Buying big screen tv online

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 15, 2004 3:09:52 PM

I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
(Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
$700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.

Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
"rraman@netneev.com"

- rr
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:45:11 PM

rraman@netneev.com (Rajesh Raman) wrote in message news:<ebd281b1.0410151009.4a0b3df7@posting.google.com>...
> I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
> rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
> whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
> (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
> $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
> people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
> recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
>
> Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
> "rraman@netneev.com"
>
> - rr

The level of service you'll get will vary from a delivery truck
dropping off a giant 200+ pound box to a pair of delivery men brining
the set into your house and assembling it for you (hook ups are
usually at additional cost).

I good friend of mine puchased his set on-line from Sears.com. The set
was delivered to his nearist Sears retailer and was delivered from
their. They did an excellent job of unpackaging the set and setting it
up for him.

I imagine Best Buy and Circut City handle rear-projection televisions
the same way (one can only hope). Some on-line retailers will just
ship the box to your door (curb-side delivery) and it's up to you to
figure out the rest.

Rear-projection CRT are extreemly fragile when dropped. I would pay
the additional cost for delivery and installation. Consider this: It's
usually less than $40, you don't have to get one of you buddies to
help move the thing (and you won't have to hurt him if he drops it),
if something is wrong with the set out of the box the installer will
likely uncover it and the second delivery is free. If something turns
out to be wrong with it a few days later, you can point out that you
paid for delivery with installation and they will come back and pickup
the set and bring you a new one.

Considering the amount you're investing in the HDTV, this should be a
no-brainer. Make sure you get delivery with installation service!

-Jeremy
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:19:52 PM

I can't tell you about buying big screen TV's online but I can tell you that
you can bargain with brick-and-mortar stores to get the retail prices down
substantially. I have found that it is not difficult to get several hundred
dollars knocked off a $3-$4,000 TV set just by quoting them a price you have
seen somewhere else or telling them the maximum you will pay. Maybe there
was a time when the retail price on the sign was set in concrete but, in my
experience, that is not true anymore.

I have recently bargained for and gotten serious price reductions at
Ultimate Electronics and Sears.

You do have to pay tax, but not shipping (although, perhaps, delivery). And
if you have to take it back, it's a hell of lot easier.

mack
austin

"Rajesh Raman" <rraman@netneev.com> wrote in message
> I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
> rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
> whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
> (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
> $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
> people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
> recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
>
> Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
> "rraman@netneev.com"
>
> - rr
Related resources
October 16, 2004 3:18:23 AM

Just stay away from Advanced Video Systems in Owego, NY. You will never get
your TV and only 95% of your payment back unless you bitch to high heavens
and call in the BBB and the Sheriff.

Took 3 months or so to get my money back.

Jim

"Rajesh Raman" <rraman@netneev.com> wrote in message
>I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
> rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
> whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
> (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
> $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
> people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
> recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
>
> Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
> "rraman@netneev.com"
>
> - rr
October 16, 2004 3:34:45 AM

Sears will match any on-line price (tv + shipping). Just take 'em a print
out of your web store quote.

That $700 savings will look awfully small when the set arrives DOA or
defective and you have to pay to ship it somewhere for service. I promise
you, the local dealers won't touch it with a stick...or they'll put it at
the end of a VERY long repair line and it'll be gone for months. They just
love to do that to guys who bought on line.

"Rajesh Raman" <rraman@netneev.com> wrote in message
>I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
> rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
> whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
> (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
> $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
> people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
> recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
>
> Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
> "rraman@netneev.com"
>
> - rr
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 4:49:50 AM

jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote in message news:<b0738dc6.0410151445.27952883@posting.google.com>...
> rraman@netneev.com (Rajesh Raman) wrote in message news:<ebd281b1.0410151009.4a0b3df7@posting.google.com>...
> > I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
> > rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
> > whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
> > (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
> > $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
> > people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
> > recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
> >
> > Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
> > "rraman@netneev.com"
> >
> > - rr
>
> The level of service you'll get will vary from a delivery truck
> dropping off a giant 200+ pound box to a pair of delivery men brining
> the set into your house and assembling it for you (hook ups are
> usually at additional cost).
>
> I good friend of mine puchased his set on-line from Sears.com. The set
> was delivered to his nearist Sears retailer and was delivered from
> their. They did an excellent job of unpackaging the set and setting it
> up for him.
>
> I imagine Best Buy and Circut City handle rear-projection televisions
> the same way (one can only hope). Some on-line retailers will just
> ship the box to your door (curb-side delivery) and it's up to you to
> figure out the rest.
>
> Rear-projection CRT are extreemly fragile when dropped. I would pay
> the additional cost for delivery and installation. Consider this: It's
> usually less than $40, you don't have to get one of you buddies to
> help move the thing (and you won't have to hurt him if he drops it),
> if something is wrong with the set out of the box the installer will
> likely uncover it and the second delivery is free. If something turns
> out to be wrong with it a few days later, you can point out that you
> paid for delivery with installation and they will come back and pickup
> the set and bring you a new one.
>
> Considering the amount you're investing in the HDTV, this should be a
> no-brainer. Make sure you get delivery with installation service!
>
> -Jeremy

I don't think most people would consider Sears, Best Buy or Circuit
City to be online retailers, certainly not the type of online
retailers the OP is asking about. While these companies also offer
online purchasing, they all have large retail stores chains, so they
are equipped to handle setup, delivery, returns, etc. Nor do they
offer $700 - $1500, if any, price differences from their store
operations. The kind of operation he's asking about has few, if any,
real stores and does almost all of their business via the web.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:54:21 PM

> I don't think most people would consider Sears, Best Buy or Circuit
> City to be online retailers, certainly not the type of online
> retailers the OP is asking about. While these companies also offer
> online purchasing, they all have large retail stores chains, so they
> are equipped to handle setup, delivery, returns, etc. Nor do they
> offer $700 - $1500, if any, price differences from their store
> operations. The kind of operation he's asking about has few, if any,
> real stores and does almost all of their business via the web.

Thanks for pointing this out. I guess the lure to on-line (non brick
and mortar) e-tailers is cost savings. Doing a quick Froogle search on
the Hitachi 46F500 the lowest on-line price I could find was: $1249
with free shipping.

http://store.hdtvtime.com/46f500.html

In contradt Sears.com offers this same set for $1499 with an optional
$50 in home delivery/installation charge.

The "free" shipping hdtvtime.com offers is the curb-side delivery. I
think it's a very unwise decision to select this type of delivery
method for a rear-projection HDTV. Now, this e-tailer also offers
"white glove delivery" where their delivery drivers are insured and
they can come into your house and unpackage/setup the set for an
additioanl $85 (they must be contracting this service to local
partners, I'm sure it's not available everywhere).

In this scenario, best case with the on-line e-tailer, your going to
pay $1249 for the product and $85 for delivery for a total of $1334
(you've probably circumvented paying taxes by buying on-line). If
something goes wrong the set will have to be sent back and you'll
probably have to wait more than a week before you'll get your
replacement.

Now had you gone though Sears.com (our symbolic big-chain retailer),
you would have paid $1499 for the product, plus $50 for
delivery/installtion. Tag on taxes and you're going to come in between
$1650-$1700 total. What do you get for spending an extra $300 with a
brick and mortar? 1. Special cases withstanding, you'll be able to
return/exchange the product much easier (and timely) if need be 2. You
won't have to hassel to find a service center should something need be
repaired (on the flip side of this argument, you may want to shop
around for a service center). 3. You'll have the option of an extended
warrenty (flip side: extended warrenties on consumer electronics are a
bad investment anyway) 4. Most on-line e-tailers offer financing
options
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 10:00:07 PM

>Nor do they offer $700 - $1500, if any, price differences from their store
>operations.

Actually, Sears does. Their website lists the Sony KDF-60XS955 @ $4399.00.
We just bought one at the Sears store @ Barton Creek in Austin, for delivery
next Thursday, the 21st, for $3652.00. Told the salesperson the price I had
been quoted from another TV outlet here in Austin ($3699.00) and they gave
it to me for that price minus another 10% of the difference between the
store price and the price I had been quoted. That's a $747 difference --
not chicken feed. Plus tax & $45 for delivery.

In this case, I did not have an ad or anything proving that I had actually
been quoted that price (which I had been). Some stores may ask for some
kind of written proof. In my case, the manager believed me and OK'd the
sale with no problem.

mack
austin

"Chet Hayes" <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
> jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote in message
> > rraman@netneev.com (Rajesh Raman) wrote in message
> > > I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
> > > rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
> > > whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
> > > (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
> > > $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
> > > people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
> > > recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
> > >
> > > Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
> > > "rraman@netneev.com"
> > >
> > > - rr
> >
> > The level of service you'll get will vary from a delivery truck
> > dropping off a giant 200+ pound box to a pair of delivery men brining
> > the set into your house and assembling it for you (hook ups are
> > usually at additional cost).
> >
> > I good friend of mine puchased his set on-line from Sears.com. The set
> > was delivered to his nearist Sears retailer and was delivered from
> > their. They did an excellent job of unpackaging the set and setting it
> > up for him.
> >
> > I imagine Best Buy and Circut City handle rear-projection televisions
> > the same way (one can only hope). Some on-line retailers will just
> > ship the box to your door (curb-side delivery) and it's up to you to
> > figure out the rest.
> >
> > Rear-projection CRT are extreemly fragile when dropped. I would pay
> > the additional cost for delivery and installation. Consider this: It's
> > usually less than $40, you don't have to get one of you buddies to
> > help move the thing (and you won't have to hurt him if he drops it),
> > if something is wrong with the set out of the box the installer will
> > likely uncover it and the second delivery is free. If something turns
> > out to be wrong with it a few days later, you can point out that you
> > paid for delivery with installation and they will come back and pickup
> > the set and bring you a new one.
> >
> > Considering the amount you're investing in the HDTV, this should be a
> > no-brainer. Make sure you get delivery with installation service!
> >
> > -Jeremy
>
> I don't think most people would consider Sears, Best Buy or Circuit
> City to be online retailers, certainly not the type of online
> retailers the OP is asking about. While these companies also offer
> online purchasing, they all have large retail stores chains, so they
> are equipped to handle setup, delivery, returns, etc. Nor do they
> offer $700 - $1500, if any, price differences from their store
> operations. The kind of operation he's asking about has few, if any,
> real stores and does almost all of their business via the web.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:46:05 AM

You can't blame them either. Personalized service is the only thing they
have to offer, it's what
keeps them in business.

"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> Sears will match any on-line price (tv + shipping). Just take 'em a print
> out of your web store quote.
>
> That $700 savings will look awfully small when the set arrives DOA or
> defective and you have to pay to ship it somewhere for service. I promise
> you, the local dealers won't touch it with a stick...or they'll put it at
> the end of a VERY long repair line and it'll be gone for months. They
> just love to do that to guys who bought on line.
>

> "Rajesh Raman" <rraman@netneev.com> wrote in message
>>I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
>> rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
>> whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
>> (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
>> $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
>> people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
>> recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
>>
>> Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
>> "rraman@netneev.com"
>>
>> - rr
October 17, 2004 11:11:09 PM

If you buy from an "Unauthorized" dealer online, you may get a hard time
from the manufacturer for warranty work.
You need to see proof that the dealer is in fact an "Authorized" dealer.

"Rajesh Raman" <rraman@netneev.com> wrote in message
> I am planning to buy a 60"+ (Sony KDF60XBR950 or Mitsubishi WD62525)
> rear-projection HDTV. One of the big question in my mind is that
> whether I should buy it on-line or from one of my local stores
> (Circuit City, Good Guys etc.). The price difference is anywhere from
> $700 to $1500. I would like to know about what kind of experiences
> people have had buying on-line, what are the pitfalls and also
> recommendations on who are the reliable on-line vendors.
>
> Thanks for help. If you could, you can e-mail me directly at
> "rraman@netneev.com"
>
> - rr
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:19:19 AM

JAS wrote:
> If you buy from an "Unauthorized" dealer online, you may get a hard time
> from the manufacturer for warranty work.
> You need to see proof that the dealer is in fact an "Authorized" dealer.

In most states this is simply not true. If the product purchased has a
USA warranty in the packaging material, most state laws require that the
manufacturers honor the warranty. Check with your state's consumer
affairs office to find out your warranty rights. State law and
regulation trump dealer agreements.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 6:16:00 PM

"Sears will match any on-line price (tv + shipping). Just take 'em a
print
out of your web store quote."

I have heard this too. Do yourself a favor, and check out what they
have online. You could really be saving yourself some headaches- I
have always had a positive experience there.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/vertical.do?BV_SessionID...

It also says, they have free shipping if you mail in the rebate.
That could be another big saver.
!