/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8756-pkg2.run

FC5 was released just a while ago and I was unable to install the nVidia drive last week but I suspect the new driver should work a lot better.

When I offered to log in and fix it for you I neglected to mention I always work in screen which allows you to "share" your terminal so in effect I would be fixing it for you AND showing you how to fix it at the same time and explaining the process.

I could also show you a few Unix tricks.

screen is a great tool :-D

If you want you can fire up gaim in FC5 so we can IM. PM me for my IM.

bigbadwolf

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
When I changed the driver I changed it to where it said 'nv' on the monitor and graphics card controls, not sure which version. I only have a 6600GT, so I assumed that nv drivers would work. They were originally vesa before I changed it.

Also it could be a while until I can connect my FC5 PC to the internet again because that means taking my computer downstairs and borrowing my family's modem. I'll have my wifi router on 18th, so theres no point getting any LAN set up. Once I have that I will have my FC5 on internet permanently.

When I next connect it to internet I will get the Nvidia drivers from nvidia website.

I typed in xine-check and apparently the X server doesnt seem to like the graphics card, so hopefully the new drivers should sort it.

JSThePatriot

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
I just wanted to post for everyones information.

The reason FC5 doesnt come standard with most video formats is because they are proprietary. FC5 only uses open source apps upon install.

@linux_0
I will be PMing you. I am working on setting up a Linux server at work. I have never set a server up using Linux. I have talked the powers that be into this, and now am trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Lata all for now,
JS

linux_0

Splendid
I just wanted to post for everyones information.

The reason FC5 doesnt come standard with most video formats is because they are proprietary. FC5 only uses open source apps upon install.

@linux_0
I will be PMing you. I am working on setting up a Linux server at work. I have never set a server up using Linux. I have talked the powers that be into this, and now am trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Lata all for now,
JS

Yes, this is true, FC5 does not include mp3 support, MPlayer, proprietary drivers, or anything else that might cause legal issues.

However all those tools / apps / drivers are easily installable.

The nVidia driver is super easy to install.