New system problems

stenweb

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Hi.

I've just bought the following for a new system and getting all sorts of problems (see below)

Asus P5B Deluxe / WiFI-AP motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
Cruicial Ballstic 2x1Gb PC2-6400 DDR2
XFX Geforce 8800GTX 320Mb XT Edition
700W PSU

Basically, what is happening is that the board is powering (the ASUS logo on it has the LED). When power is applied, the CPU fan starts up, then after about 5 seconds, the graphics fan starts up. However, I'm not getting any output onto the monitor, and not getting any POST codes.

I'm guessing one of the new components is possibly faulty, but I haven't got a clue which one(s) it could be, as I don't have any spares to try. I've tried moving the RAM around, moving the graphics card to the other PCI-E slot, swapping the PSU for another one, but still no luck.

Short of getting one of each component again, any ideas?

TIA

Try pulling out one ram stick and see if it will POST. If not, pull it out and put in the other ram stick. Try swapping the other potentially faulty components into other machines with compatible hardware. If those machines still work, your board came DOA.

stenweb

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Cheers - tried the RAM but still no luck. Guess I'm going to have to find someone with similar components.

If the Motherboard is DOA, would it still power up, etc? The LEDs on it are still working, as are things like Reset, etc.

Mondoman

Splendid
I had an incompatibility between my Ballistix and my MB; it worked fine with Corsair XMS2, so I got the Ballistix replaced under warranty. You might buy a cheap 512MB stick of DDR2 to test if that's the problem.

stenweb

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Further testing:

Same components, but just CPU, PSU and Motherboard (no ram or graphics). I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps (which I believe is "no memory" message").

Add the memory, and I get 1 long beep, then 3 short beeps (not sure what message is).

Add the graphics and I don't get any beeps.

Remove the ram, keeping the graphics and I get 1 long, then 2 short.

I'm guessing that my CPU is ok, and the problems is possibly the mobo, RAM or the Geforce card?

Further testing:

Same components, but just CPU, PSU and Motherboard (no ram or graphics). I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps (which I believe is "no memory" message").

Add the memory, and I get 1 long beep, then 3 short beeps (not sure what message is).

Add the graphics and I don't get any beeps.

Remove the ram, keeping the graphics and I get 1 long, then 2 short.

I'm guessing that my CPU is ok, and the problems is possibly the mobo, RAM or the Geforce card?

Have you made sure any power connectors the video card requires are plugged into it?