Can You Overclock Gateway and HP's From Big Box Stores?

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Just wondering if you can overclock duo systems from HP and Gateway from the big box stores. I was hell bent on getting an x 2 5000 system today, but now that I have seen how well the e4300 systems overclock I am considering going Intel. Can those systems be overclocked?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
only if you can the code for the crystal on the mobo and you have a clock gen program - i used to do it years ago. use a program to fool the mobo in what the clock speed is. maybe someone can tell you a good program for your systems. since so many manufactures have overclocking in the bios now that method has been lost - dinosaur overclocking!

the best way is the pull out the mobo and use one just like it - most hp's used to use asus mobos with an additional header for the front ports.

you can find a similar mobo, with overclocking abilities, and swap it

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Just wondering if you can overclock duo systems from HP and Gateway from the big box stores. I was hell bent on getting an x 2 5000 system today, but now that I have seen how well the e4300 systems overclock I am considering going Intel. Can those systems be overclocked?

These systems come with 300W PSUs (for example my HP M7640N X2 5000) and barely adequate cooling. That's not helping when it comes to OCing :cry:

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

These systems come with 300W PSUs (for example my HP M7640N X2 5000) and barely adequate cooling. That's not helping when it comes to OCing :cry:

Exactly, not to mention the lack of open bays for an additional hard drive(s).

I'm amazed my slightly overclocked Opteron 165 and 7600gt run fine in my 2004 Compaq case with its aging 300w PSU, though it is rated at either 18a or 20a. I'm also using four dimms.

If you're looking into OC'ing, build your PC. It may cost a couple more dollars, but it will be vastly superior.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I wouldn't call it an illegal pin mod, but it will most definitely void your warranty. I've heard several success stories with it and E4300's, though.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Well, I have an Acer with an Nvidia chipset. Nvidia ntune workd for overclocking with my motherboard. I can increase the HTT, change the HT multiplier, and adjust memory timings. I currently have my HTT at 217. All other overclocking options, though are disabled. So you are stuck with the stock cpu voltage and 1.8v on ram (this is what's limiting me). Oh, and this only works for me with windows xp. With vista, the program crashes when I try to access the motherboard settings. GL

Good luck. The BIOS's on HP's and similar are atrocious to say the least. Unless you'll pin mod the CPU, the options for overclocking the big box computers are few and far between. You could use Clockgen, which is a software overclocking tool similar to the ones provided by some motherboard manufacturers, but the problem will be as to whether or not the boards PLL is supported. And with HP, and Dell, who use proprietary motherboards, the chances are weak, and that's being generous.

Like I said earlier, your only options are to attempt a pin mod. Here are two for you:
Core 2 Duo Voltage Mods (All models)
E4300 FSB Strap Pin Mod

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I believe the answer is a resounding NO!Those companies have a very limited bios that does not allow the user to overclock at all.However there are other ways to oc.Try Da SickNinjas suggestion of doing a pin mod.Probably your only option.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
As I said earlier:

If you are considering overclocking, then an OEM/retail/big box system is not for you

AND

If you are considering an OEM/retail/big box system, then overclocking is not for you

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
i heard dell sells high end systems that are already overclockeD?? i think some overclocks void warenttys and therefore u cant overclock mass produced systems.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Again, parroting everyone else here, but the answer is NO! They are built for Grandma who wants a machine to check her email, not ubergeeky Joe who wants to play 2142 at 100fps by overclocking a e6300 to X6800 specs. If you want to overclock, build it!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Agreeing with the majority. The bios doesn't allow much to be done. Although doing mods to a brand named machines can be done, though it can be more of a pain, and you could end up killing your machine.

When you spend money on a prebuilt brand, you get what you paid for. It's not designed to perform better then what it was ment for.

That is one nice thing about building your own. You can build a system that is capable of being more of a performer by taking advantage what other MB bios options provide.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Yes, Technically you can.
EDIT: But you can also Throw a Q6600 for 266$ into a Core 2 Duo Machine later on this year..Made ya think???

runswindows95

Distinguished
It's like this. If you're going to upgrade, want to overclock, or anything else, BUILD IT! For you have to be careful with the mobos. They are propitiatory! Sometimes, the BIOS won't let you upgrade the CPU. Also, keep in mind, they use cheap parts and have no cooling what so ever. Overall, BUILD IT!

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
It's like this. If you're going to upgrade, want to overclock, or anything else, BUILD IT! For you have to be careful with the mobos. They are propitiatory! Sometimes, the BIOS won't let you upgrade the CPU. Also, keep in mind, they use cheap parts and have no cooling what so ever. Overall, BUILD IT!

I can totally agree. My Gateway GT5408 came without a CPU heatsink and fan, or a case fan. And it runs at 12°C in this configuration. Way too hot if you ask me.

The other day when the midget with the abacus popped out of it, I was really surprised, too. Said something about the "evil corporate cows aren't paying me enough."

Happy April Fools.