Help upgrading to PCIE

RKBgamer

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card for Oblivion and Medieval II and I wanted to know how hard it would be to upgrade my motherboard to PCIE and should I change my CPU too?

My system is a HP a807w

AMD Athlon(64) XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz Socket 754

Motherboard Asus K8S-LA Chipset SiS 760/964

Memory 1 512mb DDR SDRAM

GPU ATI Radeon 9550

Also, should I go ahead and get a Directx10 card? Any help would be appreciated.

weilin

Distinguished
you say you have a HP pc? ohh... upgrading that isn't gonna be very easy. The new board may not fit in the HP case and if it does, there's no telling if pinouts will match HPs....
Oh, and btw Athlon XP was Socket 462... Sempron/Athlon 64 is for 754... not sure what processor you actually have.

My suggestion, Start over. Pick a case, psu, board and video card. You also may want to/have to get a new cd drive (old drive might be welded in or proprietary), ram (new boards nowadays run in dual channel), & cpu (new board will probably be lga 775 or AM2 and your old cpu wont fit). Now the HD is probably re-usable but if it is the old IDE interface, you may not be able to put into your pc as the newer boards only have 1 IDE channel for CD drives. Essentially you're starting a new build from scratch. If ya still interested, ill see if i can assist ya.

RKBgamer

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Sorry for the long time between posts. But as for the cpu, my dxdiag says athlon64 3200+. Got the athlon64(xp) or whatever off some website. About upgrading though I have a sister who might buy my computer but I would need to know the best way to make a decent gaming pc.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
well one option would be just to get another card like the x1950 pro.

the other option would be a complete remake of your pc.

RKBgamer

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
well i'd probably rather start over preferably with a 8800gts 320. is there any special psu or board to make sure it fits?