Samsung SIR-TS360 and QAM HDTV?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
October 16, 2004 12:54:32 AM

Does anyone know for sure if the Samsung SIR-TS360 HDTV satellite
receiver will receive/display unencrypted QAM HDTV stations from cable
TV?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 16, 2004 7:00:57 PM

Doesn't look like it. The specs only list NTSC and ATSC receivers.

Key Features:
» receives and decodes all over-the-air HDTV/SDTV (ATSC) formats,
DIRECTV (standard and high-def) signals, plus over-the-air analog (NTSC)
signals and most unscrambled analog cable channels
» 7-day Advanced Program Guide displays program information for DIRECTV
and digital and analog over-the-air signals in a single on-screen guide
(requires DIRECTV subscription)
» one-touch VCR timer control (via IR control jack)
» multibrand remote (controls up to 5 components)
» 2 set of A/V outputs (2 composite, 1 S-video, and one component
video)
» DVI digital video output with HDCP copy protection
» RGB output - D-sub 15-pin connector
» 3 RF inputs (Satellite, Antenna, Cable)
» 2 sets of A/V inputs (1 composite/S-video, and one 480i/480p
component video)
» optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby® Digital/PCM audio
» RS-232 port
» phone jack
» 16-15/16"W x 2-3/4"H x 13-3/16"D
» warranty: 1 year parts & labor

Scanning Off-Air/Cable Channels: If you have connected cable TV or an
antenna, the receiver can scan for available signals from digital sources
(ATSC), analog sources (NTSC) or cable (NTSC) services. If the receiver is
picking up digital channels, you can check the signal strength of the
incoming signal. If any of the off-air analog antenna channels appear
out-of-tune, you can fine tune them for the best picture.

"Agent Smith" <spam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know for sure if the Samsung SIR-TS360 HDTV satellite
> receiver will receive/display unencrypted QAM HDTV stations from cable
> TV?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 16, 2004 7:45:11 PM

> "Agent Smith" <spam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know for sure if the Samsung SIR-TS360 HDTV satellite
> > receiver will receive/display unencrypted QAM HDTV stations from cable
> > TV?

No, but the new LG 3200a does. I would avoid the Sammy
as it has had MANY problems with audio dropouts and
error messages connected with Directv. Check this out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid...

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
a b Ô Samsung
October 16, 2004 9:13:48 PM

On 16 Oct 2004 15:45:11 GMT, cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:

>No, but the new LG 3200a does. I would avoid the Sammy
>as it has had MANY problems with audio dropouts and
>error messages connected with Directv. Check this out:

Is the LG 3200a a DIRECTV receiver too or just OTA?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 16, 2004 10:23:21 PM

Agent Smith <spam@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2004 15:45:11 GMT, cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:
>
> >No, but the new LG 3200a does. I would avoid the Sammy
> >as it has had MANY problems with audio dropouts and
> >error messages connected with Directv. Check this out:
>
> Is the LG 3200a a DIRECTV receiver too or just OTA?

Yes it is a Directv receiver. It's the same as the Sony HD300.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 17, 2004 5:59:28 AM

cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:

> > "Agent Smith" <spam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know for sure if the Samsung SIR-TS360 HDTV satellite
> > > receiver will receive/display unencrypted QAM HDTV stations from
> > > cable TV?
>
> No, but the new LG 3200a does. I would avoid the Sammy
> as it has had MANY problems with audio dropouts and
> error messages connected with Directv. Check this out:
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid...
> 53
>
> Chip

Now I am not sure the 3200a has a QAM tuner in it. A review I read
said that it did, but a check of lge.com does not show it. Sorry.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 20, 2004 12:31:32 AM

On 17 Oct 2004 01:59:28 GMT, cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:

>Now I am not sure the 3200a has a QAM tuner in it. A review I read
>said that it did, but a check of lge.com does not show it. Sorry.
>Chip

They have their manual online and it's not mentioned in the manual
either.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 20, 2004 1:05:53 AM

James Thompson <james_nospam_thompson@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2004 01:59:28 GMT, cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:
>
> >Now I am not sure the 3200a has a QAM tuner in it. A review I read
> >said that it did, but a check of lge.com does not show it. Sorry.
> >Chip
>
> They have their manual online and it's not mentioned in the manual
> either.

I just got the LG 3200a from Directv to replace my Samsung 360.
It definitely does not have a QAM tuner in it.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 21, 2004 2:13:47 AM

On 19 Oct 2004 21:05:53 GMT, cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:

>I just got the LG 3200a from Directv to replace my Samsung 360.
>It definitely does not have a QAM tuner in it.

Thanks! I was getting ready to get one online. Looks like a great
receiver and a QAM tuner would make it near perfect. There's got to
be something else out there. I can't be the only one who wants
something like this.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 21, 2004 2:13:48 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:13:47 GMT, James Thompson <spam@sonic.net>
wrote:

>On 19 Oct 2004 21:05:53 GMT, cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:
>
>>I just got the LG 3200a from Directv to replace my Samsung 360.
>>It definitely does not have a QAM tuner in it.
>
>Thanks! I was getting ready to get one online. Looks like a great
>receiver and a QAM tuner would make it near perfect. There's got to
>be something else out there. I can't be the only one who wants
>something like this.

I'm using the LG 3510A which does have QAM capability and also has a
built-in DVD player that upconverts to 720p or 1080i when used with
the DVI out.

A couple of minor issues:

There is only one coax in , so you must either use an antenna OR the
cable, but one must be disconnected to use the other.

(Mine is a refurb so the following may be unique to my 3510A)
When switching between channels of different resolutions, the picture
becomes and remains blank. This problem goes away when I leave the
resolution at either 720p or 1080i.

Also at 1080i there is a faint moving vertical band visible only
during dark scenes. This problem does not occur at 720p or if I use
the component video cables instead of DVI (anyone have any ideas about
this one?)

My logic in buying the 3510A is that when Fox affiliate, which is
currently only OTA does eventually go to TWC, I can still use the DVD
player.

-Jeff
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
October 21, 2004 2:35:47 AM

James Thompson <spam@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2004 21:05:53 GMT, cjdaytonjrnospam@cox.net wrote:
>
> >I just got the LG 3200a from Directv to replace my Samsung 360.
> >It definitely does not have a QAM tuner in it.
>
> Thanks! I was getting ready to get one online. Looks like a great
> receiver and a QAM tuner would make it near perfect. There's got to
> be something else out there. I can't be the only one who wants
> something like this.

I have the next best thing, a QAM tuner in my Mits 55511!

!