Computer won't restart or turn off.

rien

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hello,
The other day I had a bunch of stuff opened on my desktop and being lazy, I just went to the start menu and shut down, and clicked force shut down. I went to go brush my teeth and when I came back, my computer screen was black and I couldn't turn off my computer by holding down the power button, I couldn't restart with pressing the restart button either. So I resulted to the power switch of the power supply. Turned it off and turned it back on, my computer screen was still black and neither power button works nor reset button works. I've tried swapping rams, I've also tried taking out the battery and putting it back in, and I've also tried resetting my bios with the jumper.

This system is pretty old and I'm thinking that the mobo is probably dying out. My system is running on windows 7 64bit

It'd be great if anyone can help me with this. Thanks!

ithinkthisfitshere

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Did you try taking out the video card and seeing if it gave you the "i dont have a video card" beeps? did you clear all dust bunnies? checked that the fans turn on? rechecked all connections in the computer? im no expert, so these are my 2c

rien

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I did. I tried taking out the video card and the ram, but there were no beeps. All fans are running at normal speed and cleaned out the dust bunnies as well. It's like my computer is frozen at that point but even though if i pull the plug and then plug it back in, it resumes there.