nickbits

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Is it possible for a motherboards' HD controller to contribute or cause a hard disk to fail? I've had 2 completely different drives die on me in the last 2 months and both coincidently were connected to the same computer. I'm pretty sure it would more likely be the power supply but I had swapped that out since the first one failed. I'm hoping this is just some back luck and my MB isn't causing trouble. I don't think it is a heat issue since both drives were running ~30C and have a fan blowing on them.

The last drive was in high use for the past week (PVR drive) and is the first time I've really had a lot of activity on it so maybe it was just a dud. The symptom that it developed was that when it would seek to a bad area of the disk and would start making a clicking noise about once sec and then hang until I restart the computer. I did do a full format when I first got it and SMART didn't reveal anything initially, but its fitness rating now is 0%.

For the record:
MB: Asus A7N8X-E (controller chip is Sil3112A)
HD1: WD 320GB (died after 1 year)
HD2: Samsung 400GB (died after 2 months)

Thanks!

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
I've had an external harddisk casing which ate up two of my harddisks before i grew suspicious of it, but i believe that in my case it was faulty voltage supply from the casing.
In your case, since everything else is working fine, that may not be the case. But check anyway.

pat

Expert
Is it possible for a motherboards' HD controller to contribute or cause a hard disk to fail? I've had 2 completely different drives die on me in the last 2 months and both coincidently were connected to the same computer. I'm pretty sure it would more likely be the power supply but I had swapped that out since the first one failed. I'm hoping this is just some back luck and my MB isn't causing trouble. I don't think it is a heat issue since both drives were running ~30C and have a fan blowing on them.

The last drive was in high use for the past week (PVR drive) and is the first time I've really had a lot of activity on it so maybe it was just a dud. The symptom that it developed was that when it would seek to a bad area of the disk and would start making a clicking noise about once sec and then hang until I restart the computer. I did do a full format when I first got it and SMART didn't reveal anything initially, but its fitness rating now is 0%.

For the record:
MB: Asus A7N8X-E (controller chip is Sil3112A)
HD1: WD 320GB (died after 1 year)
HD2: Samsung 400GB (died after 2 months)

Thanks!

I got one samsung 400 that died after 20 minutes, but 3 other are still running fine. Check if the area around the drive has enough room for air to cool it off.

TRENDING THREADS