Should i get a directx 10 graphics now?

burnt1ce85

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I know this is probably an over-asked question but i want to buy a new graphics card so i can play the latest PC games at pretty good resolution and FPS.

But i'm worried that it may not be a good investment since mid-range cards are only Directx 9.

Should i buy a card like the Nvidia 7950gt or wait until the nvidia 8800 drops in price to get directx 10?

Is directx10 cards backward compatible with directx 9 cards.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
DirectX 10 cards are backward compatible with DirectX 9.

IMO, look at your budget... if you can easily afford a more expensive DX 10 card, go for it.

If you're looking to play DX10 games, there are none out yet, so waiting might be the more prudent option. However, you'd be paying X amount of $ for a mid-range DX9 card and then X amount for a DX10 card down the road. Would the DX10 card drop enough?

For example:

A=mid-range card DX9
B=high end DX10 card

If A=$200 and B=$600 NOW
and B will be $400 in 6 mths

You might as well buy B now... $200 for A now and $400 for B in 6mths is the same price as B now.

I hope I've thoroughly confused you. :)

G

go to newegg.com man you can find 8800 gts 320 MB for 250 dollars now

randomizer

Champion
Make sure you got at least 2gb RAM too. Otherwise you will bottleneck your performance and not be able to get the best from your card. Like my x1950 pro for example, in FEAR it takes anything I throw at it. But I still use medium textures because otherwise I get stutter from excess paging of large textures.

EDIT: The framerate is still fairly hight, its just the frequent short pauses that can really bring down the enjoyment of the game.