Help getting ATI card to work in Fedora Core 4 Linux

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I have tried various install methods to try and get my ATI card to work in FC4, but to no avail. I have tried installing the drivers directly from the ATI website, and I have also tried installing them through yum using the livna repository. Both times, when i tried to verify that they had been installed properly the indications were that nothing has happened yet. I am not sure what to do after I finish installing the drivers, and all of the howto's that I have read don't have any additional instructions on what to do. By all accounts i should have fglrx and direct rendering working after the install/reboot, but nothing is going on. Here are some messages that I hope will be informative to anyone who is willing to help:

# fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2.1)

# glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No

I hope someone can help me through this step by step, because I have already tried several different how to's and google searches, but I am finding nothing useful and it is a bit frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Zorak

linux_0

Splendid
I have tried various install methods to try and get my ATI card to work in FC4, but to no avail. I have tried installing the drivers directly from the ATI website, and I have also tried installing them through yum using the livna repository. Both times, when i tried to verify that they had been installed properly the indications were that nothing has happened yet. I am not sure what to do after I finish installing the drivers, and all of the howto's that I have read don't have any additional instructions on what to do. By all accounts i should have fglrx and direct rendering working after the install/reboot, but nothing is going on. Here are some messages that I hope will be informative to anyone who is willing to help:

# fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2.1)

# glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No

I hope someone can help me through this step by step, because I have already tried several different how to's and google searches, but I am finding nothing useful and it is a bit frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Zorak

Did you use this:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-i386.run

or this:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx_6_8_0-8.23.7-1.i386.rpm

?

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I have tried both the .run file as well as an rpm install. I must say thought that I did not just download the rpm myself and have at it. Since I use Fedora, i used yum to find the appropriate driver (or so i thought). The command that I used was: yum install kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r). As I understand it, that is supposed to tell yum to find the correct driver for the kernel that I am using and install it, however, I was looking at my Xorg.0.log file and it was giving me warnings and errors saying that the kernel module did not match the driver. I appreciate any help you can give me.

-Zorak

linux_0

Splendid
I have tried both the .run file as well as an rpm install. I must say thought that I did not just download the rpm myself and have at it. Since I use Fedora, i used yum to find the appropriate driver (or so i thought). The command that I used was: yum install kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r). As I understand it, that is supposed to tell yum to find the correct driver for the kernel that I am using and install it, however, I was looking at my Xorg.0.log file and it was giving me warnings and errors saying that the kernel module did not match the driver. I appreciate any help you can give me.

-Zorak

While you should generally use yum, you should not use it for proprietary drivers.

You need to install the proprietary driver from ATI.

Either this one:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-i386.run

Or this one:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx_6_8_0-8.23.7-1.i386.rpm

Try the .run file first, if it doesn't work try the RPM.

To install the .run file:

[code:1:345e1b643b]
su -
chmod a+rx ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-i386.run
./ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-i386.run
[/code:1:345e1b643b]

To install the RPM:

[code:1:345e1b643b]
su -
rpm -Uvh fglrx_6_8_0-8.23.7-1.i386.rpm
[/code:1:345e1b643b]

I got the links from here:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1176

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
well, I tried installing the .run file you linked me to, but i am getting the following errors/warnings in my Xorg.0.log file:
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 03:00:0
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.23.7
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: LGDr8.23g1
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Mar 6 2006 17:25:03
(II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Information: autobuild-rel-r6-8.23.1-driver-lnx-250560
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found

some lines later...

(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENOMEM"
(EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe0a73000 at 0xb7c89000
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *

I could really use your help, and also, how do I contact you using the information in your signature (that is if you don't mind my Contacting you)?

-Zorak

linux_0

Splendid
Send me a private message by clicking the PM "icon" under my sig with your IM info and I'll IM you.

There should be "buddy" "PM" "ignore" "report" buttons under my sig provided by the forum software.