Help Me Please

Bubs

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
right i an sort of in the process of learning a+ course. well while i was reading the a+ book i decided to open my pc up and take a look while studing. well bad idea. i decided to look at the cpu. its an intel pentium4 3ghz 512/800. right like an idiot i dropped it and bent the pins on the cpu. so i looked on ebay and asked the seller of a intel pentium 2.4ghz 512/533 cpu the same question. he said no problem this will work fine. for £20 i took a chance. well i recieved today plugged it in all properly. but my monitor won't come on. only black screen. Now the Pc starts up all ok but black screen. so i turned it off and tried again and the pc sort of run then turned off sraight away. iv checked i did'nt knock the ram sticks and i did'nt touch anything else. does anybody have any idea what to do next?

What a Great Start to My Computer Technician career. LOL

If you put the damaged processor in your motherboard you might have damaged the motherboard. Hang in there and don't let this discourage you. I remember when I was in high school working toward my A+ and experimenting. You'll learn to be more careful (especially with your own stuff).

Try reseating your RAM and video card. (reseat means take it out and put it back in)

Bubs

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
i completely bent them. could not believe how badly just from a little drop. the only thing what i can't understand is i have reinserted the RAM and video card. when push the power button the computer fires up! but on my flat screen monitor it says no signal and turns to power save. so i powered off and tried again. no the computer started and within a second it turned itself off. so i cant work out whether its video card or the processor. Its def not the monitor cus i tried it on my bros Systems Unit and it work fine no probs.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
i completely bent them. could not believe how badly just from a little drop. the only thing what i can't understand is i have reinserted the RAM and video card. when push the power button the computer fires up! but on my flat screen monitor it says no signal and turns to power save. so i powered off and tried again. no the computer started and within a second it turned itself off. so i cant work out whether its video card or the processor. Its def not the monitor cus i tried it on my bros Systems Unit and it work fine no probs.

Ouch that sucks being bent that bad. Anyway your bro would let you check your video card on his computer? Do you get a post beep when your computer is coming up?

babalapia

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
what is the sound of your mainbord maked after pushed the power button?

you can find where is the trouble by the sound

Bubs

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
does not really make a sound just click it on and u can hear the fan start up then off it goes.

Bubs

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
nothing at all. i just cant understand it. i have tried my bros card in my pc and that didnt work. just the same problem. which to me who has no xp in this i would say after back tracking and troubleshooting it boils down to a processer prob or motherboard i fink any way.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Well, since the replacement processor was bought on ebay (assuming it's used), it could be bad. You may want to test it in another system, or try a known good processor in yours. Also, assuming the pins are bent and not broken on the original, you can try to bend them back. The end of a mechanical pencil can be slipped over a pin to carefully bend it back. I've done this with an Athlon XP before.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
We all have the chance of learning the things the hard way, it seems.

I'm guessing that perhaps your bios maybe stopping the system from booting up.

Though, I went from a 533FSB CPU to an 800FSB CPU. Thing is, I didn't have to change anything in the bios.

Have you tried resetting the bios (using jumper) just in case? Perhaps its stuck on a preset that isn't auto updating.

Also what MB are you using?

Bubs

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
i think its a 8088 motherboard. i dont know how to change the bios when the monitor aint on. im pretty much of a newb. but im learning. im learning never to try these thing on my comp, i should have used my bro's LOL. i tried my bro's processer thats pentium4 zeon. 3.2ghz and that did the exact same thing :(