Arctic Freezer Pro 7--Need Help

ssgmun5000

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Hey guys, first post here. Needing some help if anyone can assist. Recently bought an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 and after install seems like the cooler struggles to start up. Like there is a hesistation. When it does start up it spins really slow. Went to the BIOS and the RPM were around 500--600. I was thinking that the power supply is the cause. I have a 500 watt supply, the components I have connected are 1 hd, 1 dvdrrom and a low end graphics card. Do you guys think its the power supply or just a bad heatsink?

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
This behaviour is most likely not related to any defect in your heatsink or fan. More likely is that the motherboard has a 'Quiet Fan' function, and is monitoring the temperature of the CPU and determining the most appropriate fan speed.

In order to check this, you will need an application that monitors the fan speed and CPU temp in windows (SpeedFan for example), and then monitor both as you increase load on the CPU. If all is ok, then you should notice the fan speed increasing as the CPU temp increases.

I would first check the CPU temp in BIOS for a few minutes to make sure it is not excessive before testing in Windows (just in case there is a defect). Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to increase load on the CPU whilst in BIOS.

If you can find the BIOS option to disable the 'Quiet Fan' function, then you could also try that to check that the fan on the heatsink does operate at higher rpms.

Hope this helps.

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
If you can find the BIOS option to disable the 'Quiet Fan' function, then you could also try that to check that the fan on the heatsink does operate at higher rpms.

You mean the "SMART FAN" function. This should solve you're problem.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006

Not everyone has YOUR motherboard, ya know.

ibticktock

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Keep commenting about how the Antec heatsink/fan is working out for you and what your components are. I have been looking at this particular CPU cooler for a E6600 and Gigabyte 965P-DS3. My main concern is what the noise level is as I am not a heavy overclocker. Incidentaly, on this MB I also had major problems with the stock fan actually coming to a stop for long periods of time. I finally had to completely disable the BIOS section that allowed it to vary the fan speed in favor of having the fan on 100% of the time.

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007

Not everyone has YOUR motherboard, ya know.

That's true. Unfortunately, the original poster didn't post his system specs, so I was trying to be general in describing the possible existence of a 'Quiet Fan' function that may be reducing the fan speed.

To the original poster: posting your system specs would help us to help you more efficiently and accurately :)

ssgmun5000

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
This behaviour is most likely not related to any defect in your heatsink or fan. More likely is that the motherboard has a 'Quiet Fan' function, and is monitoring the temperature of the CPU and determining the most appropriate fan speed.

In order to check this, you will need an application that monitors the fan speed and CPU temp in windows (SpeedFan for example), and then monitor both as you increase load on the CPU. If all is ok, then you should notice the fan speed increasing as the CPU temp increases.

I would first check the CPU temp in BIOS for a few minutes to make sure it is not excessive before testing in Windows (just in case there is a defect). Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to increase load on the CPU whilst in BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Thanx that did the trick. Now its time overclock this puppy.

Keep commenting about how the Antec heatsink/fan is working out for you and what your components are. I have been looking at this particular CPU cooler for a E6600 and Gigabyte 965P-DS3. My main concern is what the noise level is as I am not a heavy overclocker. Incidentaly, on this MB I also had major problems with the stock fan actually coming to a stop for long periods of time. I finally had to completely disable the BIOS section that allowed it to vary the fan speed in favor of having the fan on 100% of the time.

Its really quiet. Heck I just did a double take cause I couldnt tell if the fan was spinning or not.

Here are my specs

E6300
GA-965p-S3
1 GB OCZ PC2-6400