WIN ME FREEZES

G

I have a compaq presario with WINDOWS ME. The computer works fine until five minuts into my work it freezes. Do you think this is a software problem, I deleted Mcafee virus scan. It still freezes. Our kids use the comp also maybe they did somthing I dont know. help

Makaveli

Splendid
K here's on thing to try. Go to start then run, then type in msconfig. Once the window comes up go to the startup tab.
And remove all the programs you don't need on the startup.
If you didn't make it this far, just press Ctrl + Alt + Del
and remove them from windows as soon as you start and on the desktop. It might be a program causing the lockup! Try that and get back to me, Also what are your system resources at? Off a boot you should have it in the 85% or higher range!

G

careful with compaq drivers... I had to assemble entire driver packages for my sound card. The ones on their support page only work if you keep their operating system.did i mention I hate them.

Bent on taking Compaq down

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>”…Also what are your system resources at? Off a boot you should have it in the 85% or higher range!”</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.aumha.org/a/resource.htm" target="_new">They </A>refer to MS Knowledge Base article and say that

“...having only 50-60% Resources available is not a problem at all. <font color=blue>You can easily have resources drop to 10-15% without a problem...</font color=blue> however, that Win ME handles low Resources much better than its predecessors…
Nonetheless, on balance, there are very serious Resources problems that plague Win ME that do not plague Win95 or Win98..”