problems connecting an LCD TV to a PC, and low profile cards

chocoboat

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I have an Olevia 232v 32" LCD TV. I have a slightly older PC, and I hook it up occasionally to watch videos or play games on the big screen.

I just got a new Dell C521, and the video card only has DVI out (the Olevia has VGA, not DVI). There's a DVI to VGA converter that came with the PC, and it works with regular monitors, but when I used the converter to connect to the TV I got an on-screen error... something like "input unreadable".

I have heard this is a problem that some TVs have... if you convert DVI to VGA (or sometimes DVI to HDMI), the certain TVs won't be able to recognize it. They only work if it's a normal VGA to VGA connection.

I don't suppose anyone knows some secret trick to getting an LCD TV to work with a DVI to VGA converter?

I thought the simplest plan would be to try to buy a different video card that has VGA out... but that doesn't seem to be working well. The Dell C521 is a slim model PC that needs a half size (low profile) video card. The selection seems to be very limited, and worse, most sites selling low profile cards are showing pictures of cards that are wayyy too long to fit into the C521.

For instance, this is one of the better deals on an inexpensive low profile card. But there's no way this card would fit in my PC... at the absolute most, it might be able to fit a card with a DVI connector and a VGA connector crammed directly next to each other, and even then I'm not sure.

Here is a pic of my current video card, it's much shorter than all the low profile cards I see online. Right now it looks like I'll have to sell this entire PC and buy a full sized one if I want to connect my TV to my new PC.

Any help would be appreciated...

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Your Dell may likely have a different resolution than your older PC. If you connect up your Olevia to the old PC and determine the resolution. Then, configure the display properties settings on your Dell to use that resolution for the monitor. It should work.