JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
we got a new pc w/ a 500gb seagate and it was quiet and we installed vista on it. Then we transfered all the file from our old drive that had xp on it. The seagate then became noisy after the transfer. Then, we got another hitachi 500gb drive and put vista on it and it was quiet, then we transfered all the files from the seagate and the hitachi became noisy. So my question is, can the file transfered i did be making the drives noisy by doing somethting w/ some file that is not compatible w/ vista? Thank you so much.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
we got a new pc w/ a 500gb seagate and it was quiet and we installed vista on it. Then we transfered all the file from our old drive that had xp on it. The seagate then became noisy after the transfer. Then, we got another hitachi 500gb drive and put vista on it and it was quiet, then we transfered all the files from the seagate and the hitachi became noisy. So my question is, can the file transfered i did be making the drives noisy by doing somethting w/ some file that is not compatible w/ vista? Thank you so much.

defrag the hdd...

the more data you move, the more data will be splattered over all the hdd surface
the more the magnetic reader of the hdd as to move to find the splatterd data, the more noise it does!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

defrag the hdd...

the more data you move, the more data will be splattered over all the hdd surface
the more the magnetic reader of the hdd as to move to find the splatterd data, the more noise it does!

You beat me to it :oops: . But you're right; defrag the disc and it should quiet down.

inquisitor03

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Interesting i had the exact same thing happen with two seagate 7200.10 320gb drives with Vista. The thing that made it worse was that with Vista Superfetch caching files in the background all i could hear the was the hard drive being constantly accessed. Turning it off allievated some of the noise and actually found it made for better performance!

I hate having to hear the drive head move around like some kind of mentally deranged drummer in my pc so i returned them and went back to XP. I then had two silent HDDs again.

Recently though i had to re-install XP and the system drive that was formated with xp is now making noises again after transferring my old files back onto it.

Anybody got any ideas for this, could it be the way they are formatted or how the files are transferred back onto the drives in a fragmented way???

**EDIT: Have tried a defrag but didnt help.

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
i do regular defrags though, may have to report this to microsoft if other people are having the same problem, and how do i turn off that Super caching thing?

inquisitor03

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
As i remember its called SuperFetch and is a Service which you can disable.
Theres another one that's a service also though but can't remember the name of it, sounds like cache or something, it's also a service. Can't check as dont have Vista installed anymore, can anyone else help out?

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
I have a similar problem.
My harddisk (250 GB Seagate) is quiet when the computer starts up, but starts spinning like a deranged rabbit after the computer has been on for about 6 hours and continues to break the sound barrier till it switched off.
This even happens when i have logged out of all the accounts in xp.
I have tried reinstalling xp, but no success.

Is there any way i can shut off the drive when not in use or something?
I hate it when the drive decides to raise hell at night!

inquisitor03

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Are you sure it's not your antivirus running a scan or something similar that could be scanning your hard disks???

If not try going into display properties > screen saver > power...

You'll find an option to turn of the hard disk after a certain amount of time has passed. This only works if the drive is nto being accessed, as soon as it is the timer will be reset. So if some kind of app is accessing your disk this wont help.

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
Could be reading the file data and updating metadata for that file on a different part of the disk (maybe last accessed time).

Unix filesystems have a option 'noatime' for mounting, so writing the time files were last accessed is disbled, as it slows the disk performance, and is only needed on secure system files where you want to know if they've been accessed.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
As i remember its called SuperFetch and is a Service which you can disable.
Theres another one that's a service also though but can't remember the name of it, sounds like cache or something, it's also a service. Can't check as dont have Vista installed anymore, can anyone else help out?

To turn superfetch off, just go into msconfig > services, then just look for it and uncheck the box. tada!