Sign in with
Your question

ICS

Last response: in Networking
December 23, 2003 6:12:05 PM

Well i am just made my computer and want to to shar me internet connection. I will be dialing up from a 98SE so my XP pro will be connecting thought the 98se computer, i have tried different things and nothing has worked. i saw that after settingup the XP's own home network to setup, i came accross there should be a protocal call ICS. After doing the steps to install there chould be this protocal and its not there, This is my setting;
ON WIN 98SE:
Clients for Microsift Networks
Dialup Adapter
Dialup Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
Realtek RTL8139/810x family fast Ethernet NIC
IPX/SPX- compatable-protcol - >Realtek RTL8139/810x family fast Ethernet NIC
TCP/IP ->Dialup Adapter
TCP/IP ->Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
TCP/IP ->Realtek RTL8139/810x family fast Ethernet NIC
file and printer sharing....

ON XP
On the network bridge
Client for Microsoft networks
File and printer.....
QoS Packet Scheduler
NWLink ipx/spx/netBIOS Compatable Trasport protocal
internet protocol (TCP/IP)

So any idea's?

More about : ics

December 23, 2003 9:27:40 PM

Did you try running the network wizard on the 98 computer, makeing the disk, and then running it on the xp machine.

I may be wrong but when I was doing this on my computer and my friends I thought i remember seeing a note saying the the xp machine is the one that would have to run the ICS. I took that to mean that a xp machine could not connect thru a 9x machine using ICS. Hopefully I am wrong. Someone correct me please if I am.
December 23, 2003 10:08:31 PM

I'm pretty sure XP can connect through 98 ICS.

Sorry if this insults your intelligence, but you have got the XP machine set to auto obtain IP address havent you?

Best Regards
Jonathan
Related resources
December 24, 2003 3:31:11 PM

Yeah i it is Auto IP, I've tried the thing witht setup disk on both computers but that has not worked.
IF You cannot run ICS on Xp to run through 98se then i am gonna be stuck!
anything else anyone can add to this?
December 27, 2003 3:51:22 PM

On the xp machine, under internet options / connections, have you setup the lan settings? It should auto detect an ip address or you can set a static address if you want.
December 29, 2003 12:55:54 PM

If the 98se machine is the one that has the internet connection that you wish to share then ICS must be installed and enabled on it.

ICS on Win98 is more difficult to get running than on 2000/xp

You need to install ICS from the "Windows Components" section in the "Add/Remove Programs" part of the Control Panel.

Once this is installed, then you can add ICS to your Networking Configuration, in the same way as you'd add a protocol to it (such as TCP or IPX)

You'll probably need to reboot after doing that bit.

Also, when sharing a connection on Windows 98, the IP address of the 98 PC *MUST* be 192.168.0.1. Set it manually.

*You will recieve a warning about this when setting up ICS if the IP address is not currently 192.168.0.1.*

The WinXP machine can be left on Auto IP -- but setting it yourself to 192.168.0.XXX won't hurt.

Hope this helps.

Fatal Error #449: Unable to process the "Go to Hell" command specified.
January 15, 2004 8:12:42 AM

Setting an Ip address statically isn't even an option, if you want the 98 machine to see the Xp machine you must set an IP address on the XP machine (unless you want to put a router inbetween)... the XP auto detect is crap, it gives a 169.254.x.x/16 address, there is no way for it to find a 192.168.x.x/24 address.

It's auto detect features only work if all of the machines use it as they will all be given a 169.254.x.x/16 address... I personally would be setting the XP machine with an IP address of 192.168.0.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

With 100 Million neurons in the brain vouching for it, it can't be wrong...
January 20, 2004 8:07:12 PM

That is not auto detect. It only uses that IP range when it cant get one from DHCP or if the IP is not set manual.

As for ICS if you really cant get it to work (cant remember if it will or not, but fairly sure it will) you could look for a third party proxy server to put onto 98 computer and run your net for XP through that.
!