Weird Noise

Murderous1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I just put together my new system everything is in working order...As i was configuring the BIOS it came to a point where it asked if i wanted to save it..as soon as i hit yes it made this loud continous noise. According to the manual its either the ram or the BIOS Rom? Any advice on what i should do to correct this is appreciated..

Btw my CPU is running 60C idle...thats not normal is it? Stock HSF

Murderous1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
whoops sorry

XFX 7900GS Vid Card
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Gigabyte G965PDS3-Rev3.3
Western Digital Sata hard drive 250Gig
Samsung Black Sata Optical Drive
G-Skill 2Gig DDR2-800 Dual Channel Ram

Mondoman

Splendid
Clear the CMOS. You likely set some settings in the BIOS that are incompatible with your system, so it isn't booting properly, but instead giving you an error beep code.

Mondoman

Splendid
Follow the instructions in your MB manual. All the ones I've seen say to turn the computer off first (really off, not just the front panel switch; unplugging the PS works).

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
So i would short the two pins while the computer is on correct?
The MBs that I have seen shorting the pins while the computer is on will damage the MB. They use to come with a shorting strap and 3 pins. I would bet that too many people left them in the wrong position and burned the boards. The few that I have seen recently only have the 2 pins and no strap.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I just put together my new system everything is in working order...As i was configuring the BIOS it came to a point where it asked if i wanted to save it..as soon as i hit yes it made this loud continous noise. According to the manual its either the ram or the BIOS Rom? Any advice on what i should do to correct this is appreciated..

60c at idle is hot.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

ok buddy, u put ur hinksink on COMPLETELY WRONG... idles in the 60's? u should be idleing at 20-30degree celcius.. Reinstall that heatsink, AND CLEAN OFF THE OLD THERMAL PASTE AND REAPPLY SOME NEW THERMAL PASTE, u are running smoken hot... install THE HEATSINK right way, if u are using stock heatsink twist the pins and push them up and down an study how it works before u pop it on the motherboard...

Murderous1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Yes...i have studied the little pins...but 2 of them are not completly going into the motherboard...it takes a sufficient amount of force to get them where i got them...and im really afraid to destroy something if i really give it all i got. As far as the thermal paste...i have already removed it 2 times...1st time i removed the thermal pad off the Heatsink and 2nd time i put too much thermal paste....3rd time i put a large rice grain on it and applyed it the best i can..

AZHeat

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Is your BIOS returning the 60C idle reading? if so, may just be that your bios isn't calculcating the thermal offset correctly... wait until you can boot windows and see what Core Temp returns...

And yep - try clearing your bios settings and reboot w/ defaults until you can get it working -then change 1 thing at a time to see what caused the initial beeps on boot.

Murderous1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Ok...Yes the bios is determining the CPU idle temperature...but also i remember that i got 2 of the pins most of the way on the HSF into the motherboard and not all the way in...Im just gonna remove everything...again...and try it...thanks everyone for quick responses.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Yes...i have studied the little pins...but 2 of them are not completly going into the motherboard...it takes a sufficient amount of force to get them where i got them...

ok listen here u did not study the damn pins. it doesnt take alot of force to put them in if u do it the right fucking way, first of all take off the god damn cpu cooler, study the pins before u lock it into the motherboard, u are doing it complete wrong, a intel stock heatsink pops right on if u do it the correct way, so dont tell me u are doing it the right way, you are not!!

Mondoman

Splendid
Chill, K. We don't need that kind of language or attitude here.

1) There's no reason to think he didn't study the pins.
2) The Intel 4-pin mechanism is known to be easy to install not-quite-completely.
3) He wasn't saying he put it on the right way.

(It doesn't do much for your reputation to go postal when you're wrong on 3/3 counts...)